Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #1

Considering switching from 40D to K10D

Hi, 1st post. This is in no way meant to start mud slinging or flaming, although I know that's difficult with a thread like this if certain people get involved. I also know that I'll likely get 99%+ recommendations to do the switch, so please try to be as unbiased as possible try to focus your recommendations to be aimed at my particular individual situation. Ok, here goes:

I have only owned Canon DSLR's and this is my 1st time thinking about changing formats. I currently use a 40D (17-40L is my main lens). I'm not a pro, far from it, and I would consider myself to be a mid ranged hobbyist that takes photos of landscapes and family type stuff and the occasional still life. The most active subjects that I photograph are my kids and pets. I have a 13 year old daughter that's into track, swimming and gymnastics....and a 2 year old that's the typical kid running around like crazy. I'm not into wildlife or bird photography at all. After reading many reviews on many different web sites (and magazines), I'm getting an overall feeling that IQ is very similar between the 40D and k10D. The main thing that attracts me to the Pentax is their Shake Reduction built into the body itself (which apparently works pretty well) and of course the price. The problem is that I do like my 40D but the 17-40's f/4 max is a bit slow for my indoor hand held shots, although it performs well in most other situations. I must admit that I get very good results straight out of the camera in the large Jpeg setting and don't need to do alot of PP, and when I shoot RAW, well, I assume the time it takes would be similar PP wise to the Pentax. To obtain a setup with IS and an f/2.8 aperture via Canon, I've got to spend $2,000 just for the 40D body and 1 lens (the 17-55IS). Whereas, for less than $1,000 I can have a k10D (SR built in) and a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 (other options?). Would I NOT be able to take nice photos of the kids' activities with a high "keeper" rate (both indoors and outdoors) with the k10D due to the reportedly inferior autofocus issues? If not, I'd probably stick with the Canon as that would make the extra $$ investment worth it (to me).

Sorry if I rambled too much, but I'm trying to be thorough and collect as much info as possible before making what I consider to be a pretty significant change. Thanks for any input.

Mark

01-01-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the most important wording in your post is "reportidly inferior autofocus"

It has never bothered me, and I get a high rate of keepers,

IS is an important function but if you are looking at gymnastics, IS is useless regardless of whether it is in the lens or the camera. IS removes camera movement from image blur but IS cannot stop the subject from moving. For that you need fast lesnes, and high ISO.

One thing that is very true is that there are a lot of old K mount 50mm F1.4 lenses around that woudl work just fine for gymnastics, and the extra 2 stops over even the best new zooms costs you about $100-$150., True they are manual focus, but you will know the distance (to uneven bars, vaulting horse, balance beam etc. Hardest shot would be the floor routine, since it has the most movement.
01-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the Pentax Forums Mark.

Since you already have a good camera I think that it might be in your best interest to wait for a short while. And see if the rumors about a couple of new models being released is true.
Some people are saying that the press release will happen towards the end of January, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Who knows, one of the new models might have a new feature you'll want to get.
And if not he prices of the present models might just drop a little.
01-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
LG,
Thanks for the response. I'm pretty familiar with IS/SR and both my wife and I like it very much in the Canon lenses. What we don't like is the extra cost associated with their nicer IS lenses, thus my interest in a camera body that has the IS/SR integrated so that we can have that advantage in all our lenses without spending an arm and a leg to get it.

Also, I must admit that I'm not extremely interested in manual focusing, I suppose my photography style is a lazy product of the digital age, so I tend to prefer an accurate, quick auto-focusing system, which is excellent in the Canon system and (again, "reportedly") not as good with the k10D. And I say "reportedly" because I have no 1st hand experience with the Pentax system at all, I'm just using the information I've gathered in comparison articles in magazines and online reviews regarding the k10D.

laker, thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

01-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Mark,
I don't know the answer to your question on auto focus speed....so I would go along to a camera store that stocks the K10D and have a play.
Good Luck.
01-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Can't you get a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 with Can*n mount?
Ok the combo doesn't have SR but SR alone is hardly enough reason to switch system I think.
01-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Can't you get a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 with Can*n mount?
Ok the combo doesn't have SR but SR alone is hardly enough reason to switch system I think.
Yes, the Sigma is available in Canon mount. I have owned a few Canon lenses with IS and several without it, and both my wife and I prefer to have IS available to us with all our lenses because we find most of our "rejects" are seemingly due to camera shake with low shutter speeds. The f/2.8 would help with the Sigma/Canon combo, but the Sigma/Pentax combo would have BOTH f/2.8 and IS (SR). To get the f/2.8 and IS combo in a Canon, we'd have to buy the Canon 17-55IS for around $850-900, making my cost for the 40D and 1 lens approx. $2,000. Whereas, I can buy a k10D body for under $600 (after rebate) and the Sigma lens for $300 or so, bringing my investment down to the $900'ish total. $2,000 vs. $900 for a body plus 1 lens is a HUGE difference in my book... That's the problem that has brought me to post this thread.

If I had more confidence in the autofocus system and low light performance of the k10D, I would sell my Canon gear and buy the Pentax without a doubt....thus the need for feedback from people with 1st hand experience.
01-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I have a Canon 20D with the same L lens you stated, and I also have a K10D.

I much prefer Pentax glass to Canon glass for its richness in colour, etc. I am being quite honest about this. Pentax has always made phenomenal optics at a price that people can afford.

As for AF speed, I can honestly say it is slower then the Canon system and it is fairly noticeable if you compare both systems side by side. There is no doubt that USM built into a lens is faster then any motor built in the body. However, I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't all that much slower in actual use, or at least, I did not notice it as much in actual use. It was fast enough to lock onto some really fast action in a very dimly lit gymnasium with consistency.

For example, I took out the Pentax FA 50 f/1.4 for a test spin at a school event. This photo was taken using f/3.5, ISO 800, at 1/90th of a second.

I myself would not be all that concerned with the slowness of the AF compared to Canon. It isn't so slow that you will miss photos.

My advice to you is this, be sure to try before you buy.

Last edited by Chako; 01-01-2008 at 07:23 PM.
01-02-2008, 06:51 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Having used both systems I'll try to play the neutral point here as best as I can.

I must agree with Chako, Pentax makes some truly stunning glass and while I found the selection to be sparse when I was shooting Pentax I found that the results spoke for themselves (even the kit 18-55 churned out some fantastic colours). The SR built into the body is a neat idea, however it's not really the be-all-end-all solution that people play it out to be. For some things indoor I found SR to be a nice benefit, however when I invested in my FA 50mm f1.4 that changed as I found I was able to get the shutter speeds I needed without having to turn on SR.

For the Canon side, the 40D is a very nice camera and I own one myself as well (40D, 1DMkIIN and a 400D) and while it does not offer you the built in image stabilisation it's certainly a versatile camera and more than adequate to fill both prosumer and professional needs. I completely agree with you on the cost basis of Canon, once you step into IS territory your lenses can go up anywhere from $300-$600. Personally, I own one lens that has IS which is my 100-400 L lens and that's it, all others I've come to use the common practice of using a shutter speed 1/focal-length or greater to prevent camera shake.

Go test out the K10D at a local shop, get a feel for it and try some Pentax glass.. Also, have a look at the Canon 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.4 as they are generally less expensive lenses but provide more than adequate light for indoor shooting. If you've invested in a 40D and 17-40 f4 L then you are going to be reselling at a loss but going from Canon to Pentax you should be able to get a significant amount of gear for what your current setup will fetch.
01-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amyandmark3 Quote
photos of landscapes and family type stuff and the occasional still life. The most active subjects that I photograph are my kids and pets. I have a 13 year old daughter that's into track, swimming and gymnastics....and a 2 year old that's the typical kid running around like crazy.
Given that list, I'd keep the 40D.
Remember that SR/IS doesn't do much for *moving* objects. You'll get a lot of motion blur from hand movements w/ kids, e.g., or indoor sports, etc.
You'll get better AF capability w/ the 40D (predictive tracking and low-light focusing) as well (I'm not saying the K10D sucks but the 40D is comparatively better for these situations and in some cases significantly).

Crank up the 40D's ISO (it has better high ISO capability than the K10D) and crank up your shutter speed to 1/90th indoors and underexpose slightly for more shutter speed, run in RAW and do PP afterwards to brighten the images back up.

If you want to continue the K10D route, see if you can rent one for a weekend or ask if there's a Pentaxian nearby that would be willing to trade cameras w/ you for the weekend...

ken