Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2012, 03:59 AM   #1

New DSLR

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum but have been using Pentax for a few years now
Not sure if this is the correct spot to chat about it but please direct me to the right place if it isn't!!
I have been looking around for a new SLR for a little while now but I don't want one that has HD Video, I have a Camcorder for that purpose and want to keep it separate, the issue I'm finding is that I can not find one that doesn't have it!! I've looked all over the net and found nothing and have also spoken to a couple of camera shops but I don't seem to get much response from them. Can anyone tell me if I am beating my head against a wall or have I completely over looked a model or 2??
I haven't got the largest budget but somewhere up to $2k or so..

Thank you all in advance

Pete

02-16-2012, 04:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From what I am aware of you are going to find "most" if not all new DSLRs will pack HD video. I dont know why you would avoid purchasing it just because it has the HD video. one way to look at it would be to ignore the video feature and just buy the camera you find most suitable. I know I have used my video mode on my K-7 maybe 4 times for the 12 months that I have owned it. So I would look at the K-5 since it is down to around the 1000-1200 mark it has excellent image quality and all the rest. It also provides you with a "back-up" video option if you prefer your other camcorder. Then you save a few bob for a new lens or two.
02-16-2012, 04:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

After using the video mode on my DSLR I am contemplating selling my HD Camcorder!
02-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All modern DSLR will pack Video mode...
With 2000$ you can get a K5 and a limited prime...
Consider that with the dslr you'll be able to use different optics for diferent situations that might toss you in the same direction as Tonto...you may end selling your camcorder
But i gotta say i own a Kx and haven't use it's video feature once...

02-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #5

Pappasmurf79:

The others are right. The movie mode is separate. It isn't going to get in your way. I have both the K-7 which has this mode and the K-20d which does not. My first thought when reading your note is that it may not be too late to get a K-20d in near-new condition. The K-20d is a great camera (it was top of the Pentax line before the K-7), and you could probably get one with a very low shutter count and have enough money left over for some nice lenses.

Lawrence
02-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by puppasmurf79 Quote
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum but have been using Pentax for a few years now
Not sure if this is the correct spot to chat about it but please direct me to the right place if it isn't!!
I have been looking around for a new SLR for a little while now but I don't want one that has HD Video, I have a Camcorder for that purpose and want to keep it separate, the issue I'm finding is that I can not find one that doesn't have it!! I've looked all over the net and found nothing and have also spoken to a couple of camera shops but I don't seem to get much response from them. Can anyone tell me if I am beating my head against a wall or have I completely over looked a model or 2??
I haven't got the largest budget but somewhere up to $2k or so..

Thank you all in advance

Pete
LOL...That's denial right there! The minute you start using the video on the new crop of DSLRs, you will never use your dedicated video camera again. I know. It happened to me.

I have a Canon Vixia with less than 5 hours of use on it - sitting around doing NOTHING.

It makes so much sense to have a single camera that does both. Unless you have a high end video camera, a DSLR with the changeable lenses will be a better tool.
02-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A camera contains many things I don't actually need or are superfluous to it's operation... I overcome this by ignoring these things! The same is true of any technology... You could take a dislike of 'multifunctionality' to a ridiculous degree... e.g. 'My computer has a little clock in the corner. Why? I already have a wristwatch! I would rather my computer stuck purely to being a computer, and let my wristwatch retain it's proper place as my primary method of checking the time!'
02-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The 645D doesn't have video mode but that camera is 5 times your budget...

02-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
All modern DSLR will pack Video mode...

Yep...as will most P&S cameras and cellphones. It's getting to where it's pretty much unavoidable. It's just more evil new technology that we could do without, but which we have to learn to live with...like autofocus.