Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Be a good neighbor, & turn off the Beeps/assist lite

At special indoor events with seating, I don't want my shooting to disturb others nearby.

I had been requested by management to take some photos at a new play festival, and yesterday i did this at 2 different performances. It wasn't the sort of situation where i could walk freely around without disturbing others, and all i needed was a few shots to convey the sort of things happening at the event, for possible later use with local papers/newsletters.

I have myself been disturbed by someone shooting an event where i attended as a paid attendee. All those beeps a camera gives off can be annoying when its continued for a long period of time.

All the Pentax dslrs (3 so far) i've had, plus an inexpensive Canon point and shoot, allow beeps and focus assist lights to be turned off. While these sounds do not matter in a noisy event, in quieter events, and carried on for long periods, they can be downright annoying, and i'm a pretty serious shooter myself.

Just a thought.

02-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I realized this at a concert I attended once. Everyone around me and their mother had a camera of some sort, and I was afraid my shutter sound (k-x) and my screw drive (Tamron 90mm F2.8) would mark me out as the noisiest out of everyone. Then I heard everyone else's focus beep and shutter sounds.

Turning off my focus beep and turning off all lights on my camera (back LCD, power indicator) made me pretty much incognito in that audience of beeps and clicks. Heck, I made sure to prefocus to where I needed to be manually before shooting.

Only problem now is that in bright daylight, I'm too lazy to turn on the focus beep again and it's sometimes impossible to see the focus indicator in the viewfinder under super bright daylight.
02-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I realized this at a concert I attended once. Everyone around me and their mother had a camera of some sort, and I was afraid my shutter sound (k-x) and my screw drive (Tamron 90mm F2.8) would mark me out as the noisiest out of everyone. Then I heard everyone else's focus beep and shutter sounds.

Turning off my focus beep and turning off all lights on my camera (back LCD, power indicator) made me pretty much incognito in that audience of beeps and clicks. Heck, I made sure to prefocus to where I needed to be manually before shooting.

Only problem now is that in bright daylight, I'm too lazy to turn on the focus beep again and it's sometimes impossible to see the focus indicator in the viewfinder under super bright daylight.
Agreed! I don't think there is anyway to 100% not be noticed. I'm sure my shooting has been noticed by others before. But i think the key is to minimize the disturbance as much as possible.

Another thing that helps is to get your camera fully adjusted by taking some test shots before the event begins to shake out any exposure or focus problems or WB problems, if thats important. RAW is also my friend. Fewer wasted shots that way.
02-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The beeps from my K-r are very unobtrusive when set to the lowest volume level, but still loud enough to (usually) hear it if the camera is at eye level. I can't imagine it disturbing anyone, and I keep it set like that all the time. Good point about the focus assist lamp though.

02-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
All beeps, lights, instant review screens etc are off by default on any camera of mine.
I only turn them on when I need any of them, which is practically never. I find them too distracting for myself, let alone obtrusive to others.
02-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Have set a user mode up for that.
All sound off, assiting light off, the green light of the lcd also off and the LCD brightness to the lowest level.

It's quite an obivous thing to do sad, that not everyone is bright enough...
02-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be a good neighbor, "turn off your screaming infant". This should be a new thread in it self. Camera noises and flashes do not compare to the disruption provided by the said beast.
02-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
All beeps, lights, instant review screens etc are off by default on any camera of mine.
I only turn them on when I need any of them, which is practically never. I find them too distracting for myself, let alone obtrusive to others.
As much as i like the status screen, having it come on really bright really affects one's vision at the VF at night. Its easy to persuade oneself that some of these are needed, but usually not, all the time. Perhaps like Anvh suggested, they could be set up via a user mode.

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Have set a user mode up for that.
All sound off, assiting light off, the green light of the lcd also off and the LCD brightness to the lowest level.
Thank you - a great idea on the user mode. Hadn't though of turning the brightness down on the LCD screen i'll try that out.

02-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Someone talked to me about this a few weeks ago. Not in the audience, but after listening to my AF-beeps for 15 minutes he thought that it was more then enough
02-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I turn mine off because with my lousy hearing, I can't hear beeps anyhow. It also helps extend battery life although I have gone weeks without recharging my battery.
02-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Someone talked to me about this a few weeks ago. Not in the audience, but after listening to my AF-beeps for 15 minutes he thought that it was more then enough
I had a Play Director come to me politely and report that she received complaints about the rapid shooting from a new person i had invited to shoot with us (Nikon D7000). It was the beeping from a Nikon D300s that bothered me one time and i was at least 15 feet away, although i don't know there is a difference in beeping between the makes.
02-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #12

The more annoying of all is the noisy AF when using non SDM/DC lenses... now THAT's annoying!
03-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Turning them off was the first thing I did when I got my K-x.
03-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

My focus assist light is turned off permanently (and beep is set very low because it annoys me) ! It hardly seems to make a difference anyhow.
03-03-2012, 12:08 AM   #15
Site Supporter

K-x, low light, old manual Takumar, CIF focus assist on (can't see the @$#% hexagon, and can't hear so well anymore), set it to continuous shooting, and let it rip! That machine gun sound certainly draws some attention... Well, at least the Pentax name do get noticed, and about the silent insults, I've got a thick skin

Just kidding, I did it one evening at the school prize giving ceremony, only later on thought about all the looks I got, till my wife told me about all the noise I made