Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If you you want the best of both, get a K-7, which shouldn't cost *that* much more than a K20D. You'll get the viewfinder more comparable to the K20D but a form factor more comparable to the K200D, and apparently more accurate stop down meering than the K20D as well. Of course, K-5 would be better still, but that's a different price range.
I think that's great advice from Marc. I have gone from K200D to K7, and noticed the slightly better stop-down metering. As well as a slightly larger viewfinder, there is also the option of live-view assisted focussing which is *incredibly* useful when focussing fast manual glass. I mean, it's beyond useful, it's revolutionary! That is definitely worth paying a little extra for over the K200D/K20D.

(Edit - I just remembered the K20D does have live view too - but I think the implementation is pretty basic compared to the K7...)

02-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wanted to jump back in here and thank everyone for their input. Given the input, budget, and choices I went with a low count K20d purchased from a forum member. It was delivered today and I getting the feel of a SLR again. My last and only real camera was ( and I still have it) a Ricoh KR-10 with an assortment of lenses I had accumulated, it's probably been about 8 years since I used it. I liked that camera and use it a lot, even won a few local photo contest using it! I figured it was time to step away from the digital point and shoot and get a real camera again to get those good lenses out of the camera bag.

I'm sure I'll have questions as I start using the K20 more.

If anyone has any pro audio questions feel free to ask, that's what I do and call my job!

Thanks
Mike Caldwell
www.mikecaldwellaudioproductions.com
02-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike C Quote
My last and only real camera was ( and I still have it) a Ricoh KR-10 with an assortment of lenses I had accumulated, it's probably been about 8 years since I used it.
That was my first SLR too, and I still have it. I bought a Pentax dslr because I had the lenses etc for the Ricoh, and now don't use anything from back then, but have no regrets, I love my 200d!!

Tuggie76
02-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike C Quote
......Given the input, budget, and choices I went with a low count K20d purchased from a forum member. It was delivered today and I getting the feel of a SLR again. My last and only real camera was ( and I still have it) a Ricoh KR-10 with an assortment of lenses I had accumulated, it's probably been about 8 years since I used it. I'm sure I'll have questions as I start using the K20 more.

If anyone has any pro audio questions feel free to ask, that's what I do and call my job!

Thanks
Mike Caldwell
www.mikecaldwellaudioproductions.com
Some Ricoh lenses have a pin at the mounting end. Please read the posts on that subject in pentaxforums and determine whether your lenses, if they are Ricoh, have these pins. Sometimes these lenses refuse to detach from Pentax mounts. I am not familiar with Ricoh lenses myself but it would be a worthwhile precaution.
Chhayanat

02-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chhayanat Quote
Some Ricoh lenses have a pin at the mounting end. Please read the posts on that subject in pentaxforums and determine whether your lenses, if they are Ricoh, have these pins. Sometimes these lenses refuse to detach from Pentax mounts. I am not familiar with Ricoh lenses myself but it would be a worthwhile precaution.
Chhayanat

Thanks for info, I had read about that. The idea of tearing a lens apart to get it off the camera doe not sound like fun! The lenses I have are all Pentax with a couple of Pentax friendly Vivitars.

Thanks again
Mike C.