Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CIF (catch in focus) unattended and remote - what are your set up's?

This is probably my third time asking for suggestions regarding the use of the Catch In Focus feature but this time I am asking for more help.
I already know how to set up my camera (K5) and the lens (DA*300/4) for CIF and it works great for single, attended shots.

Help Wanted No.1: Now, I want to be able to leave the camera unattended and still use the CIF feature so that the cam will take pics of approaching birds once they get in focus.

I thought of using my little IR remote (Pentax), and push the button to simulate pressing the shutter button but that doesn't work. It just takes the shot, period.

Help Wanted No. 2: Can CIF also be used with setting the camera to AF-C rather than AF-S ?

Help Wanted No.3: Can CIF be used with Continuous shooting mode?

What I really after is this: being able to let the camera "unattended", once a bird (or an animal) comes into the focus zone, the camera would fire once (AF-S) or several times (AF-C), then return to an "idle" mode until yet another bird comes into the focus area.

Thanks a bunch for any/all suggestions/help !

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 02-13-2012 at 02:37 PM.
02-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Help Wanted No.1: Now, I want to be able to leave the camera unattended and still use the CIF feature so that the cam will take pics of approaching birds once they get in focus.

I thought of using my little IR remote (Pentax), and push the button to simulate pressing the shutter button but that doesn't work. It just takes the shot, period.
This absolutely DOES WORK (on the Kx is does, can not test it on my K5 because it is being repaired). It more than likely fired off because you did not have it set correctly. When using your remote and the camera is set up for CIF, what happens is if the body gets the IR signal from the remote and nothing is in focus, the body in return activates the soft shutter (internal software) that simulates a user holding the shutter button down - once the subject comes in focus the shutter is tripped and IR is again active.

You can verify this by tripod'ing/table'ing your camera, set it up for CIF with IR shutter - stay out of focus and press IR/remote button and the camera will stop blinking (means IR has activated soft shutter)...

Help Wanted No. 2: Can CIF also be used with setting the camera to AF-C rather than AF-S ?
No

Thanks a bunch for any/all suggestions/help !
NP

JP
Seems we share the same initials...
02-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Here is what I have done with both my K-5 and my K200D

Ref #1: Use a wired or radio remote in continous shooting mode. You will need a remote where you can press the release button for a couple of seconds to keep it activated. Maybe you can use the IR remote the same way - I have never tried that.

Ref. #2: Use AF.S - you cannot use AF.C

Ref. #3: Yes, continous shooting and CIF works - but only if you keep the release activated as per #1 above (or, you may use a mechanical clamp directly on the camera body shutter release).

See some more about how it can be done here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/51036-how-use...tml#post488792

PS.: Some of the "requirements" such as the use of Av mode stated in the link above are not true. I use MF lenses in manual mode equally well.

Last edited by Stone G.; 02-13-2012 at 03:43 PM.
02-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
This absolutely DOES WORK (on the Kx is does, can not test it on my K5 because it is being repaired). It more than likely fired off because you did not have it set correctly. When using your remote and the camera is set up for CIF, what happens is if the body gets the IR signal from the remote and nothing is in focus, the body in return activates the soft shutter (internal software) that simulates a user holding the shutter button down - once the subject comes in focus the shutter is tripped and IR is again active.

You can verify this by tripod'ing/table'ing your camera, set it up for CIF with IR shutter - stay out of focus and press IR/remote button and the camera will stop blinking (means IR has activated soft shutter)...

OK, so I tried with the IR remote ... it isn't working.

The camera is set this way:

AF-S
Catch-in Focus "ON" (#25 in Menu)
Lens is on "M" (I used a DA*16-50 for that test)
Drive Mode -- Remote Control (single shot - no delay)

Metering on TAv ... I repeated the test with Av

When I press the remote button when the subject is very much out of focus it takes a shot immediately.

So, obviously, I am doing something wrong because your setup seems to work, and so is Stone G.'s setup.

Seems we share the same initials...
Yeah same initials ... I just noticed !

02-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote

Ref #1: Use a wired or radio remote in continous shooting mode. You will need a remote where you can press the release button for a couple of seconds to keep it activated. Maybe you can use the IR remote the same way - I have never tried that.

Ref. #2: Use AF.S - you cannot use AF.C

Ref. #3: Yes, continous shooting and CIF works - but only if you keep the release activated as per #1 above (or, you may use a mechanical clamp directly on the camera body shutter release).

See some more about how it can be done here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/51036-how-use...tml#post488792

PS.: Some of the "requirements" such as the use of Av mode stated in the link above are not true. I use MF lenses in manual mode equally well.
Hi !

See my post just previous to this one .... it's not working !

The link you provided explains exactly what I want to do except it uses a cable remote which can be locked.
The IR cannot be locked.

JP
02-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The IR cannot be locked.
It doesn't need to be locked. Unless the feature was removed from the Kx to the K5 (again, my K5 is getting fixed, release button, on'off switch, etc.. so can't test with mine), then you can do this with the remote. Preflight:

- Make sure LV (liveview) is not on as it will not work with LV on
- This is using your DA* lens, this also will not work with MF lenses, must be an AF lens switched to MF
- Make sure in your settings (custom menu settings) that "Focus AF With Remote Control" is set to "2"

There you have it - one press of the remote control will SoftLock the shutter, once subject is in focus, shutter will fire - no need to hold the remote or anything...
02-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
On K-x my set up is like this:
AF-S, Remote (drive mode), AF with remote control set to 2 (ON) [C2--11].
Not perfect but works most of the time.

Edit: joe with fast finger
02-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks again for the reply and patience!

It doesn't need to be locked. Unless the feature was removed from the Kx to the K5 (again, my K5 is getting fixed, release button, on'off switch, etc.. so can't test with mine), then you can do this with the remote. Preflight:

- Make sure LV (liveview) is not on as it will not work with LV on
Not on LV, for sure it isn't!
-
This is using your DA* lens, this also will not work with MF lenses, must be an AF lens switched to MF
The DA* lenses I have can be switched to AF/MF , so that shouldn't be a problem. I am not sure if you mean that DA* lenses won't work or they will ?I made sure they were switched to MF.
- Make sure in your settings (custom menu settings) that "Focus AF With Remote Control" is set to "2"
Ahhh ! Could this be the faulty setting? I did not set it to "AF with remote control "ON" (option 2 in Custom Menu no. 18)
There you have it - one press of the remote control will SoftLock the shutter, once subject is in focus, shutter will fire - no need to hold the remote or anything...
So, I will go back and do some more testing tomorrow.

Cheers.

JP

02-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ultraviolet Quote
On K-x my set up is like this:
AF-S, Remote (drive mode), AF with remote control set to 2 (ON) [C2--11].
Not perfect but works most of the time.

Edit: joe with fast finger
Thanks.

I replied to Joe.Penn above and I hadn't set the AF with remote "ON".

As I said, I will try again tomorrow.

JP
02-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #10

Am I reading this right, that you've gotten both continuous mode and remote at the same time on your K200D?? I can only find out how to have one or the other, not both. Fn -> up nav -> single, timer, continuous (hi/lo), remote, etc
02-14-2012, 01:42 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pezmaker Quote
Am I reading this right, that you've gotten both continuous mode and remote at the same time on your K200D?? I can only find out how to have one or the other, not both. Fn -> up nav -> single, timer, continuous (hi/lo), remote, etc
Your are right; you can't have both on the K200D - and that is why a cable or radio remote release is required. So, set your K200D to continuous shooting and lock the cable/radio release. That way, it does work.
02-14-2012, 01:46 AM   #12
Site Supporter

But it will only fire once, or do I miss something.......?

What jpzk wants, as I understand it, is to use continous shooting, leave the camera unattended and have it fire each time a subject comes into focus. (And as said, at least that can be achieved by means of a cable/radio remote release).
02-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

But it will only fire once, or do I miss something.......?
Yes, it will only fire once. I didn't address his question of "can cif be used in continuous" as I didn't put the two questions together (actually, funny thing is I didn't even see his #3 questions when I first posted a reply, maybe he added it while I was replying??).

So, the cable release with a shutter lock would be the way to go. The K5 does support hi speed shooting with the remote control, so he could use a clamp to hold the button of the remote down - in theory, this will work, the only issue would be battery life of the remote...