Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Ever get a dslr repaired...

Ever get a dslr repaired...how did it turn out?

Were they able to fix it perfectly?

02-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I broke the top of my K20d in a fall and sent it to CHRIS in Arizona. They took about 5 weeks but repaired it perfectly and even cleaned the sensor.
02-07-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had to send in my K20D after a tripod tumble and it came back as good as new,
02-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I have had two sensors fail on my K20D within an eight month period. Both times, the camera was repaired flawlessly by C.R.I.S. in Arizona, they are a very reputable outfit and I think that they are Pentax's National Repair Center.

02-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Does anybody want to post about how much their repair cost? Does the completed repair come with any warranty?

I am seriously thinking of sending in my beloved K10D for "repairs" but more like an overhaul and/or major tune up. It just seems to be missing some extra humph and recently, it struggles to focus at infinity... well at least that's what I think

(maybe it's just me)
02-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

My repair cost about $250 but it was pretty extensive. I hope it's still going strong because the warranty on the repair was only 90 days ;~)
02-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
My repair cost about $250 but it was pretty extensive. I hope it's still going strong because the warranty on the repair was only 90 days ;~)
Not to worry I'm beginning to bond with that K20 (I think I've put on an extra 6k shutter actions since)... it's my K10, I just have not found another camera that will give me the same "ambience" that this one will.

Wow, 90 days, I guess that might be industry standard...
02-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Dropped work K7, busted viewfinder, 120 bucks and 3 weeks later good to go. C.R.I.S. did a good job IMO.
90 days for warranty sound about right, I can not remember for certain.

02-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
Forum Member

Had 2 k10d's with register distance discrepancies (i.e.: the camera thought the sensor was in a different spot) - that produced nearly perfect focus at 50mm, but progressively increasing back-focus at shorter focal lengths (where the opposite was true of longer focal-lengths), with also a discrepancy with the autofocus points and their representation in the viewfinder. I sent both of them in for repair at pentax canada with a full list of problems, as well as a few lenses that I wanted to have calibrated (I had a very ugly copy of the 16-50 da* at the time). I got everything back a while later with no bill, and ostensibly - no repairs. An updated firmware. Under warranty.

I sent everything back after re-verifying all of my original problems, included a lengthy note with further examples, and this time the kit came back within a week. The k10d's had a completely revamped internals, new AF sensors and worked perfectly - with seemingly zero trouble in tungsten even. They replaced the 16-50 with a new copy that they spent some time reworking a bit for better tolerances (and this one is beyond perfect - though exactly what they did I'm not sure. I do really love it though). Everything was cleaned. I had the impression that pentax canada - the second time around - treated my kit as if it were their own, and made me feel very good about pentax in general.
02-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spade111 Quote

I sent everything back after re-verifying all of my original problems, included a lengthy note with further examples, and this time the kit came back within a week. The k10d's had a completely revamped internals, new AF sensors and worked perfectly - with seemingly zero trouble in tungsten even. They replaced the 16-50 with a new copy that they spent some time reworking a bit for better tolerances (and this one is beyond perfect - though exactly what they did I'm not sure. I do really love it though). Everything was cleaned. I had the impression that pentax canada - the second time around - treated my kit as if it were their own, and made me feel very good about pentax in general.
I sent my k200d to Pentax Canada to have the NR shaking fixed, quoted $200.00 and came back 4 weeks later, unfortunately it would not change shutter speed in AV, or aperture on TV and the flash would not fire, only a pre-flash in red eye reduction.

I returned it and got it back in 3 days, they felt it was dirty contacts on my lens, which worked on my ist*dl. Anyway, it's working fine now, they even fixed my mf/af slider which was stiff to operate.

I feel it was worth the money as I love the camera, and the only replacement I can see is a K5 for $1000.00!

Tuggie76
02-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The shutter failed on my K10. Pentax replaced the shutter, mirror assembly and lens mount plus a full clean for $325. Came back good as new and cleaner than it had been for years
02-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My K-5 was having the mirror flop issue. It took CRIS a second try to truly fix it, but it is solid now.