Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2008, 11:57 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gary and Will - very well said. You both expressed my thoughts better than I was able to early on this Saturday morning!

I've spent the last several hours calibrating my 5D and playing around with sliders in ACR. I used Lee Varis's method for calibrating specifically for skin tones, which is described in his excellent book "Skin". I also decreased the orange saturation and moved the orange hue a bit towards yellow to remove the magenta/orange cast often present in Canon/ACR files.

I'm quite happy with the results now. It definitely took a lot more work to get there, and I'd be seriously thinking of switching cameras if I every shot JPEG for portraits (which I don't). Here are some examples of very different skin tones shot in very different lighting conditions:

Warm, tungsten light. Her skin is quite tan with a lot of yellow.

Cold, overcast window light. Picking a winner!

Cold, overcast window light. Yes, her skin is that pale (as you might have guessed from her hair color)

Now that I've worked out the color issue (for me, anyways - YMMV) I don't see any reason to switch to another system. I will say that it is TERRIBLE with auto-WB in tungsten light - but then many cameras are. I've recently picked up a WhiBal card and I just snap a picture of that at the beginning of each shoot (when I remember, at least).

I've got a 35/2, 85/1.8 & 135/2 which are all fast, compact (except the 135) primes that don't break the bank. This is what I wanted.

Thanks to everyone for their comments, and I sincerely hope you all find something that meets your needs if you haven't already. Perhaps January 24th will bring you something special!

Chris

01-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #32

"Remember a good craftsman never blames his tools."

I just took a friends K10D out along with my MZ-S and for flying birds the AF on the K10D is terrible at best unless they are flying across in front of you. On the other hand the MZ-S is lightning fast, like the 5D almost, so as a craftsman, I got rid of my unsatisfactory tool and am waiting for a competent replacement on the 24th.

This is not a Pentax bash, as I love my DS and it is a great camera and other than the lower resolution and slow AF is almost perfect.

My friend with the 5D loves it, but then he has over $5,000 in lenses alone.

Tom
01-05-2008, 02:33 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding on my part as far as the AF speed goes if it is too slow on the primes you mentioned then I suppose you would be right to make a move to another platform that will fill your needs. I am not about brand loyalty but when compairing "tools" I believe in compairing apples to apples. I work with "tools" day in and day out I prefer Snap-On wrenches over Mac for weight feel and balance (same price range) but I would not give you .02 cents for a Snap-On ratchet and have the scars to answer why. I'm happy for you if your 5d with the adjustments make you happy but they are still worlds apart in target markets.
01-06-2008, 12:13 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
Several other people in this very thread have expressed similar likes & dislikes of the K10D, and similar curiosities about other cameras including the 5D. Those people have found it helpful to hear from someone who has tried the 5D & K10D, since they are considering or have considered making the switch.

I'm glad you're very clear on where you stand. Others, including myself, aren't so clear. I don't agree with your comments about the 5D, but then, I don't have to. It takes a lot of people to make up a world and I have absolutely no interest in convincing anyone of anything here. And as I said, I got my 5D for $1300 so it wasn't 4x the price of a K10D.

If I was a Canon/5D fanboy, would I be here saying that I miss the colors and tonality of the K10D? I've enjoyed the participation on this forum (well, for the most part) and I find this as good a place as any to ask questions/ruminate on my dilemma between Pentax and Canon.

What else are these forums for? Is there no room for anyone who has an opinion/experience that is different from yours? Is there a rule that no other cameras aside from Pentax can be discussed here? Did I miss something?

Sorry, but even you knew (when you said "this isn't a troll or a "Go Canon" post at all") that your message sounded very much like someone trying to hard sell the Canon. Your message described where you feel the Canon is better (the K10D worse) and a few things you once liked about the K10D, but very little about where your Canon might actually be worse. Your message did say you preferred the K10D's "natural rendering of skin tones," but later added that you're still trying to "work out the skin tones issue." Hardly a blanket condemnation of the your Canon, especialy since still later, in message #31 above, after fiddling with more settings, you said "I'm quite happy with the results now."

So once again, in the interests of at least some balance here, where is even one one area where the Canon might actually be worse than the K10D. You can't think of even one to partially offset the list of negative things you had to say about the K10D? I certainly can, because price alone once again immediately springs to mind. And, yes, I know what you paid, but that isn't the normal selling price others here might pay.

Finally, you asked "What else are these forums for? Is there no room for anyone who has an opinion/experience that is different from yours?" The answer it obvious, but I will answer nonetheless. Of course there is room for that. Now, having said that, I would ask you those very same questions about my comments.

And to Will, GaryML, and anyone else with similar objections, I will let this message stand as an answer to you as well and will leave it (and this discussion) at that.

stewart

01-06-2008, 02:13 AM   #35
PDL
Pentaxian

How about weather sealing? $1300 and you have to run in out of the rain? (or spend $200 on a camera raincoat)

Well I have my weather sealing, plus I don't have to run around and calebrate skin tones. I bet you kept Af connected to the shutter button too. Not a troll - yeah right.

Shot #3 needs white balance help - unless she really has blue skin.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
01-06-2008, 02:51 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Looking at the 3 pictures posted, aside from the image tone, in terms of DOF, they could just as easily been achieved by any APS-C DSLR with the right lens.