Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2008, 12:57 AM   #1

viewfinder issue

my viewfinder (k10d) doesn't show the actual image dimensions (the composition) i capture. can i adjust something to correct the problem? thanks

01-04-2008, 01:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's the way it (and most other cameras) are designed. From page 14 of your manual:

Features a viewfinder similar to that of a conventional 35mm camera with a 0.95 magnification and 95% field of view....
01-04-2008, 01:05 AM   #3
jag

Original Poster
okies, thanks
01-04-2008, 03:46 AM   #4

Actually, there are some camera's with 100% coverage. I thought the Canon 1D series had this, and also the Nikon DX series... Correct me if I'm wrong tho. However, you pay more :-)

01-04-2008, 04:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
That's the way it (and most other cameras) are designed. From page 14 of your manual:

Features a viewfinder similar to that of a conventional 35mm camera with a 0.95 magnification and 95% field of view....
You know, this has always irked me a bit. I mean, the whole point of a SLR is to see exactly what you are shooting.
01-04-2008, 05:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't mind the 3-5% of view limitation, but I do notice that when I level my shot using the viewfinder, it ALWAYS turns out being slightly crooked (higher on one side than the other).

Why would this be? Is the viewfinder not level??

01-04-2008, 05:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
You know, this has always irked me a bit. I mean, the whole point of a SLR is to see exactly what you are shooting.
There may be a bit of historical precedent here. Back in the day when we shot analog the negative carrier or slide carrier would always cover up a bit of the frame. It is said the 35mm mfgs designed in a 95% coverage to compensate.

My point of view is that if you have all of your important scene elements visible in the viewfinder you are guaranteed that they will be included in the image. IMHO this is a good thing.
01-04-2008, 06:00 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I don't mind the 3-5% of view limitation, but I do notice that when I level my shot using the viewfinder, it ALWAYS turns out being slightly crooked (higher on one side than the other).

I had this happen with my new K10D. I wriggled the focus screen a bit (be careful) and it's now within .3 degrees. Good enough for me. Be sure to check it while the camera is mounted on a solid tripod and use a delayed shutter. When you are hand holding a camera it is very common to rotate the camera as you press the shutter.

Last edited by Rickster; 01-04-2008 at 08:29 AM.
01-04-2008, 06:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

That's apparently a problem in some K10Ds. Mine is slightly off, but not nearly that bad. Do you get the same results using the edge of the frame as a guide as you get with the viewfinder lines? There were some suggestions earlier for some simple tests you could do to measure the exact amount. If you're really off by 5%, I'd send it back to Pentax for repair.
01-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Here is an example...took this one yesterday...leveled with viewfinder lines but came out (typically) a little unlevel. The one is original, the other is as I leveled it on Picassa. What do you think?

Last edited by Jasvox; 01-20-2008 at 11:28 AM.
01-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here is an example...took this one yesterday...leveled with viewfinder lines but came out (typically) a little unlevel. The one is original, the other is as I leveled it on Picassa. What do you think?
I think you aren't alone, I think a lot of K10D cameras suffer this problem and I think that not all photographers are sensitive to it.

Of those K10D owners that know their camera has a problem some find it an extreme irritant and some consider it no problem at all.

Some Pentax service agents will acknowledge the problem, others will not, but there is no doubt that Pentax Japan knows about it. If it irritates you then you might try returning the camera for exchange.

My K10D has this problem and it's been unsuccessfully repaired at Pentax Japan. Out of frustration last year I compiled a summary of posts from various forums outlining this problem, you can read the responses here:

Pentax K10D Finder Tilt Summary

Last edited by distudio; 01-04-2008 at 07:17 PM.
01-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #12
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
everyone new who are discovering a lean, please do an advanced search of the board for "leaning viewfinder" in the title. A few marathon threads already exist on it, best one with that exact title. Sadly a common ailment of K10Ds; Pentax will correct it under warranty.
01-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If you want 100% coverage, stick with a rangefinder. Then you can see everything outside the frame, too. A nice M8 setup is only, what, 10 grand?
01-04-2008, 11:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I bought my K10D from BeachCamera when I was visiting the USA in 2007...I wonder if there is an authorized warranty service center here in Athens or how much it will cost to ship it? Bummer.
01-05-2008, 02:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Focusing Screen & Frame?

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
I think you aren't alone, I think a lot of K10D cameras suffer this problem and I think that not all photographers are sensitive to it. Of those K10D owners that know their camera has a problem some find it an extreme irritant and some consider it no problem at all.

Some Pentax service agents will acknowledge the problem, others will not, but there is no doubt that Pentax Japan knows about it. If it irritates you then you might try returning the camera for exchange.

My K10D has this problem and it's been unsuccessfully repaired at Pentax Japan. Out of frustration last year I compiled a summary of posts from various forums outlining this problem, you can read the responses here: (snip)

Are you certain the problem is actually a misaligned viewfinder and not simply a misaligned focusing screen? The focusing screen, not the viewfinder, contains the lines seen through the eyepiece of the camera. The interchangeable focusing screen in the K10D sits loosely in a metal frame while being installed. If not prefectly aligned in that frame, the screen could, at least theoretically, remain in that misaligned state after being secured into position. This, of course, would mean any images using that focusing screen lines as a guide would be misaligned as well.

I believe the metal frame holding that focusing screen provides the edge borders seen in the eyepiece. If slightly out of alignment while being locked into postion, that metal frame could, again theoretically, provide misaligned borders. This would have a similar effect on any images using that misaligned border as a guide.

To discover if either of these are the cause, try repositioning the focusing screen and relocking the metal frame to see if better alignment can be obtained. Of course, be extremely careful not to scratch the very fragile screen or mirror while attempting this procedure.

stewart