Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should have known this would happen with my K-x

I should have known this was coming, but I don't use my K-x all that much. I typically offload photos from the SDHC card by removing it from the camera and inserting it in a reader. I just went to do that, depressed the card and instead of gently raising my finger, I inadvertently let the finger slip off the depressed card and the spring action caused it to catapult several feet into the air and into the cluttered room. I was fortunate to find it within ten minutes. I thought it might be years before I would find it, or never. Fortunately, I'm in the habit of copying pictures off the card soon after shooting, so it wouldn't have been a giant loss. However, my next biggest card after this 8GB PQI is a 250MB SD card.

02-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

A tread for this
02-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Well, at least you won't do it again

Be careful with your cards, though- don't use your nail to push it out, as it'll end up prying it open.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-10-2012, 02:38 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
At least it was a regular SDHC, I've sent a few MicroSDHCs flying before, those are much harder to find and get some really good distance from certain devices.

02-10-2012, 03:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Careful with the card door also. Sure it looks strong enough, but the hinges won't last very long if you're kind of careless...
02-10-2012, 03:55 AM - 3 Likes   #6

This thread is pointless without a pic of the cluttered room.
02-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Patajac Quote
This thread is pointless without a pic of the cluttered room.

I will agree....
02-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't feel bad. It could have been worse. I did that once with my *ist. Card went flying up and right behind my desk chair. Of course I was startled and I instinctively backed up thereby smashing the tiny card to smithereens. Fortunately all I lost was a bunch of test photos but still... ;P

02-11-2012, 05:24 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Don't feel bad. It could have been worse. I did that once with my *ist. Card went flying up and right behind my desk chair. Of course I was startled and I instinctively backed up thereby smashing the tiny card to smithereens. Fortunately all I lost was a bunch of test photos but still... ;P
When this happened a couple of days ago I was lucky in that there was relative silence. If I had music playing I likely wouldn't have heard the card fall. Small as it is, it didn't make much of a sound but I did get a sense of where it went, so that made finding it a lot easier. Also, I was lucky in that it didn't find a tough spot to nestle in. It was right up against the wall, under the table next to where I was holding the camera. If I'd been clueless where it went, I truly may never have found it.
02-11-2012, 05:30 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Careful with the card door also. Sure it looks strong enough, but the hinges won't last very long if you're kind of careless...
Yes, I'm used to this issue. The only other digital camera I've used is a Samsung Digimax V3 (still have it and use it), and many people have commented that the hinged card/battery door's design made them very nervous that it would eventually break. I've always tried not to be nonchalant when using it, and so far it's held up. Never had an SD card jump out of that camera, though.
02-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Great story!
02-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #12

"This thread is pointless without a pic of the cluttered room."

Not from my perspective, I'm surrounded by a cluttered room. Wow, I can relate.

Now imagine a clock repair room with flying springs.
Kurt
02-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I had a day where I absent mindedly pushed the card into the CD/DVD rom slot on the side of my iMac instead of the SD card slot. One is right under the other.. It took a bit of fishing around with a kitchen knife pilers and tweezers to get it back out.