Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One a day pills

I believe that most folks would agree that using only a single lens (or FL on your zoom?) for a period of time can be quite educational -- especially if you use it beyond the point of becoming frustrated by its apparent lack of versatility and discover new tricks.

It occurred to me I might learn an equivalent amount about bodies if I treated the Mode Dial and Function Menus the same way. By confining my shooting to one mode per session (after studying the manual and building a crib-sheet) I've gained a new appreciation for the versatility and convenience of the Mode Dial.

Leaving the habitual 'comfort zone' of Manual and AV modes has made me realize that those "other modes" can be considered pre-sets for many of the choices I'd set manually anyway and can be short cuts to avoid time consuming 'menu-diving' in some cases.

Let's see now . . . if I combine the e-dial with the EV button, that Program Mode becomes a . . .

So far, I'm afraid to try the Scene Modes though; I'm afraid I may discover they're as smart as I think I am and I'd have to dig into the custom options under the Function button to stay ahead!

H2

02-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you have a k-x, those scene modes are not as smart as you think you are =p

I still use manual mode, unless I'm doing street photography, then it goes into Av mode. But mostly because I take pictures of things that don't move and don't generally disappear in a short time.
02-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The mode where you'll learn the most is M mode. Total control over all parameters.
Nevertheless, for most of my photography, I've found the Av mode with non-auto ISO most useful, which basically gives me complete control over DoF and noise control whilst allowing for the camera to meter using shutter speed.

For instances where I want to control shutter speed as well for avoiding or permitting motion blur, TAv mode is particularly useful.
02-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I usually shoot in P mode and leverage the versatility of hyper program. If you really want to learn, though, I'd pick up a camera like the super program. It'll let you shoot in P, M, Tv, and Av, and you'll be able to do it without having to stop down to meter!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I like my LOTD (lens of the day) strategy, to use only one lens for a day or ten. I hadn't thought of a MOTD (mode of the day) trick, but sure, that could be fun! But we could also extend that to shutter-speed-of-the day (shoot only a 1/100th, etc) or aperture-of-the-day (use f/5.6, nothing more, nothing less). And try COTD (color of the day), like shooting only mauve stuff. All these exercise are good eye-training.

Last edited by RioRico; 02-16-2012 at 10:11 PM.
02-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
use f/5.6, nothing more, nothing less
Aww, now you're just settin' us up for a tin can, pin-hole camera for a year challenge ain't cha, RR.

Then how 'bout only shooting two feet or more above or below "normal" eye-level using only "f/5.6, nothing more, nothing less" on even numbered, rainy Wednesdays? Restricting oneself to a new or awkward mode is always at least entertaining, even if not necessarily educational!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The mode where you'll learn the most is M mode.
If you haven't already achieved at least proficiency in manual mode, using the pre-sets is just flyin' blind and hopin' you don't hit anything hard. The point isn't to learn the basics but to explore something new.

It interests me that I can pick up my original Honeywell H1a with a Super Tak and shoot as well as I did half a century ago using old habits but I still stare at some of the stuff on the DSLRs like a dawg lookin' at a digital wrist watch.

H2

( mauve?? No way, RR. Real men only recognize five colors - red, white, blue, yellow and green. Everything else is either fruit, women's shoes or lingerie! )
02-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Aww, now you're just settin' us up for a tin can, pin-hole camera for a year challenge ain't cha, RR.
Good idea!

QuoteQuote:
Then how 'bout only shooting two feet or more above or below "normal" eye-level using only "f/5.6, nothing more, nothing less" on even numbered, rainy Wednesdays?
Good idea!

I've previously suggested brain-training exercises, and here are some more:

* Only shoot straight up, or straight down, from any appropriate elevation
* Only shoot whilst crawling on thy belly like a reptile -- no back-flips, now
* Only shoot whilst hanging upside-down -- be sure to have a secure strap
* Visit a Kodak Moment photo-op site -- turn around, shooot the other way
* Only shoot reflexions -- mirrors, still water, chrome bumpers, etc
* Only shoot your shadow, or your feet, or your nostrils
* Only shoot at a fixed-focus distance, say 1m or less
* Only shoot B&W with a half-green filter on your lens
* And of course: Only shoot when your battery is dead

Other tricks: Wear an eyepatch, or a blindfold. You'll be amazed by your blind images. Use an angled eyepiece or lens periscope attachment that make images move opposite to your vision. Wear a mask, or prism spectacles. Et cetera.
02-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Wear an eyepatch
Maybe it's just me but I frequently shut one eye when studying a scene looking for the magic bits. I've considered getting an eye patch.

02-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by riff:
. . . shut one eye when studying a scene looking for the magic bits.
Yep, that an' squinting til the scene goes sort'a monochrome.

Actually there's reason behind those tricks -- both the loss of 3-D and monochrome scenes make us aware of other characteristics we normally overlook.

I find it a lot easier to "see" the fore- and background effects with one eye closed and to estimate the DR spread in B&W.

H2