Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
AA Cells

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I'm fairly certain you can use alkalines AA batteries, I know I've done so in the K-x in a pinch (and I'm fairly certain I did back with the K200D as well). The biggest issue is that they typically don't last more than 100 shots.
With my k200d I have found it cheaper and easier to buy a sleeve of Costco batteries for $12.00, they don't last long but I can throw them away and put another set in! Having said that I'm thinking of getting some eneloops, but you need 4 for the camera, 4 for both flashes, and at least 1 back up set, at $20.00 for a set of 4 the cost mounts up pretty quick!

Tuggie76

Last edited by tuggie76; 02-11-2012 at 12:42 PM.
02-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Buying generic disposables is much more expensive in the long run than buying rechargeables, much more hassle from having to change them so often, and much worse for the environment. From being better, it is worse in every possible way imaginable. Although for a flash, the alkalines might perform well enough to make them a decent choice. Depends on how uch you use the flash, I guess. The more you use a device, the sooner you hit the breakeven point at which rechargeabkes become a win. For a DSLR with typical usage, you could expect Eneloops to cheaper within the first 1000 shots or so.
02-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
That is true...
But to have more efficient work of AF, you need more than 1.2V. That is why Lithiums work better. Shame that they did not developed k200d, I do like it in lower iso....
I don't find the difference in AF speed to be significant enough between lithiums and Eneloops to be worth the much greater expense and environmental impact of lithiums.
02-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Buying generic disposables is much more expensive in the long run than buying rechargeables, much more hassle from having to change them so often, and much worse for the environment. From being better, it is worse in every possible way imaginable. Although for a flash, the alkalines might perform well enough to make them a decent choice. Depends on how uch you use the flash, I guess. The more you use a device, the sooner you hit the breakeven point at which rechargeabkes become a win. For a DSLR with typical usage, you could expect Eneloops to cheaper within the first 1000 shots or so.
I totally agree, and I certainly wasn't advocating using disposable Alkaline AA batteries to power a DSLR on a regular basis. I only mean that in an emergency you could stick a set in there and get a few dozen shots, that it would be better than nothing.

I will say that is someone using their DSLR somewhat infrequently, there is a case to be made for the Lithium batteries (non-rechargeable) as a power source from an economic point of view (although not necessarily an environmental). The set of Lithium AA batteries that came with my K-x lasted over 2000 shots, and at a cost of about $7-8/set, it's quite possible that someone that only takes several hundred pictures a year might be better off with a set of those as opposed to buying eneloops and a charging system. Once nice thing about those batteries is that they have a shelf life of 15+ years. The obvious downside is that they're not rechargeable.

02-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #20
Pentaxian

AA Batteries

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I totally agree, and I certainly wasn't advocating using disposable Alkaline AA batteries to power a DSLR on a regular basis. I only mean that in an emergency you could stick a set in there and get a few dozen shots, that it would be better than nothing.
I used to use rechargeables but found they didn't last very long and couldn't keep enough charged ones around! It was easier to just slip a new set in.

I'll try a set of eneloops and see how they work out.

Tuggie76
02-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
I used to use rechargeables but found they didn't last very long and couldn't keep enough charged ones around! It was easier to just slip a new set in.

Tuggie76
The Eneloops (and other similar low-discharge hybrid batteries) hold their charge far better than traditional rechargeable batteries (NiCd/NiMH). Certainly the best way to go for most applications that require AA batteries.
02-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sanyo XX is the new king.

02-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Sanyo XX is the new king.
I haven't personally used them, but I hear lots of good things about them. Plus they have a cool logo on them

02-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
@ RobA_Oz

"Although alkaline cells are rated at 1.5 volts and NiMH cells at 1.2 volts, during discharge the alkaline voltage eventually drops below that of NiMH. This is particularly true for high drain applications, where the voltage of even a fresh alkaline battery can be lower than a NiMH battery while under a load. Furthermore, NiMH batteries offer a flatter discharge curve, particularly at higher current draw."
From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel%E2%80%93metal_hydride_battery

This should answer your question.
There you will also find information about LSD/nonLSD NiMH cells. Eneloops are of the LSD type (among other differences) and their voltage does not give in as much on high current drain as the nonLSD types ("high capacity" cells).
You should keep in mind that a DSLR in some situations needs a very high current - using an external power supply, in tests the K10D used up to 1.8A when saving to the SD card.
Thanks for the explanation, although I was more concerned that some people seemed to think (or, at least, gave me the impression) that the use of alkalines could contribute to the damage experienced by the OP. What you say indicates that this should not be the case.
02-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #25
Veteran Member

My K200D had a main board failure also. Repair quote from CRIS was under $300 if I remember correctly. It was just 1 or 2 months out of warranty, so I called Pentax and they graciously reduced the repair charge 15% or so. Repair took about 4 weeks. The camera was absolutely faultless before the main board died - I could access some menu items and the SD card but couldn't fire the shutter - and it's been faultless since.
02-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Tuggie76
So I went to Blacks to buy a set of Eneloops for$19.95, turns out they were on sale for$9.95!!!! I used them today and shot about 100 photos, so far so good.Now to get some more beore the sale ends!

Tuggie76
02-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So I went to Blacks to buy a set of Eneloops for$19.95, turns out they were on sale for$9.95!!!! I used them today and shot about 100 photos, so far so good.Now to get some more beore the sale ends!

Tuggie76
Tuggie76, Make sure you use a good charger to charge those Eneloop's. At the very least buy a set of Eneloop's with a charger included. I've had issues trying to charge Eneloop's with cheap generic chargers. A lot of people recommend the Maha and LaCrosse chargers. I use the standard Eneloop charger and have had no problems going that route.
02-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
Tuggie76, Make sure you use a good charger to charge those Eneloop's. At the very least buy a set of Eneloop's with a charger included. I've had issues trying to charge Eneloop's with cheap generic chargers. A lot of people recommend the Maha and LaCrosse chargers. I use the standard Eneloop charger and have had no problems going that route.
I thought I'd read that they can be charged by any AA charger, I have a Panasonic BQ-390 that I'd hoped would work.

Tuggie76

Last edited by tuggie76; 02-11-2012 at 02:57 PM.
02-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought I'd read thet they can be charged by any AA charger, I have a Panasonic BQ-390 that I'd hoped would work.

Tuggie76
It may, I'm just going off of personal experience. I've seen people that were unhappy with Eneloop's and it turned out the be what they were using to charge them. I had an Energizer charger that I used with my old point and shoot. It charged the NiCad's just fine but if I tried to charge my Eneloop's I could barely get 100 or so shots out of them. Something to think about the first time you try your charger with the Eneloop's. It may work just fine.
02-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I've had no problems with cheap generic chargers, but I use my good one when possible just to be safe. Note that the cells as sold are probably not fully charged, so don't expect to get the same 500 or more shots from them, as you would if they had been charged more fully and recently.