Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K100D dying, but what body to replace it with?

My old faithful K100D is starting to act up....sometimes when I turn the power on, it won't come on anymore. Tried different batteries and it doesn't matter. If I give the body a very light "rap", it will come on. It has shot 44 million shots, so it doesn't owe me a thing.

This is just giving me a good excuse to upgrade the body, but with what? I was very content with the K100D and am simply looking for the next step up, not the next 3 steps up.

What would be the body to purchase that is still new in the box, but is yesterday's news?

Thank you.

vmax84

Edit: To give you a flavor of my "line of thinking", if I could find a K200D still new in the box, I'd jump all over it, but think that ship has long since sailed.

02-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps a K-r or K-10, though the K-20 may be a little nicer (2 wheels, grip). The K-x has good high-ISO performance, and only one thumbwheel like the K100D, but no AF points in the viewfinder.
02-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Perhaps a K-r or K-10, though the K-20 may be a little nicer (2 wheels, grip). The K-x has good high-ISO performance, and only one thumbwheel like the K100D, but no AF points in the viewfinder.
I need to get some sleep, but can those models still be had brand new? Seems like 3 years or so ago, I bought a couple K100D bodies (may or may not have been refurbs) from Best Buy and got my daughters into the photo stuff.....they have been very good cameras for them. Should prob go check out Best Buy to start.

vmax84
02-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's your budget? If you can afford it, get the K-5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What's your budget? If you can afford it, get the K-5.
I really don't want to spend "that much" money, whatever "that much" money is. I really liked the K100D and in all honesty, it's plenty of camera for what I do. I was able to take some very good pics with it and got very comfortable with it.

Looking for something along the K100D budget, which I guess isn't that much.

vmax84
02-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

42nd St. Photo is showing new K200D body in stock. 699 dollars. You can get a good used one for less than half that.
02-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

KEH.com has some K100, K200, K10 & K20 in their stock in LN- (like new) or EX+ and they have a warranty I believe too.
02-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
I really don't want to spend "that much" money, whatever "that much" money is. I really liked the K100D and in all honesty, it's plenty of camera for what I do. I was able to take some very good pics with it and got very comfortable with it.

Looking for something along the K100D budget, which I guess isn't that much.

vmax84
A k-r might be for you, then. I wouldn't go with the older bodies as they're a little backwards in a few areas.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
I need to get some sleep, but can those models still be had brand new?
Sorry, I missed the "still new" part. Not likely.
02-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think k20d, k-7, k-r are all great upgrade for u
u can always find great price of used ones here.
02-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Sounds like it's a very small issue with your K100D. Can be the on/off switch itself, or some oxidized battery contacts or such.
I had K200D, I still own the k20, but K-5 it's a different beast, a true game changer!
I think I will hold it for many years to come, and I'm very picky.
K-5 is not a small upgrade from k20D. It is a huge one!

So... Why don't you hold it a couple of months and then jump on the K-5?
02-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Kr is miles ahead of K100D in sensor performance, features and AF speed, and its supposed to be the lower end option for Pentax so its sort of like the K100D's successor.

else, consider I'd suggest you consider the K-01 for its ~$700+ pricing and 16mp (k5 type sensor).

I won't suggest going for anything before K5/Kr/Kx.
Too much sensor improvement in these 3 to ignore.
Better AF too on Kr and K5.
02-08-2012, 02:52 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Another Choice?

Hello Vmax,
I can't really comment on the newest or recently discontinued models mentioned earlier, but I was in nearly the same position as you a couple of years ago (K110D as my main camera, wanted more MP and performance).
So I bought a slight-used, low shutter-count K10D.
And, I couldn't be happier!
Pros;
Can be bought used for $200-$300 with low mileage if you check the sales forums.
A major upgrade from 6MP to 10Mp (roughly).
Weather-resistant.
Solid and large size (some would say bulky) that feels great.
Easily upgradable via firmware.
2 Wheels, one for shutter, other for f-stop.
Battery grip BG-2 available, highly recommended.
Built like a brick, did I mention that?
Replaceable screen, Katzeye and others.
ISO starts with 100, RAW + Jpeg available.
Cons;
Old sensor, some focusing issues with older lenses, no backfocusing correction.
Missing many modern features but was very well-regarded in it's day.
ISO tops out at 1600.
AF hunts a bit in low light, or with slow lenses.

Overall it's a great upgrade for (way) less than $500.00
JMO,
Ron
02-08-2012, 03:25 AM   #14
Site Supporter

I own a K-r and bought a K100 super as a second body. The 100d super takes beautiful pictures and I can see why it's so highly rated and loved. But the K-r is another world in terms of getting low-light captures and all sorts of other improvements. The K-r suffers bad press but I adore my camera and would recommend you take advantage of the low prices you can get the bodies for. Otherwise just buy a low-count K100D again. It'll cost you almost nothing. I got mine in perfect condition for about $250 and I love it too. If you shoot in better light and the K100 suits you then you'll be happy again. But the K-r....purr!
02-08-2012, 03:39 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Personally I would probably go with a low mileage used K10d or K20d if I needed a low cost replacement body right now. If you insist on new your low cost options are pretty much K-x (remotely possible, watch for price gouging), K-r (more likely, again prices may be inflated because it is discontinued), or wait for the K-01 and whatever the replacement for the K-r might be to hit the market.

I see that Prodigital2000 on ebay (out of Canada) has refurb K-r bodies for $480, and Adorama has new K-r kits at $540, so those are probably your prices to beat.