Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
Inactive Account

GXR body and sensor mounter

Here are my thoughts on where Ricoh-Pentax COULD go to be truely unique.
Get Pentax to design a few bodies for the GXR,

#1 A smaller body similar to the current GXR with external EVF and tilting LCD (OLED?) maybe splash proof rather than full WR
#2 a medium DSLR style body in the mould of the K5
#3 a larger similar body smaller than a FF but with built in vert grip/GPS wifi and or 3G.

All use Ricoh flash standard- choice of 3 sensors
#1 M Mountor APSC for the adapt-a-lens crowd (full K adaptor supplied maybe?)
#2 K Mounter FF!
#3 645D Medium format (ok far fetched but maybe only fit on the last two bodies.

Goal- to make the most usable bodies possible. Very tough maybe with a much longer standard warrenty.
Basically upgrade to a newer sensor rather than a new camera- initial cost of body and sensor maybe equivilent to competitors but 'upgrade' mounters more cost effective. So almost like a digital back idea but advantage being the mount can be changed aswell bring multiple markets to effectively the same product line.

System Benefits.
Servicability- Imagine a pro has a problem with a sensor module it can be swapped out imeately and they are back and running.
Also encourages other brand users to come across as they may initially use their own glass with the M-module+adaptor and then trade up to pentax full or medium format/sensor and lenses when finances allow. They can even buy a different body to use with the previously bought 'mounter' or as a different form factor with just one sensor (backup body )

Negatives
Where to put SR especially with the FF and Medium Format sensors. Also the bodies have to have a greater processing spec to handle the larger sensors but the performance (eg FPS, transfer speed) could improve the higher you go and video could drop off once you get past FF.

There will still be the K-01, perhaps a larger spec body like the KR but Mirrorless and a top end 645D.

Thoughts? Let your imagination run wild!

Last edited by Tonto; 02-20-2012 at 07:23 PM.
02-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh no, another adept for Pentax CEO. Please get in the line - there is a queue of candidates already, RH is up next.
02-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Haha, no not at all just dreaming....come on where else can we

For the benefit of the above poster I thought I would edit my original post:

"Here are my thoughts on where Ricoh-Pentax COULD go to be truely unique."
02-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm sorry, my previous post was quite offending.
But the idea are not realistic neither technically or from business point of view.