Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
a real dslr?

My picture taking involves a burst of holiday activity then an occasional shot of the dogs by which time the battery has usually gone flat.
My 5yo Canon A70 has been a great introduction to digital photography but I miss not having a slr (1964 Spotmatic + MX + a few prime lens). I have one slr purchase left in me but have some concerns about the complexity and lifespan, I want 10+ years.

Would it be so hard to put a sensor on the film plane of a MX, a AA battery in one film chamber and sd card in the other with access from the base? Forget all this pansy autofocus, film wind and exposure crap - real men use manual.

01-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It wouldn't be hard.....It just ain't gonna happen is all.

You know, the Spotmatics are still out there. I've recently had my eye on an S2 and an SV.
01-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

you'd probably love an ist dl. it had great output and felt like a "classic" film camera.
01-02-2008, 10:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

In my opinion film will still be here long after Digital has gone the way of the dinosaur

Although I hope that I'm wrong.

01-03-2008, 06:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by misterb Quote
I have one slr purchase left in me but have some concerns about the complexity and lifespan, I want 10+ years.
You won't get 10 years. But you'll probably get 5 from a K10D.
01-03-2008, 06:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
i bet if it is treated some what nice it go 10+ as long as you fell that you do not have to upgrade every year the K10D is pritty rugied i say not like the Spotmatics, K1000 ect.... but it is not bad
01-03-2008, 06:29 AM   #7

I don't know anyone who got a new DSLR because their old one quit working. The newer cameras have features that attract the user. My first DSLR, an IstD, is still going strong and it's approaching five years. I took 10,000 shots with it and now my sister has it. I got the K10D, not because I was dissatisfied with the IstD but for image stabilization and faster operation. Since getting it, I've found some other things I like about it.

Still, I expect my sister will still be using my IstD for the coming years but she doesn't shoot as much as I did.
01-03-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The answer to your question is no, it is not that hard, and it did happen.

Solutions like that were available over 10 years ago.
In July 1995. Kodak introduced the line EOS-1n with a bulk power pack and digital component set at the base section,
fitting an unmodified Canon AF-EOS camera.
I believe it used a 14Mp Kodak sensor. A revolution in its time.
As far as I know, they never did this for Pentax.
Also Nikon once delivered digital backs for its analog camera's.

My expectations on the equipment life?
I still have my Ricoh SLR with a 50mm f1.4 lens, made in 1974 in good working order.
Also my Pentax ME-Super still works fine.
They have both retired now and are at display behind glass with their lenses and flashes.
I don't like to work with the manual focus lenses anymore.

Somehow I don't expect modern equipment to last that long

- Bert

01-04-2008, 04:18 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
The answer to your question is no, it is not that hard, and it did happen.

Solutions like that were available over 10 years ago.
In July 1995. Kodak introduced the line EOS-1n with a bulk power pack and digital component set at the base section,
fitting an unmodified Canon AF-EOS camera.
I believe it used a 14Mp Kodak sensor. A revolution in its time.
As far as I know, they never did this for Pentax.
Also Nikon once delivered digital backs for its analog camera's.
Yes, but it was too early and also a bad way to do it. It was way too expensive, the Leica M8 of today is cheap in comparison to those cameras. It also made the cameras huge and clumsy, it made the cameras less usable. Today it could be done though. Much cheaper and in an unintrusive way. But i am not talking about some sort of digital conversion kit, rather a brand new high quality camera. Very much like the Leica M8, but SLR.

Yes, of course. Those wanting a huge clumsy bells n whistle-laden green-rectangle P&S like current DSLRs will not buy it. But all those people like me, misterb and a whole market sector wanting "real cameras" where we can concentrate on taking deliberate pictures, not the controls, are potential buyers. This is probably a bigger niche than Pentax share of the current DSLR market. It is really a lot of people round the world asking for quality cameras kept to the essentials, people with knowledge that want to make use of it, not beeing mere passengers to the technology.
01-04-2008, 04:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Guess who went for a walk today and had two rolls of film run through her?

Nineteen Fifty One and still ticking.
01-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

That's a nice camera Mike,

I do hope that you scan a couple of the pictures and post them.
01-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have every camera I ever bought.

KX, Ricoh XR2s, PZ-1, *istD, and K10D

You are asking whether the digital cameras will last 10 years. My *istD is already 4!

Additionally at 8000 photos on the *istD, compared to 13000 for the 3 film cameras combined, I am not sure the issue is years of life but number of frames.

my *istD will surpass the total number of shots ALL of my film cameras took, probably within a year.

It is not a question about shelf life but getting what you paid for, I believe, like a ton of other people that we do get this with digital SLRs.

In addition, it is not the camera life you need to worry about but lens life.

Pentax has insured, with its digitals that this is in excess of 50 years. Assuming they insure useability going forward, your major investment should be lenses any way, not camera bodies.

If you have your old lenses, just get a body and start shooting.
01-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #13

Hi Mike,

Your Airesreflex is about the same vintage as my Zeiss Super Ikonta. Its still going strong too. Just a couple of years younger is my Kodak Medalist II. The 100mm Ektar on it is one of the best lenses ever made.

Lowell,

I don't have every camera I ever bought but I have a few of them. In addition to the above two I still own my Olympus OM1n, Kodak Retina IIa, Pacemaker Crown Graphic 4X5, a fantastic and wonderfully versatile Pacemaker Speed Graphic (probably my favorite camera), a 4X5 pinhole camera a good friend made for me, and an old Olympus digital 850k pixel job.

I started with several Kodak Brownies when I was just a pup. Then a Clarus, Konica Auto S, Canon Pellix (wish I had that one back), Yashica Mat124G, Olympus OM4, a very early Speed Graphic, and who knows what else along the way. Those are just the ones I remember.

I really enjoy my Pentax K10D, can't think of anything that would cause me to sell it, and I don't plan on buying any newer versions. The K10D does what I ask of it and so I have no complaints. I just don't buy a new camera just to have the latest gear.

My idea of the ideal digital SLR? A digital version of the Oly OM4 with a Pentax lens mount. This is just my ideal, your mileage may vary.

Autofocus? Not really necessary, I can manual focus as fast or faster than the K10D, much quieter, more accurately (IMHO), been doing it for probably sixty years or so. I guess I'm pretty much used to doing things the way I've grown used to doing them. I do like the pictures I've taken with the K10D and am overall very satisfied with it. Its a keeper.

Cheers and have a good weekend all,

Phil
01-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I agree 100% with Lowell.