Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take Care Everyone, and Thank You...

I don't know where to put this, but I figured since I only dealt with DSLR's, this was appropriate. If not, Adam, feel free to work your re-appropriation magic

But I just wanted to say goodbye, but just for now! I am deploying to Afghanistan tomorrow and I am not sure of what the living conditions will be like, and thus the same goes for availability of internet. To be honest, I don't think it will be too hard to access, especially with the war being not what it was in its first few years. For those who saw any of my listings for the lenses I was selling, this isn't news to you. But I wasn't able to announce when it was going to happen for security reasons.

Anyway, I wanted to say thank you to everyone here at Pentax Forums for their unrivaled friendliness and willingness to volunteer their expertise. I was a longtime member of DPReview forums before first discovering this place, and then later signing up and quit being just a lurker. I am very, very much glad I was guided over here. I know I haven't posted too much, but I can assure you that without each of your input, I would not be the terrible photographer I am today. I would instead be a very terrible photographer

I came to Pentax for my own personal needs - a desire to further home my photography while not breaking the bank (so much for that plan....why are the lenses so nice?!), but with a tool that would have me trying to keep up with it as opposed to the other way around. Combine that with the compactness and ruggedness to handle my fast-paced lifestyle, and I went from considering a Canon T3i to the 7D, and then finally to the Pentax K-7. I now have the Pentax K-5, and unless the next model is as revolutionary as the K-5 was in comparison it's little brother the K-7, I do not see the need to upgrade for a very long time. Like I said, I came to the forum community for personal needs to help guide my decision. I now stay because of how warm and knowledgeable the community is, and the slight hope that I can help by adding to it.

I am bringing my photography gear with me on my deployment, so I hope to do the "Paris of the Middle East" (what Kabul, her capital, was labeled during the 70's) justice with regard to her beauty. I will be in the east of Afghanistan (exact location withheld), so I hope to capture some really mesmerizing sunrises and sunsets that only mountain ranges can produce.

I also plan, when I come home, to do a review on all my gear (which you can see listed in my signature, and which is all coming with me in a Canon 200EG Backpack) and how it held up to the rigors of a combat deployment. DA * 's are about to get quite the workout

In closing, I would like to share some photographs that I am most proud of, all of which were taken with either the K-7 or K-5. I would do a "Year in Review," but the year just started, so I'll include 2011 in as well. I hope you don't mind too much

Like I said, thank you again so very much for your direct and indirect mentorship and tutelage, and in the event I don't get internet while over there (which is HIGHLY unlikely), I can't wait to come back to a whole new offering of lenses to spend my deployment earnings on

Venice, 2011 - K-7

Barcelona, 2011 - K-7 - Futbol Club Barcelona beats Manchester United

Chamonix-Mont Blanc, France, 2011 - K-7 - This is my to-date proudest photograph.

Bamberg, Germany (my current hometown), 2011 - K-5 - My first attempt at true macro...

Grafenwoehr, Germany, 2011 - K-5 - My first attempt at selective black and white...

Balingen, Germany, 2012 - K-5 - Hohenzollern Castle, the inside of the Protestant Chapel

Same as above, but the castle itself.

Bratislava, Slovakia, 2012 - K-5 - A self portrait done inside an abandoned building looking out the 4th story window.

Salzberg, Austria, 2011 - K-7 - An elderly couple enjoying a quite moment together in a park

Oktoberfest, Munich, Germany, 2011 - K-5 - Yours truly, on my first outing with my then-brand new K-5. The shots toward the end of the day would progressively require more and more straightening adjustments...

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 02-23-2012 at 01:14 PM.
02-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow! Beautiful work! Best of luck & stay safe over there. Bob :-)
02-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I share the same sentiments as Gibby. Great shots, and stay safe!
02-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Heie - stay safe and hope to see you back soon

02-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Stay safe!
02-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Thank you for your service and stay safe
02-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great images - Thank you for your service and be sure to stay safe!

02-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice--I'm looking forward to your shots take on Afghanistan!
Best of luck.
02-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Alex, best to you, good luck, and thank you in particular for this image, it's fantastic:

02-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #10

Take care and God bless.

Sincerely,

Peter
02-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All the best in your work, and hope to hear from you upon your return.
God bless.
02-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes, that bullet shot is special! All of your work is beautiful!

Please be safe and come back to us soon! Take care of yourself!
02-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I share the same sentiments as Gibby. Great shots, and stay safe!
Same goes from me. Thanks and be safe
02-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

God's speed and thank you for your service.
02-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Safe Journey, Safe Tour, Safe Return Home.

Thanks for what you're doing for all of us.