Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Storing Lens on the Camera?

I know this is a real new guy question, but I'm a new guy.

Do experienced DSLR owners store their lens attached to the camera or not? I know it would be common sense to take the lens off if you were storing it for a long period. But what about a few days or a week sitting in the camera bag or on a shelf? Do you guys leave the lens on the camera?

Thanks

01-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes.

01-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I keep my shortest lens on my camera. Its what I have to do to fix everything in my bag. I don't really see a problem with it as long as its in a bag.
01-03-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I always keep a lens on the camera when it's in the bag. I would think that the least number of times you have to expose the internal camera mechanism to the elements, the better off you are.

01-03-2008, 09:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joe_M Quote

Do experienced DSLR owners store their lens attached to the camera or not? I know it would be common sense to take the lens off if you were storing it for a long period. But what about a few days or a week sitting in the camera bag or on a shelf? Do you guys leave the lens on the camera?

Thanks
I leave the K10D with 50-135 attached CONSTANTLY in its own custom hard plastic carry case with foam inner lining. I carry it around like a nerd too. I am not ashamed. I get around on a motorbike and it is strapped on behind me. It goes in the boot of the Mrs car or the mates van and I am never worried.
The case lives right next to my bedside when at home.

Peter
01-03-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joe_M Quote

Thanks
Yes.

There is no problem. No levers are under tension when a lens is attached to the camera.
I leave the last lens used on the camera.
Want to avoid getting dust in the camera.
Getting dust of the sensor is a pain, ah , those good old 35mm film days!

- Bert
01-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys I appreciate it.

I just ordered the 50-135mm and figured it would best to ask since I wasn't sure. I'd hate to ruin a lens that cost more than the camera.
01-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I leave the DA 18-250 on the camera, but I do lock the zoom at 18 mm when storing it in the bag.

01-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Sometimes i sleep with my camera. But ALWAYS with the lens on... geese no lens would feel weird. haha oh but once (no joke) i woke up in the morning and accidentally kicked it off the bed! fortunately it landed on a bag not the floor and is undamaged. phew.