Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The PERFECT Camera...

...for travel?

(I will post this here, but if admin wants to shift it, please do so).

Does it exist? Is it a DSLR even?

This question keeps bugging me, my travel kit has gone from a 4 mpx p&s that would slip into your shirt pocket to a back pack of lenses & bodies that makes the Qantas check in people frown!!

Yet I remember well the frustration I felt with the little p&s with its 3x zoom.

Each time I pack I agonise over what lens' to take, tripod or no tripod, filters, how much weight? etc etc etc is there an easier way?

And then when travelling, how many shots do I miss by NOT having the right lens on at that precise moment, and then compromising because its not the right place to change a lens, and not wanting to look like I'm on consignment for National Geographic by carrying two or more bodies....which I have tried and is just plain awkward.

BUT, I love the quality I get from DS and lenses.

So, is travel photography about ultimate image quality or an acceptable record of ones....travels. I am beginning to suspect the latter. If I am totally honest with myself, the best travel lens in my kit is the 18-125, although it is too short.

Think I have succesfully talked myself into a 18-250? ..... ...............or have I?

What do you think people....what is the perfect travel camera?

Grant (its a wet day & things are a bit slow in the office)

01-02-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Exactly why I am starting out with the 18-250. Pretty darn good IQ by all accounts and versatility. I went from the pocket P&S to the K10D. I need to work out now. This thing is a tank, heavier than I thought it would be. Maybe the new Pentax will have a lightweight, super strong carbon fiber composite skeleton.......
01-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
G'day Workingdog,
But on the DS/DL/K100d series I think it would make a near perfect package. It will indeed be interesting to see the size of the new ones.
01-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The perfect camera (for travel) would be something in the 5-10 mP range, with excellent noise characteristics up to 800 ISO, with a f2.8 or faster zoom lens with a 35mm equivelent of 20-150mm. Electronic Viewfinder would be nice

There are some cameras that come close to this already, sadly just not pentax.

01-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I also went with the 18-250 Tamron and so far so good though I know down the road I will go with a larger telephoto lens [500-600 MM] I have only been shooting a few days with my new K10D and the 18-250 but have been happy with the picks I am taking. Need the tripod on full tele [250 MM] At my age I shake a little. Been trying all manual so far, including focus just to get use to the camers settings. Will take 10-15 different photos of the same picture at different setting and then compare results when I load them on my computer. I then take notes on what worked and didn't work in the shot for next go around. Should have it completely figured out in say 10-15 years or 100,000 photos. [What ever comes first!] Cheers JIMBO
01-04-2008, 04:37 AM   #6
Inactive Account

The best camera for travel i have had was my old mechanical Chinon CE-4 with two lenses, 35mm and 135mm. I could have the camera with the 35mm lens in my pocket, and the 135mm lens in another. That old 135mm f2.8 actually fits the small pockets of a jeans jacket. But of course, it is not digital, and no camera maker has made any digital camera like it. They think all people wants huge gorilla grip slr-cameras with lenses in the size of a coffe thermos that needs a backpack to be carried around.
01-04-2008, 05:59 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiss Quote
huge gorilla grip slr-cameras with lenses in the size of a coffe thermos that needs a backpack to be carried around.
I DO like a large camera but I like what they are doing to make the digital lenses smaller, lighter and all around more compact.