Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thinking About Picking Up a K20D

I'm wanting to pick up another body for my photography. RIght now I am using a K-x. I usually use both a telephoto and a normal prime lens while out in the mountains. Sometimes while out, I have to change lenses at an inopportune time, like when I come up on an animal unexpectedly and only have a 28mm lens on the camera.

I'd like to have two cameras ready at all times for this reason and thought about picking up a lightly used K20D. I don't have the money for a K-5 or K-7, but I think I can swing getting a K20D if I sell some unused lenses and things.

So, the question is, how comparable is the K20D to the K-x? It has a higher megapixel sensor compared to the KX and the weather sealing will be a plus for me. Does anyone think it would be a step backwards in IQ or handling? I know the high ISO isn't as good as the K-x, but I'd use the K-x in those situations anyway.

Does it sound like a good idea, or should I look for another camera?

02-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've had the following, and will give you my thoughts.

I started with the K20D, and upgraded to a K-5.

I also have a K-x that my wife uses 90% of the time.

Myself, I liked the K20D more than the K-x mostly for the fact of all the manual controls (buttons and 2 wheels). The other main difference is the size and heft of the K20D compared to the K-x. I have big hands so the K20D actually fit me better.

As far as IQ, I found my K20D to be fantastic as long as you kept the ISO at 800 or below. The only real advantage in my opinion of the K-x is the ability to get cleaner images above ISO800.

As far as handling, I found my K20D to be more intuitive because of the manual controls. Yes, it is a bit heavier and bulkier, but it still felt great in my hands.

I am very happy with my upgrade from the K20D to the K-5, but I would have felt it was a downgrade if I went from my K20D to the K-x.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth - good luck with your decision!
02-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It will be a step forward in handling, I guess you will also like the bigger viewfinder. Given the price bracket you have the K20D may actually be the best complement to the K-x.
02-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have both cameras. The K20 is much nicer to use in all respects, in my opinion. Manually focusing is easier, and the controls more convenient. It is better in virtually all aspects, other than high iso performance, as far as I am concerned.

02-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
I'm wanting to pick up another body for my photography. RIght now I am using a K-x. I usually use both a telephoto and a normal prime lens while out in the mountains. Sometimes while out, I have to change lenses at an inopportune time, like when I come up on an animal unexpectedly and only have a 28mm lens on the camera.

I'd like to have two cameras ready at all times for this reason and thought about picking up a lightly used K20D. I don't have the money for a K-5 or K-7, but I think I can swing getting a K20D if I sell some unused lenses and things.

So, the question is, how comparable is the K20D to the K-x? It has a higher megapixel sensor compared to the KX and the weather sealing will be a plus for me. Does anyone think it would be a step backwards in IQ or handling? I know the high ISO isn't as good as the K-x, but I'd use the K-x in those situations anyway.

Does it sound like a good idea, or should I look for another camera?
Check the Marketplace !

JP
02-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I love my K20D. I'm seriously thinking of passing on the K-5 altogether and waiting for what's next. It's good enough. Maybe a k-5 would be better, actually I know it would be in many ways... but is it enough better to justify the expense? That's hard to say. The other thing is, with the DA 18-135 or DA* 50-260, the system is water resistant. When I upgrade it will be the K20D, not the K-x, that I trade in, but if I was going to have just one, it would be the K20D.
02-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! You've stated just what I was thinking about the K20D. Now to sell some things so I can afford one.

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Check the Marketplace !

JP
I have been! I just need to sell some things to raise some money. Not fun having no cash when you want something so bad

BTW, I've seen your ad, and it is very tempting. Hopefully I can raise the money quickly.