Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I am afraid it will be a futile exercise because all the plastic threads are stripped clean. Even if you managed to stick the mount back on, it won't be able to bear any weight. The only fix will be to replace the mirror box assemble which all other parts are attached to. It will be very costly because everything has to be rebuilt and re-calibrated from scratch. Also, a camera suffered from such impact is probably out of alignment too. It could be the prism, mirror or AF sensor. Personally I feel it's best to be stripped for parts.
I was afraid that they would be stripped clean, but I put in the screws that I took from the K1000 and they went in nice and tight... Put the old K1000 mount on as well and despite not being able to screw in two because of the contacts that were sticking out, it held on to the heavy Penatx-A 70-210 f/4 without problem.

02-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdparker Quote
Go Check out www.keh.com they have a lot of old Pentax autofocus bodies for under $50

as to the screw hole, you could use 'lochtite' glue on the screw when you attach it (i've never tried it on a camera but have on machines)
Thanks for the site, I went ahead and ordered two bodies- one of the ZXs and one of the SFs, paid under $10 each and picked up some other small goodies while I was at it...

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
I am pretty sure that I have an old broken PZ1 or something laying around. Good source for a mount.
As for repairing the screw holes, there are many different types of glue available now. Go to a hobby shop - a good hobby shop - not Hobby Lobby. Find one that services the model railroader and has a good stock of plastic shapes and types. Take the camera and screws, get the sales person to help with the proper glue and plastic rods and even the proper size drill bits. You can drill the holes out in the camera and then glue in ABS plastic rods cut to the right length (the hobby shop can sell you a razor saw, if needed), then drill the rods to the correct size for the screws. Use a pin vice to drill the holes (the hobby shop will have a pin vice). Best that I can think of this late at night.
This all might be for naught. As mentioned above, things could be out of alinement. But...if I had this camera, I would try a repair, knowing not to get mad if things didn't go perfect.
Thanks, we'll see what happens.

QuoteOriginally posted by average-guy Quote
Is it possible that the registration distance (distance from mount to sensor/film) is different between the film and digital bodies and instead of changing the lens mount, Pentax just changed the thickness of the mounting flange on the camera side when they went digital? If this is the case, a mount flange from a film body wouldn't work for you. I don't know if this really is the case but it's the first thing that popped into my head when I read the above quote. I thought I'd throw it out there before you put your money down on a parts (film) camera.
Hopefully one of the mounts from the two bodies that I ordered will work, thanks for the help!