Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2008, 12:25 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K100D Mess up

Okay, earlier i just picked up my camera and when i took a picture it worked fine.
afterwards i wanted to try a new exposure so i pull back the thing to test your exspousure.
[sorry for spelling]
when i pulled it back it made this weird noise. i than tried again, it still made the noise. i turned the camera on than off. still made this noise.
so i took off the lens than pulled it back.
So when i press in the shutter. the thing inside seems to work perfectly. when i pull back the thing to take a test picture. the shutter doesnt move. but this lil thing on the side does.

Camera is about 3 months old. never dropped.

please help me.!!!!

Last edited by Blake Reverb; 01-03-2008 at 12:35 AM.
01-03-2008, 12:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You probably have your camera set to "optical preview". All it does then is to stop down to the aperture you have selected so that you can see the depth of field through the viewfinder. The mirror doesn't go up and the shutter doesn't open. The weird noise you hear (and the thing you see moving) is the mechanism that operates the aperture lever on your lens. Basically it moves upward (out of the way) and a spring inside the lens shuts the iris down to your selected aperture. After the exposure is finished the little thingy moves down and opens up the iris on the lens again.

Nothing to worry about.
01-03-2008, 01:11 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You must have changed it in C menu. DOF preview from digital to normal. What's happening is exactly what Mike Cash wrote, so I won't to over it again... If you want your camera to take test picture after pulling ON/OFF lever to DOF preview position, insted of just stopping down the lens, you have to to to Custom men, find DOF preview, and then set it to digital...
good luck...
01-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It doesn't take long to get used to that feature. I prefer it now rather than look down at the screen.

I wonder what newbies did before digital came out.

01-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There used to be a mechanical lever, and if you go back to Spotmatic days you had to push it to meter stopped down. None of this multi-purpose fly by wire stuff.

The real question is: what did newbies do before the internet?! There was such a thing as: talking (shudder), reading a manual (ugh), a book (yikes) or magazine (ouch) all on... paper

01-03-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've used those leavers while shooting with Medium format, however I really started with P&S cameras.
So it wasn't until I got my K100 before I started to learn how to adjust the exposure to suite the conditions I was shooting with.

I could see people in the old film days shooting their entire life without knowing that under exposing the shot just a little while shooting towards the sun will bring out the sky, or simple things like that.
01-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I've used those leavers while shooting with Medium format, however I really started with P&S cameras.
So it wasn't until I got my K100 before I started to learn how to adjust the exposure to suite the conditions I was shooting with.

I could see people in the old film days shooting their entire life without knowing that under exposing the shot just a little while shooting towards the sun will bring out the sky, or simple things like that.
Well now, for some of us, those "old days" aren't over...

And you learn about exposure VERY quickly with film. Nothing like spending an entire evening developing film, only to find blown out highlights in your otherwise Pulitzer-worthy work.