Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OId filters ok for digital?

Are there any issues with using old filters on digital bodies - such as unexpected shifts in coloration? I'm primarily thinking about the ubiquitous skylight 1A, but I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts on the topic.

Also, what kind of polarizer should one use on a digital camera? I know that my old Maxxum needed a circular which I'm hoping will be the right size for some of my Pentax lenses. I didn't use it often, but when I did use it, it was very helpful.

Thanks,
Marc

02-15-2012, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Are there any issues with using old filters on digital bodies - such as unexpected shifts in coloration? I'm primarily thinking about the ubiquitous skylight 1A, but I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts on the topic.

Also, what kind of polarizer should one use on a digital camera? I know that my old Maxxum needed a circular which I'm hoping will be the right size for some of my Pentax lenses. I didn't use it often, but when I did use it, it was very helpful.

Thanks,
Marc
For digital, you want a circular rather than a linear polarizer, so it should be fine. As far as the skylight, some are ok, some are noticably bad. Take sharp pictures of text with and without the filter -- it should be easy to tell if it is degrading image quality. Also try shooting with the sun hitting the lens at an angle to check flare behavior with and without the filter. Color shift shouldn't be an issue but you can also check if your AWB is setting the WB differently with and without filter on same subject and lighting. It should be the same or nearly so (as long as it isn't drastic, it doesn't matter).