Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Inactive Account

k10d multi-point focusing

The K10D as you know comes with a multi-point focusing system. But I find that it sometimes focuses on the "wrong thing". So I have recently switched to the tried and true single-point focusing. That seems fine to me. And even preferred -- focus, recompose, and shoot.

My question? Which focusing do you use and why? Do you have the same issues I do with multi-point focusing? What are the advantages it has over single-point focusing?

Thanks!

01-02-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've found the old single point focusing method to be fine. Usually I just use the focus lock and recompose the shot as necessary. I have found the multi-point autofocus to be useful in cases where I don't have time to recompose the shot, such as shotting fast action like a basketball game. The times I have used the multi-point auto focus I have not seen any problems and my K10D usually does a pretty good job, even with close pictures and a tight depth of field.
01-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #3

I keep my focus selector to either Center [.] or Select, never "AUTO" and that goes for all my cameras (Pentax & Canon) all any camera can do is guess at what you want in focus based on distance, contrast, etc...
And they are usually wrong ;-)
01-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I usually shoot with center focusing, BUT occasionally change it to a different focusing point IF I am doing something where I specifically want the center of focus NOT to be in the center of the frame. These are usually composed shots not action or wild life shots.

01-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use the single point focusing too, but rather than just leaving it in the center and recompose why not use the select mode? It is quick and easy to use the arrow buttons to change your focusing point, and then you don't have to worry about recomposing. Especially if you are using a tripod, it is hard to recompose after getting your focus. Plus when you are wide open recomposing may cause you to lose focus on your original point.
01-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I use point focus when I'm shooting basketball, volleyball, etc...

I use selectable for everything else.
01-02-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use user select AF point because auto select often focus on the wrong thing. But even with user select, the camera could still AF on the wrong thing due to that 1) each AF point actually covers quite a large area and anything being covered could be picked by the camera, and often the higher contrast subject. 2) the AF module might not be as precisely calibrated as you might think. But assuming the AF was accurate, it still takes some practice to use user select AF effectively so just keep trying. I have found using OK button in AF-C mode being the most effective.

01-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by samiam Quote
The K10D as you know comes with a multi-point focusing system. But I find that it sometimes focuses on the "wrong thing". So I have recently switched to the tried and true single-point focusing. That seems fine to me. And even preferred -- focus, recompose, and shoot.

My question? Which focusing do you use and why? Do you have the same issues I do with multi-point focusing? What are the advantages it has over single-point focusing?

Thanks!
I use center point focusing, usually with the [AF on half press] off. I focus with the [AF] button, and then shoot as if it were MF with the option of pressing [AF] and refocusing on something else. This eliminates the hunting and focusing on the incorrect point in the image. I must admit, that I am still in the changeover to this method of focusing, and get some interesting blurs from time to time.
01-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm brand new with the K10D so my input may not count for much but here is what I'm going to try since I'll be going quickly back and forth between action and stationary shots.
1. Decouple AF from shutter
2. AF Continuous mode
If shooting action keep thumb pressed on AF button and track the subject
If shooting stationary place center point on subject, press AF button to achieve focus then release, recompose and fire the shutter.
This may take some geting used to but it seems I can have the best of both worlds without rearranging dials and levers constantly
01-03-2008, 04:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by samiam Quote

Thanks!
I've expierenced the same.
I use manual point selection and I've configured the AF button to reset the focus point to the center. I believe you need firmware 1.3 to alter the AF button function.

Contineous autofocus doesn't work very well IMO.
If the K20D has predictive autofocus, that might be a reason for me to upgrade.

- Bert
01-03-2008, 04:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Mine is on Select, with the AF point usually kept on the centre.
As mentioned above, it's pretty much the same thing as Centre Point focus, with the added bonus of being able to quickly change the AF points using the arrow buttons
01-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Interesting...
01-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all your responses. That really clears it up for me, and gives me some new approaches to think about as well.