Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Legacy lenses and K10D K100D

Hi, I relatively new here. I too am about to make a purchase of a K10D or K100D. I too am experiencing the "drama" associated with this purchase.

I own and use digital cameras to good effect. None are serious cameras really, though I have taken some real keepers with them. For serious work I still resort to a variety of 35mm, mostly Pentax, from relatively recent models to an Asahi AP (1957). I have tons of Takumar (and other) lenses spanning the 5 decades.

I am leaning towards the K10D since it's gotta last me for a while. The K100D might not give me the same headroom with which to grow. Price is a consideration, but I find the differences compelling enough to warrant the differential...

My biggest question at this point revolves around use of Legacy lenses. I saw somewhere that the K10D might handle this a little better. Is there really an difference between these bodies in terms of use of manual lenses?

Anything anyone can tell me about manual operation will be very much appreciated, especially in terms of comparisons. I do do some studio photography, and so use of strobes, etc. is relevant material here as well, given that I will need to do manual exposure control...

Outside of that, what is the best M42 adapter for these cameras?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

woof

01-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Hi, I relatively new here. I too am about to make a purchase of a K10D or K100D. I too am experiencing the "drama" associated with this purchase.

I own and use digital cameras to good effect. None are serious cameras really, though I have taken some real keepers with them. For serious work I still resort to a variety of 35mm, mostly Pentax, from relatively recent models to an Asahi AP (1957). I have tons of Takumar (and other) lenses spanning the 5 decades.

I am leaning towards the K10D since it's gotta last me for a while. The K100D might not give me the same headroom with which to grow. Price is a consideration, but I find the differences compelling enough to warrant the differential...

My biggest question at this point revolves around use of Legacy lenses. I saw somewhere that the K10D might handle this a little better. Is there really an difference between these bodies in terms of use of manual lenses?

Anything anyone can tell me about manual operation will be very much appreciated, especially in terms of comparisons. I do do some studio photography, and so use of strobes, etc. is relevant material here as well, given that I will need to do manual exposure control...

Outside of that, what is the best M42 adapter for these cameras?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

woof
I would not use any adapter other than the Pentax version. I have seen too many comments on slight troubles with other adapters. Although some may work as well, the amount of money involved is so insignificant I would not bother with 3rd party products.

I don't have any screw mount lenses, but I can say that I am not having difficulties with my M lenses on the K10D. It would be nice to have aperture priority available, but I can live with manual exposure.
01-04-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Pentax is great because you can use any lens they've ever made. In my opinion, screwmount lenses are far more convenient than K and M series lenses, because you can just use Av and shoot away (although you may have to adjust the EV a stop or two), rather than having to use M mode. Of course, that is really not a big deal either.

Check the Knowledge Base on this forum for some threads on the basic procedure for using manual lenses on a dslr.

I would second the recommendation to use a genuine Pentax adapter. I found a brand new one on eBay for about $40. Not sure if the seller still has any. Beware the cheap ones with a wide flange, because you can't focus to infinity with them.
01-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Some Takumar images on the K100D

01-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #5

The M42 adapter by Roxen allows infinity and works just fine. It is an exact duplicate of the original Pentax one and even comes with the tool as well. It can be had for less then $25 shipped. I use tghis exact adapter on my K10D with no problems.
02-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
screwmount lenses are far more convenient than K and M series lenses, because you can just use Av and shoot away (although you may have to adjust the EV a stop or two)...
I've notice that also. In fact, two stops seems normal, but why should that be? Thanks!
02-17-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although my time with cameras is only 1/2 yours (at least in terms of age of cameras) one thing I have noticed, owning both the K10D and *istD, is that the K10D is not as good with respect to metering, using manual apature lenses. I have a good collection of manual apature lenses (all K mount) mostly fast lenses, My *istD is rapidly becoming the manual lens body.

I have done a lot of tests and have found that the exposure seems to be only accurate at about F2.8, at F1.4 the camera tends toi under expose by about 1 stop, and by F5.6 it is about 1 1/2 stops over exposing, this happens even with new lenses when taken out of AE mode.. My *istD is spot on with manual apature lenses.

Also, and thi smay impact you a little, is that flash photography is not very good on any of the K series DSLRs with manual lenses. The *istD, and DS have TTL flash, but the other bodies have P-TTL which needs to know apature setting of the lenses.

I don't know about the K100, and K100Super

You should consider at this point the K100Super or K10D only because of the ability to use HSM lenses in the future.

I would suggest before you decide, that you try the metering out on the K100Super, or perhaps someone can comment as to accuracy with legacy lenses.

The only good thing with the digital cameras is that you can check the histogram for exposure accuracy very quickly and then adjust as you need.

Additionally, I prefer the K10D because it has a fool proof White balance adjustment.

You take a shot, press the Fn Button, select WB and then watch interactively as the last image you snapped changes as you adjust WB., While it does not impact the last shot taken, it insures every shot after is spot on.

Also, the K10D has less "automatic modes" It has the basics, Shutter priority, Apature priority, sensitivity priority, manual and full program. That's plenty if you know how to use a spotmatic, you will live in manual any way.