Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Is moving from a kx to a k7 an upgrade

I currently have a kx and have the chance to change to a k7 I am very much an amateur but I tend to take quite a lot of photo's around boats and water and thought the WR might be to my advantage is it really worth spending the money

02-21-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The IQ is arguably not as good- but apart from that, it's an upgrade in just about every aspect.

If you want to take a bigger step up, the K-5 would be a better choice, as it's got even better IQ and improved AF performance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-21-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

As Adam said, the K-7 has some IQ issues. Well, mainly noise issues especially from 800 ISO onward. (I start noticing from about 500-600 ISO but noise reduction preserves enough detail in this range)
In other respects though it has weather sealing and higher continuous shooting speed and quite a number of other improvements over the K-x.
I have the K-7 but would much rather the K-5. I would have upgraded if it wasn't for the high likely hood of a replacement for the K-5 due in the near future, so i will sit tight and see what the replacement has to offer before pulling the trigger on a K-5.
02-21-2012, 01:18 AM   #4

Original Poster
Must admit I would love the K5 but its out of my price range at present may be in the next year or two. As most of my photography is outdoors I seldom go above 800 ISO
so it should be OK.

02-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I haven't got a K7, only the K-x, but if WR is a great concern, have you considered other, cheaper, options available like these mentioned here Rain Covers - Bags - wex photographic. That might give you a chance to save for a nice K-5?
02-21-2012, 01:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I suggest that unless its a necessity right now, then you would be best to wait until you can either A) afford the K-5 new, B) Buy second hand K-5 now or C) start saving everything you can and get the k-5 replacement when it comes
Investing in the k-7 is a bit of a waste as there is not a huge gain for the outlay of money. And the K-7 will be 3 generations old in the coming months.
02-21-2012, 02:12 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first DSLR was brand new KX and I loved it, upgraded kit lenses to Sigma 17-70 2.8 MACRO + few old manual primes.
....then came used K7 and I was amazed, the build, ergonomics, functionality all excellent.
I still keep KX with Sigma 17-70 for its compactness and AA ( ~ 900 photos ) and low light ( high ISO) performance.
So I probably would recommend K7 ( they represent extremely good value for money right now) and use it as a rehearsal for maybe one-day future K5 ( same body,battery, controls etc).
I also purchased a D-BG4 grip ( so can use AA batteries) , that also will work with K5.
Honestly, K7=95% KX=05% of my photographic time, K7 is so much more enjoyable to use but the same time it also is much more sophisticated, you will need to allow some time to learn new controls and options.
K7 also has much better , brighter viewfinder, much easer to use with my old MF K mount lenses.

02-21-2012, 02:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't know, provided the OP will sell the K-x then, the price difference and investment could be as little as 150$. That seems being worth the upgrade.
02-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The IQ is arguably not as good- but apart from that, it's an upgrade in just about every aspect.
The finished image is what counts to me, so as far as I'm concerned, if the quality of the image isn't as good, it's not an upgrade.
02-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by telegazz Quote
I currently have a kx and have the chance to change to a k7 I am very much an amateur but I tend to take quite a lot of photo's around boats and water and thought the WR might be to my advantage is it really worth spending the money
Both vehicles will take you where you want to go; it just depends on what kind of driver you are, really.

You admit that you are an amateur; why spend money needlessly until you know better your limitations, desires and experience. Stick with what you have until you fully understand what and why an "upgrade" may be needed.
02-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess the question is what you shoot and whether the improved build, more buttons is more important to you than shooting over iso 1600. I feel like image quality is pretty much a wash below iso 800 and K7 loses quite a bit over iso 1600 (I would go to iso 3200 in a pinch). At the same time, I much preferred the K7's qualities to the kx, even the kx's sensor does outperform the K7 in several respects.

I have seen the used K7s going for 450 to 500 dollars, so it wouldn't necessarily be a huge out lay of money to move to one, while used K5s still seem to be in the 800 dollar range.
02-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Upgrade? Downgrade? If Pentax rebuilt the K-x with magnesium alloy body and shuffled all the buttons and dials for $300 extra but otherwise identical, would it be considered an upgrade?
02-22-2012, 01:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a kx, k-7 and k-5 right now and I think if I had to choose which to keep as a backup, it'd have to be the k-7. Even when I didn't have the k-5, if I was shooting indoors with pretty crappy light, I'd still use the k-7 90% of the time because of the focus points, quieter shutter and better ergonomics. Yes the k-x was better at higher ISO, but I just found the k-7 a better crafted tool that didn't make a racket when I shot (which I think allows guests to relax more and not be as aware of a camera being pointed at them). Plus weather sealing made it the only choice when hiking or going on the road when who knows what weather would bring. And if you shoot raw, the difference is reduced somewhat where the k-7 would be usable.
02-22-2012, 04:27 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Upgrade? Downgrade? If Pentax rebuilt the K-x with magnesium alloy body and shuffled all the buttons and dials for $300 extra but otherwise identical, would it be considered an upgrade?
For me? Yes. The K7 body is very nice, quieter shutter, actually has auto focus points in the viewfinder, TAv mode, better ergonomics for longer shooting, weather sealing, and a pentaprism. When you consider that a used one will only run around 500 dollars right now (maybe just a little less), it is a deal for those who can't afford a K5.

Understand as well, that the sensor in the K7 isn't terrible either. High iso score is 540-ish per dxo mark, while kx is in the 830-ish range. That's about a half stop different. Can you see the difference? Sure, but it isn't as huge as some people make it out to be. Dynamic range at low iso is the biggest difference and is a couple of stops...
02-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by telegazz Quote
Must admit I would love the K5 but its out of my price range at present may be in the next year or two. As most of my photography is outdoors I seldom go above 800 ISO
so it should be OK.
In which case the k-7 would be a good upgrade.