Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2006, 02:24 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K10D internal flash not working

Just opened my Christmas present, a brand new K10D and after fully charging the battery and doing the initial set up, I'm having difficulties.

The camera works except when I try to use the built-in flash. I can't get the internal flash to work. When I pop up the flash, as indicated with the flashing icon to do so, the result is I can't take a picture. The shutter release doesn't function beyond focusing. I wait for the flash to charge but nothing happens.
I've read and re-read the manual but can't figure it out.

I have the camera in Green Mode, kit lens attached, language and time set up.
I turn the camera on and get the flash icon flashing so I pop up the flash. Flash icon disappears. I press the shutter release button and the camera beeps with autofocus confirmation. The flash icon still has not reappeared (flashing or not). I try to complete the release of the shutter by pressing down all the way - nothing happens.

I'm hoping it's something totally ridiculous that I'll be embarassed about. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

12-25-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That puzzling.

In green mode the flash will only fire when needed, but you should be able to take a picture as soon as the flash is charged and the subject is in focus.

Ole
12-25-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes, that's what I would expect to happen. However, the flash doesn't charge and never allows me to complete the shutter release when the flash is popped up...

As a follow up, I can't get the flash to work in any mode. It doesn't seem to be charging.

Last edited by wrandyh; 12-25-2006 at 03:47 PM.
12-25-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like a defect.

12-25-2006, 06:05 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm hoping it's not a defective unit. I am going to call pentaximaging customer service tomorrow when they open and have them run me though their checks. But I'm afraid you might be correct, Clarence.

In the meanwhile if anyone has any ideas of what might be making this happen, I'm all ears. . .
12-25-2006, 08:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Internal Flash - Known Problem

There have been threads on all of the Pentax forum sites about this issue. My first K10D body had the same problem . . . bottom-line . . . internal flash up, camera is inoperative.
Generally seemed to be bodies in the serial number series 221x . . . my dealer replaced the body.
Good luck . . .
12-25-2006, 08:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

A common reported problem of some K10D units, see:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Report of Burnt K10D RTF (Built-in Flash) Continues

Replace your (defective) unit as soon as possible.

QuoteOriginally posted by wrandyh Quote
Just opened my Christmas present, a brand new K10D and after fully charging the battery and doing the initial set up, I'm having difficulties.

The camera works except when I try to use the built-in flash. I can't get the internal flash to work. When I pop up the flash, as indicated with the flashing icon to do so, the result is I can't take a picture. The shutter release doesn't function beyond focusing. I wait for the flash to charge but nothing happens.
I've read and re-read the manual but can't figure it out.

I have the camera in Green Mode, kit lens attached, language and time set up.
I turn the camera on and get the flash icon flashing so I pop up the flash. Flash icon disappears. I press the shutter release button and the camera beeps with autofocus confirmation. The flash icon still has not reappeared (flashing or not). I try to complete the release of the shutter by pressing down all the way - nothing happens.

I'm hoping it's something totally ridiculous that I'll be embarassed about. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
12-25-2006, 09:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

RE: K10D internal flash not working

We already had that problem at DPreview. The bottom line: flash recharge circuitry malfunction (most likely capacitor dead) so charging flash is not possible but camera waits forever for that to happen, and that is the root of the problem.

To confirm this: change menu option in the custom menu "Release when charging" (or something like that) to "Yes" (or whatever the setting is) and camera should work, taking picture even if flash is not ready.

The only way to correct this is to replace the camera.

12-26-2006, 01:01 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, esp RiceHigh for the link. Contacted PentaxImaging and sent camera back in today.
Reason I went this route is I bought the K10D online from FotoConnection before I found out how bad they were (service wise). They were the only ones that had stock on the camera and sent it out right away. After reading what I have about them, I decided not to risk working with them directly and instead will deal direct with the Pentax Service Center in Colorado.
What a bummer though.

Thanks again,
12-26-2006, 02:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

wrandyh, what's your camera serial number?
12-26-2006, 07:50 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The serial number is in the 224xxx series, not the 221xxx series mentioned in most posts.
12-27-2006, 07:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wrandyh Quote
Thanks everyone, esp RiceHigh for the link. Contacted PentaxImaging and sent camera back in today.
Reason I went this route is I bought the K10D online from FotoConnection before I found out how bad they were (service wise). They were the only ones that had stock on the camera and sent it out right away. After reading what I have about them, I decided not to risk working with them directly and instead will deal direct with the Pentax Service Center in Colorado.
What a bummer though.

Thanks again,
what a bummer is right!
This is the reason I don't buy online, only in a retail store. I feel that people might save some money online, but if something goes wrong and you have to pay shipping to get it repaired, then IMHO you end up paying more in the end.
Just an opinion,

randy
12-27-2006, 08:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

yes online buying does have its disadvantages.. i live in the UK unbeknown to me my camera ended up coming from france complete with foreign language user manual.. he he he

uk dudes beware of pixmania..

i have been lucky my son as had three replacement cameras from a local store.. but the local stores are rapdily disappearing so for lots of things i buy it has to be online.. like it or not..

okay he has been unlucky from a duff camera point of view but lucky he bought from a local store..

trog
12-30-2006, 11:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

another bad flash

I don't usually use flash but my wife wanted some pics of the christmas decorations and I heard a POP and the flash died,I have a sn 221xxxx and i'm really bummed It also took out some of my mode functions when set on AF.s something must have gotten a surge.I guess i'll wait till jan 2 untill I can talk to pentax service. I hope it will be fixed or replaced soon because I was really enjoying getting back into photography after a long hiatus.I just won a new lens on ebay too! I guess i'll have to break out the trusty k1000
12-30-2006, 02:20 PM   #15

also happens with the euarlier Ds...

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
I don't usually use flash but my wife wanted some pics of the christmas decorations and I heard a POP and the flash died,I have a sn 221xxxx and i'm really bummed It also took out some of my mode functions when set on AF.s something must have gotten a surge.I guess i'll wait till jan 2 untill I can talk to pentax service. I hope it will be fixed or replaced soon because I was really enjoying getting back into photography after a long hiatus.I just won a new lens on ebay too! I guess i'll have to break out the trusty k1000
my DS-flash died after appr. 1 year. there was a popping sound and the flash went dead. everything else worked fine though. i had to send it in to pentax europe and they repaired the camera (no replacement). as special service they cleaned the camera inside (sensor) and outside and replaced the rubber on the grip on the right-hand side and they also did the SDHC firmware update. i had it back in my hands exactly after a total of 8,5 days (from mailing it off at the local post office until an office clerk brought it back into my office).