Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #1

Pick K-01;K5;Nikon D7000; ??

So I have been given the task to get a camera + lens(es) for a business application to take stills and videos of business activities (seminars, workshops, trade shows and similar).

The budget is $1500. Has to be bought in the next 4 weeks.

I can get :

A) K-01 for $900 - 40/2.8 XS lens.

B) K5 for $1150 - 18-55 WR lens.

C) Nikon D7000 for $1330 - 18-55 VR lens.

Or ??

May I have your thoughts, please?

02-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get a K-01 with the 40mm and a 18-135mm. Unless you will be shooting sporting events, then it'll be the perfect tool for the job- not so complicated that others won't be able to figure it out, either!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Get the K-01, so you can tell us all what it's like to use. After all, it's only work's money.

Regards
02-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Well, probably what you should be using is any Nikon with the 24-120/4 lens. But I'm afraid even a D3100 or old-stock D3000 will push it just a little over the budget.

The Nikon D7000 kit comes with the reasonably good AF-S DX 18-105mm lens. But it's exactly $1500 before tax.

For video, however, I expect that the K-01 will do better than any of these Nikons. Therefore, Adam's suggestion may be the best, assuming you can get availability. I remember I got my K-x at Fry's before almost anyone had it online (in other words, before reputable companies like B&H and Adorama), but of course this wasn't advertised. So it's entirely possible this could happen again. Either that or Fry's won't get it for months!

Remember also that no one can touch the value offered by Pentax with a K-r (or maybe K-01 now) with the DA*16-50 and DA*50-135. As reviewed on this site, many people (although not me) also prefer to substitute the cheaper Sigma or Tamron for the DA*16-50. But I understand how budgets are - you can't go over. So maybe try using the 18-55 kit lens instead of the DA*16-50?

The K-5 is a great camera (it's what I use), but it's a waste of money if you have nothing left over for decent glass.

Last edited by DSims; 02-08-2012 at 11:33 PM.
02-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JVi Quote
So I have been given the task to get a camera + lens(es) for a business application to take stills and videos of business activities (seminars, workshops, trade shows and similar).
You're going to need something very versatile then. I'd follow Adam's suggestion with the K-01 but choose the lens you're going to purchase with it wisely. I'm not sure if the wide prime will be available by the time it's launched, but if it is, go for that combo instead of the DA40XS (Which is pretty tight for videos of seminars and the like). Problem is... will the K-01 be launched within the next 4 weeks, or will you receive it by that time if you pre-order? Then add a good zoom lens.

If not, I'll advise to go for the K-5 instead.
02-09-2012, 12:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd suggest K-01.

1. Laymen/women in the company will most likely be more familiar with such a camera (ie. using LCD screen)
2. Its better for video of the cameras listed.
3. At least on par sensor performance vs the above listed
4. Its not your money , so use the opportunity to let Pentax earn some
5. Shameless promotion to Pentax within the office
6. You'd get to play with one

Laymen and most office use don't really care that much about IQ and such.
Don't loose hair over the selection.
They only need a camera to capture the event.
02-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Get a K-01 with ... a 18-135mm. Unless you will be shooting sporting events, then it'll be the perfect tool for the job- not so complicated that others won't be able to figure it out, either!
That's 1kg of mass extended away from the body trying to compose.

If you have it the FL @ 135mm, and you are another 300mm from your body, plus the depth of the camera bodyat another 85mm, from eye to the front element will be over 600mm.

That's a lot of wobble at the from element, especially if one is also trying to zoom.

Even with SR, fast AF and SS, this set-up is well beyond what is normally considered extension necessitating a tripod. It will be like handholding a 500mm lens.

The DA 50-200mm will be like handholding a 650mm lens and the DA 55-300 will be closer to an 800mm.
02-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
If you have it the FL @ 135mm, and you are another 300mm from your body, plus the depth of the camera bodyat another 85mm, from eye to the front element will be over 600mm.

That's a lot of wobble at the from element, especially if one is also trying to zoom.

Even with SR, fast AF and SS, this set-up is well beyond what is normally considered extension necessitating a tripod. It will be like handholding a 500mm lens.

The DA 50-200mm will be like handholding a 650mm lens and the DA 55-300 will be closer to an 800mm.
You sure you can calulate it like that?
Sounds like magic to me to be honest, mixing focal length with distances...

02-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Still photo shutter noise should be considered if you'll be using this during quiet business seminars. The K-5 is fairly quiet but the K-01, in theory, will be nearly silent. Someone above mentioned a K-r which IMO makes too much shutter noise for many business settings.

For video+stills, the K-01 shows much promise, but you may have to wait a while for availability.
02-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Canon with magic latern hack maybe.
550D or 60D fills the bill.
magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified
02-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
You sure you can calulate it like that?
Sounds like magic to me to be honest, mixing focal length with distances...
The classic camera pose with VF is in triangle to brace the elbows against the body to reduce vibration.

The K-01 does not change that basic ergonomic principle, but it ignores it.

One of the reasons why a WLF camera is said to be so sharp is because of the way the comer being held and the short lens makes for almost no front element bounce.

The K-01 does the exact opposite. I maximizes the distance away from the body as support structure to lengths previously designed for tripod work.
02-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

budget for a decent flash... that will be more important than the actual camera IMO.
02-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The classic camera pose with VF is in triangle to brace the elbows against the body to reduce vibration.

The K-01 does not change that basic ergonomic principle, but it ignores it.

One of the reasons why a WLF camera is said to be so sharp is because of the way the comer being held and the short lens makes for almost no front element bounce.

The K-01 does the exact opposite. I maximizes the distance away from the body as support structure to lengths previously designed for tripod work.
I wasn't saying you're wrong but i really doubt your calculations for it.
02-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I wasn't saying you're wrong but i really doubt your calculations for it.
I took the length of the lens + length of camera body + distance required for minimum focus based on average reading distance from eyes (from information in my graduated glasses brochure).

And that's just for front elements wobble based on extension.

There's the whole other dynamic of mass. 1kg is a LOT of mass to hold with arms partially extended.
02-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JVi Quote

The budget is $1500. Has to be bought in the next 4 weeks.

I can get :

A) K-01 for $900 - 40/2.8 XS lens.

B) K5 for $1150 - 18-55 WR lens.

C) Nikon D7000 for $1330 - 18-55 VR lens.

Or ??

May I have your thoughts, please?
I would go with a K5 and standard Zoom.
Even if you need extra zoom, you can crop very easily.
The last thing I would go for is the Ko1 !
You are likely often be in places where you cant even
see the screen. Also, spending that much money I would want a lot more than a compact.