Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax K200D PCB problem

Hello! My dear loving Pentax K200D stopped working, I sent it odd for an estimate and it seems that PCB is out and it needs a new one. The estimate is $265 to replace the print circuit board. Anyone had similar problem. Any thoughts on repair/parts?

02-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Don't know why but not uncommon for Pentax DSLRs. Cheap components and poorly made circuits I guess. Personally I won't bother paying that much fixing an outdated body.
02-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I see no evidence - not even random ancdotal evidence - that would suggst electroncis used in Pentax cameras are in way whasoever inferior to thiose used in other camereas, or inded, in any other electronic devices of any kind.

As for the K200D, it may be outdated, but unfortunately, there is nothing else before or since, or in any other brand, to replace it with, if you value the features that make the K200D unique - the smallest weather sealed body that takes AA's. I'd reluctantly give up the AA's if the resultant camera had other advtanges, like the K-5, but now we're talking $1000 versus $285.

If the unique qualities of the K200D are such that only the K-5 could be considered a viable update, anothermpossibility to consider is finding a lightly used K200D, or perhaps some auction site that still has unused ones for sale. You might find something in better condition than yours for not much more than the price of repair.

But otherwise, if you don't particularly need the weather sealing, then a K-x does start to look more attractive than fixing the K200D.
02-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
body that takes AA's
Marc, to be precise: Specific, not all, very well selected and tested AA batteries. I bought K200d and was thinking that in any type of village I would be able to support myself with some spare AA's available locally... How I was wrong.... How I was wrong..

Nevertheless, K200d does splendid photos in low ISO.

02-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

True, alkalines don't work. That doesn't diminish the value of taking AA's. It's still the case that AA's that do work are available in many more places than any other type of battery. And it's still the case that you can share cells and chargers with all your other electronic devices that take AA's.
02-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Eneloops!" Don't leave home without them!!!!
02-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think you could find a used K200D body for not that much more. Then sell the broken K200 on ebay as a non working 'parts' camera to get some money back.
02-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
share cells and chargers with all your other electronic devices that take AA's.
That is true...
But to have more efficient work of AF, you need more than 1.2V. That is why Lithiums work better. Shame that they did not developed k200d, I do like it in lower iso....

02-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I had the same experience with the K10d, which btw have got the exact same sensor (and circuit?) as your K200.
My beloved K10d stayed at the repair shop, so that if someone would like to cost the repairs themselves there, they'd just use mine...

Oh how I regret that decission!

Last edited by Larsenio; 02-09-2012 at 10:45 AM.
02-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian

That's an odd thing! Zinc-carbon and alkaline cells have the same nominal voltage of 1.5V, while rechargeable NiCads or NiMH cells are lower at 1.2V, yet you say the K200D will work with rechargeables but not alkalines. Still further, lithium cells, which are commonly used as replacements for alkalines and in this form have a nominal voltage of 1.5V, also work with the 200D.

I imagine what you say is the result of experience, but I can't see the logic in it, as the lithiums, alkalines and zinc cells have the same nominal voltage. I'd be interested to know the scientific explanation for it. My only experience with AA cells in Pentax cameras has been with my *istD, in which I've always only run NiMH or lithium cells. I wonder if the same goes for alkalines in the K-5 grip, which allows AA cells in an alternate carrier.

Additionally, most electronic circuitry these days has voltage regulation built in, which allows higher voltages to be applied without damaging the circuits. Clearly, this has its limits, but, if excess voltage is the cause of the damage to K200Ds (and, it seems, K10Ds) then it implies those circuits are not protected in this way. This still doesn't explain why cells of the same nominal voltage behave differently in this regard, though.
02-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
That's an odd thing! Zinc-carbon and alkaline cells have the same nominal voltage of 1.5V, while rechargeable NiCads or NiMH cells are lower at 1.2V, yet you say the K200D will work with rechargeables but not alkalines. Still further, lithium cells, which are commonly used as replacements for alkalines and in this form have a nominal voltage of 1.5V, also work with the 200D.

I imagine what you say is the result of experience, but I can't see the logic in it, as the lithiums, alkalines and zinc cells have the same nominal voltage. I'd be interested to know the scientific explanation for it. My only experience with AA cells in Pentax cameras has been with my *istD, in which I've always only run NiMH or lithium cells. I wonder if the same goes for alkalines in the K-5 grip, which allows AA cells in an alternate carrier.

Additionally, most electronic circuitry these days has voltage regulation built in, which allows higher voltages to be applied without damaging the circuits. Clearly, this has its limits, but, if excess voltage is the cause of the damage to K200Ds (and, it seems, K10Ds) then it implies those circuits are not protected in this way. This still doesn't explain why cells of the same nominal voltage behave differently in this regard, though.
I'm fairly certain you can use alkalines AA batteries, I know I've done so in the K-x in a pinch (and I'm fairly certain I did back with the K200D as well). The biggest issue is that they typically don't last more than 100 shots.
02-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

@ RobA_Oz

"Although alkaline cells are rated at 1.5 volts and NiMH cells at 1.2 volts, during discharge the alkaline voltage eventually drops below that of NiMH. This is particularly true for high drain applications, where the voltage of even a fresh alkaline battery can be lower than a NiMH battery while under a load. Furthermore, NiMH batteries offer a flatter discharge curve, particularly at higher current draw."
From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel%E2%80%93metal_hydride_battery

This should answer your question.
There you will also find information about LSD/nonLSD NiMH cells. Eneloops are of the LSD type (among other differences) and their voltage does not give in as much on high current drain as the nonLSD types ("high capacity" cells).
You should keep in mind that a DSLR in some situations needs a very high current - using an external power supply, in tests the K10D used up to 1.8A when saving to the SD card.

Last edited by RKKS08; 02-09-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Information added
02-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Edit: K-7 and K-5 grip takes 6 AA batteries...

QuoteOriginally posted by magnolya Quote
Hello! My dear loving Pentax K200D stopped working, I sent it odd for an estimate and it seems that PCB is out and it needs a new one. The estimate is $265 to replace the print circuit board. Anyone had similar problem. Any thoughts on repair/parts?
I assume that is through CRIS in Arizona ( Camera Repair by CRIS Camera Services: Digital Camera Repair: Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Pentax, Ricoh, Sigma )? Recently, I dropped a lens and was looking to get it fixed. A local shop asked for fixed $350 fee without even looking at it, but CRIS allowed me to send it to them and they estimated the repair at $100. So needless to say, CRIS is repairing it right now.

I don't think you could find a used K200D for $265, so it's up to you if that much money is worth having a working K200D again or not. Otherwise you will have to look for something else.
02-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Magnolya; may I ask if you've ever used an "old-times" flash on your K200?
I used an old Vivitar auto thyristor 2800 on and off for almost a year without knowing that the extremely high-voltage flash could short-circuit the motherboard and approx. every electric parts inside my K10d.
It could be that this actually weakened and caused my camera too-early death (around 20.000 shutter actuations) over time...
02-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote

The poor Alkaline/Zn-C battery performance has a lot to do with the internal resistance of the cell and the capacity under load. A cell is not a pure voltage generator, and voltage drops as current is drawn. Alkalines often do not maintain good voltage at higher current draw. Alkalines also have a much reduced eneregy capacity under high load. Low draw is a 3000mA.hr while highly loaded it might only deliver 500mA.hr. I don't know all the reasons, but obviously linked to the chemistry. NiMH on the other hand have very good voltage under load. However normal NiMH have a high self discharge rate and hence run low on power or voltage too quickly. The Eneloop is a slightly altered chemistry which reduces the self discharge rate, and also has lower internal resistance. So they work really well in K200D etc. The Lithium cell is the ultimate in capacity and voltage with little voltage drop. So they are the best for cameras at the moment. But expensive and special recharging systems required.

BTW: I also value the K200-D AA option because the batteries have many other uses (flash; Wii remotes; torches) and are relatively cheap. Eneloops (or similar) the way to go..!

Last edited by KevinR; 02-09-2012 at 12:32 PM.