Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

PK-Tether 0.6.4 update available

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

http://www.pktether.com/download/PK_Tether_0_6_4.zip Works on K5.

RON C

02-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
crashes tethered to a K-7 (see other post)
02-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Please report what happens to Tomasz at tkos@pentax dot org dot pl
02-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

did that before I posted here

02-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Problems with triggering bulb exposure with K10D. Shutter is released immediately unless period is set and then it only starts working on the second cycle. Email sent to developer.
02-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is there a way to get PK thether onto the computor wirelessly? Bluetooth or similar. I have a set up where I photograph the bird feeder with wireless trigger and wireless flash, it would be great to be able to see the results without disturbing the birds!

Tuggie76
02-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
JVi

Works on my Kx (firmware 1.02) with Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit OS.

02-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
Is there a way to get PK thether onto the computor wirelessly? Bluetooth or similar. I have a set up where I photograph the bird feeder with wireless trigger and wireless flash, it would be great to be able to see the results without disturbing the birds!
Tuggie76
The answer at the moment is no, but what you could do is run a 'Eye-Fi' SD card (Eye-Fi memory cards: wireless photo and video uploads from your camera to your computer & the web. | Eye-Fi). Which gives you wireless access to your images wirelesslly. You can't control the camera with this SD card, but you are alread doing it with a trigger, it just gives you direct access to the SD card.
02-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote

Tuggie76
There is something like wireless USB but it never caught on but that might work.
02-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
There is something like wireless USB but it never caught on but that might work.
I don't think this would work. In my understanding of USB peripherals is that it is powered by the computer/laptop (5v). The camera does not provide controlling power to the port it is received from the computer/laptop (you can judge that by the size of the plug)
02-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdparker Quote
The answer at the moment is no, but what you could do is run a 'Eye-Fi' SD card (Eye-Fi memory cards: wireless photo and video uploads from your camera to your computer & the web. | Eye-Fi). Which gives you wireless access to your images wirelesslly. You can't control the camera with this SD card, but you are alread doing it with a trigger, it just gives you direct access to the SD card.
Thanks BD, I'll look into that.

Tuggie76
02-19-2012, 02:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdparker Quote
I don't think this would work. In my understanding of USB peripherals is that it is powered by the computer/laptop (5v). The camera does not provide controlling power to the port it is received from the computer/laptop (you can judge that by the size of the plug)
They have batteries. It would be a cool experiment. You hook the camera cable into a battery powered wireless dongle, and the other transceiver into a PC...

Edit: This isn't the exact device I saw previously (was a couple years ago, I haven't turned it up yet) but here is something similar. I think it uses an AC adapter rather than batteries though, so its use would be a bit more limited.

Last edited by Philoslothical; 02-19-2012 at 03:00 AM.
02-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I have just tried version 0.6.4 with my K-5 and a Windows7 Starter netbook. No crashes (but see later). It now seems to work much better with Interval and Bulb Shooting. I haven't tried that many combinations of intervals and exposure times yet - but otherwise, I feel tempted to say that it now works great.

Regarding crashes with WIN 7: I discovered the hard way that I couldn't place the program in the program files folder. When I did that, pk_tether crashed whenever I used Autopsave or multiple files saving. Placing the software in my personal user directory solved that problem.

Regarding wireless options: I don't think an 'Eye-Fi' card would work. PK-Tehther requires that there is a card in the camera, but no files are actually witten to the card. The best option for "wireless tether" seems to me to have one PC control another (like my small netbook) connected with the camera. That control could/should be possible via a PC network set up with a normal wireless router. On-line control of one computer by another remote computer is pretty straightforward, so it should be feasible or, have I overlooked something..............?
02-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote

Regarding wireless options: I don't think an 'Eye-Fi' card would work. PK-Tehther requires that there is a card in the camera, but no files are actually witten to the card. The best option for "wireless tether" seems to me to have one PC control another (like my small netbook) connected with the camera. That control could/should be possible via a PC network set up with a normal wireless router. On-line control of one computer by another remote computer is pretty straightforward, so it should be feasible or, have I overlooked something..............?
I agree that it probably wouldn't work with PK tether, but you would be able to view the pictures on your pc with your favourite program, but I'm no expert!

Tuggie76
02-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Regarding crashes with WIN 7: I discovered the hard way that I couldn't place the program in the program files folder. When I did that, pk_tether crashed whenever I used Autopsave or multiple files saving. Placing the software in my personal user directory solved that problem.
It dosen't matter where i put it it's the same crash on several window 7 laptop