Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Importing cameras and lenses...duty?

What is the threshold price for duty to be owned on imported cameras and lenses from Asia?

I am not talking about huge amounts. Say purchases of $500 to $800.

If there is duty and the items come via Fedx, does Fedx collect the duty?

Thanks

02-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Couriers will normally send your stuff to brokers who charge duties + a fee.

If you want to just pay the duty, or get lucky and slip by, send via EMS. Usually if an item is used, you won't be charged customs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Where are you? DEpends which country you live.
02-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Avoid Ground shipping & you should be fine.

02-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #5

Here in Canada, photographic equipments are exempted. We only have to pay sale tax. It's likely that US would have the same rules.
02-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I believe $800 is the threshold for importing things into the US from other countries. Here's a link that might be helpful. Now, on top of this you can be charged a brokerage fee if the item is shipped via UPS/FedEx. This is one reason I always use USPS/EMS for international shipping as they don't charge outrageous brokerage fees.

I would say so long as you keep the declared value below $800 and ship via EMS, you should be fine in terms of paying any duty. Also, FWIW, you won't be charged sales tax on the declared value (as you would if you lived in Canada).