Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #1
Forum Member

HELP! K100D broke the flippen lcd

i pulled my K100d out of the case, and WHAMMIE! big ol crack on the LCD Plastic.
The LCD itself seems to be fine, but there is now a spider crac on the sucker. dont know how it happened, always kept it in its case.

Anywho contacted pentax, and they refered me to a 3rd party for repair, needless to say its $80 for repair. I can still navigate fine, and view images, just certain parts of the screen are a bit distorted.

can i get new plastic, and use a razorblade or something to pry out the old one and pop in a new one or something?

01-02-2008, 12:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you bought it locally then take it to the shop, talk to the owner or manager, and see what they suggest Bob.

They shouldn't break without a pretty good blow, and if there isn't any scuff or impact marks on it the dealer might be able to talk Pentax into fixing it for free.
They'll at least try if they value your business

If they can't help you they'll probably know what shop can replace it for you.

I wouldn't try replacing it myself. Glue in the wrong place wouldn't be nice, plus I'd be surprised if you could even get the right glue.

Edit, Welcome to Pentax Forums
01-02-2008, 12:05 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
If you bought it locally then take it to the shop, talk to the owner or manager, and see what they suggest Bob.

They shouldn't break without a pretty good blow, and if there isn't any scuff or impact marks on it the dealer might be able to talk Pentax into fixing it for free.
They'll at least try if they value your business

If they can't help you they'll probably know what shop can replace it for you.

I wouldn't try replacing it myself. Glue in the wrong place wouldn't be nice, plus I'd be surprised if you could even get the right glue.

Edit, Welcome to Pentax Forums
thanks for the quick reply.

i bought the camera online, and it cant be returned damaged.

There aren't any shops locally that do the repair either, i would have to ship it out.
has anyone else replaced one of these?

yeah i cannot figure out how it broke.

i show you guys a pic if i had a lens that could do a 360 twist around my camera.
01-02-2008, 12:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A picture won't help get it repaired Bob.

It sounds to me like your best bet at this point is talk to Pentax Head office in your country if at all possible.

Explain your situation to them, and ask them if they can send you the part, glue, and proper instructions for the repair.

If at all possible also get a technicians direct phone number, just in case you need to call one up for a little advice.

I can't see it being all that hard, but I'm sure that there are some precautions to take.

I'll mention now that they may throw out the warranty if you do the repair yourself, although that's at their discretion.

Lots of luck with it.

01-02-2008, 12:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobloadmire Quote
can i get new plastic, and use a razorblade or something to pry out the old one and pop in a new one or something?
That's how it will be fixed anyway. Just get the transparent plastic from Pentax and DIY. It's a 5mins job.
01-02-2008, 03:32 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
That's how it will be fixed anyway. Just get the transparent plastic from Pentax and DIY. It's a 5mins job.
are there any DIYs for similar cameras? google landed me nothing.
i called pentax and they said that they would not ship parts out. lame. has anyone dissected the camera so i know how the plastic is attached?
01-02-2008, 05:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Like Stu says, a picture ain't going to fix it. But, if you want to shoot it, try aiming at a mirror reflection from another mirror.

01-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bob, one of those "rock and a hard place" deals. My own thought, is to pay the $80 to get it fixed - that way you should have some sort of recourse/warranty if there's a subsequent problem. Either way - good luck.
01-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobloadmire Quote
are there any DIYs for similar cameras? google landed me nothing.
i called pentax and they said that they would not ship parts out. lame. has anyone dissected the camera so i know how the plastic is attached?
I am not aware of any DIY link as it is a simple job. That plastic is held by double-sided tape only and you can lift it off with a wide cutter blade. You don't even need to disassemble the camera. But I am surprised Pentax would not ship you that part as I am sure a few US owners brought from Pentax before. Perhaps you were not talking to the right person.
01-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I am not aware of any DIY link as it is a simple job. That plastic is held by double-sided tape only and you can lift it off with a wide cutter blade. You don't even need to disassemble the camera. But I am surprised Pentax would not ship you that part as I am sure a few US owners brought from Pentax before. Perhaps you were not talking to the right person.
i think you're right, i just talked to a more helpful person.
"Hello Brad,

The plastic cover for the rear LCD display on the K100D camera is held in place by

4 strips of double stick tape. Sometimes the double stick tape can be re-used after

the old part has been carefully removed for the repair. I will quote the pre-cut tape as

well as the cover in case you want to replace the tape as well.

Qty. Part # Description Sug. List Price

1 > 76700 A241 Rear LCD Window (#65) $3.18

2 > 76700 A242 Retainer Tape A (Upper / Lower) (#66 X 2) $1.32

2 > 76700 A243 Retainer Tape B (Sides) (#67 X 2) $1.32

Our shipping and handling fee is $8.00 per sales order.

Tax may be applicable on the cost of the parts; you did not indicate the State where

the parts will be shipped to in your original e-mail request. Please check with the

Parts department to ensure the correct price is sent if you pre-pay with a check.

We do accept Visa, Discovery, or MasterCard for pre-payment.

You can respond back to this e-mail to check on the possible State sales tax or phone

800-877-0155; press 0 for the Operator and ask her to connect you to extension 2005

to speak with a Parts Department representative to place your sales order. We do not

ship parts out side of the USA borders.

Best regards,

Ricky T. Wiedman

National Service Supervisor

Pentax Imaging Company

REF: Parts diagram"

nice, looks like this might be cheap!