Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2006, 07:12 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Got my k10d!! (pics attached)

Howdy all,

Well my new camera came on the 22nd, so needless to say out I went to find birdies. I went around my closest lake... no luck. I drove up and down country roads... doggone hawks won't stay still. Went home and had lots of chickadees hanging around my trees... I guess sometimes the best things are in your own backyard.

Here is my favorite from the 23rd. I shot my k10d on green mode, with a sigma 500mm f/4.5 and an external flash set at 50mm with a better beamer. moderate cropping around the bird and I'm pretty happy.

Merry christmas all,
Steph

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
12-25-2006, 07:14 AM   #2

Original Poster
Pic looks better in person

I just looked at the upload and have to say that my image doesn't have the fuzziness at all. it is crisp.

Steph
12-25-2006, 07:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations on the new equipment. Nice bird shot. Have had the same problem posting shots to the web. You have to sharpen more, add contrast and saturation. It takes a while to get it the way you want it. 500 4.5 should be one heck of a lens.
thanks
barondla
12-25-2006, 08:47 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
it looks sharp to me...

12-25-2006, 09:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What a nice pose the bird's doing for you! And a lovely catchlight in its eye. You're right, it's a teensy bit soft and a little flat, but that can be fixed easily. Great story too, about searching high and low for subjects - I just did much the same this morning, dragged the camera with me on a drive and took no pictures, came home and found plenty in the back yard to shoot. Enjoy your new toy!

Julie
12-25-2006, 02:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Congrads on the new sigma 500 f4.5 and k10d! What a nice combo to have.

If I had not run out of money, I would want one too.

Is Autofocus fast enough for you? Your bird photo is probably focused in the area below the beak. Not sure whether this image was shot wide open?

Great weather to do birding!

Looking forward to see more bird photos from you

James
12-25-2006, 03:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
Focused on the eye. In photoshop everything is very sharp and detailed with no softness that I see in the uploaded pics. I just wish you could see the RAW shot. Yes it was shot at f 4.5.

Love the lens (Although I'm saving up for the Pentax 600mm f/4.0, if I can find one), bought it used from Adorama. Autofocus much faster than with the *ist that I have been using. Pics seem quite sharp, but may have some softness when using teleconverters. I'll know more after I've been playing with this combo for a while. If you want a big lens that is quite light and well built I would recommend checking it out. My biggest problem with the birdies is that they are always moving and are usually in trees or bushes, so I seem to manual focus alot of the time too.

I will try to upload some others to the gallery later.

Steph
12-25-2006, 03:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi Steph, I actually have the same experience as many do here. But it does not happen often with pentax lenses like the limited or A* series. I found the images produced from these lenses sharp even just in jpeg format.

I saw bhphoto talking about sigma 500 f4.5 as a newer version coming out DG EX or something like that. Your one would be the former version?

I am saving up for fa 600 f4.0 as well and have been looking very hard. So far I have the rumour that some were sold in second hand shop in singapore and Taiwan. Unfortunately these shops do not ship lenses overseas - so I have to go and collect them myself...

Phototramp (David) recently revealed that he had a bargain on fa 600 f4.0 and it had been sent to maintainance... I am eagerly anticipating his images from that lens

p.s. what teleconverters are you referring to? pentax 1.7 or tamron 1.4 or sigma converter?

Depsite what everyone believing in teleconverter tamron 1.4X, it washed out the beautiful colour of pentax lenses. I am waiting for the pentax rear a 2X converter. Hopefully not a dissapointment

12-25-2006, 03:50 PM   #9

Original Poster
I have a kenko tokina 2X and a sigma 1.4 X teleconverters. I can honestly say that there is a significant lack of detail when you stack all these together. My lens is the earlier version and I was using the k10d to watch a hawk in flight autofocus seems fast but has trouble keeping up when birdies flying right at you.

I have heard that the new lens from sigma will have the supersonic motor technology, not sure if it will have the AF override on the focus ring or not like the nikon or canon.

Keep me updated on the 600mm

Steph

Ps I have posted an image of a red shouldered hawk in the nature gallery from this lens and my *ist.
12-25-2006, 03:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for your reply Steph.

Would you mind to shed a little light on how much you spent on the lens from adorama?

I would go and have a look at your photo

p.s. I do realise manual focus might have a better chance to capture the shot where the bird is coming at you directly?

James
12-25-2006, 03:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Is this bird white breasted nuthatch I saw frequently on this website?
12-25-2006, 04:01 PM   #12

Original Poster
I paid $2000 US for the lens. This bird is a Carolina chickadee which we have alot of in the winter here in Oklahoma.

Steph