Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
istDL sensor failures

I noticed a couple threads here where people have reported sensor failures in their istDL. My DL also has had a sensor failure recently, with only 3180 activations! How many activations are istDL owners getting with their cameras? I hope mine, and the few others here, are random failures.

02-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With all these DL sensor failures being posted, I'm afraid to go try mine. Is there a DL disease going around?
02-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
GP, I guess that is what I'm trying to find out. Hopefully, there are a majority of ist owners getting tens of thousands of activations without a problem. My wife has and istDL about the same age and similar activations. So far it is working just fine.
02-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope not but then again???
Mine had a sensor burrp last week. for a few minutes. It seems fine now.
I changed to a longer manual lens for a few shots. When I went back to my F lens the sensor stopped working for about 5 or 6 shots . Everything worked but no photo. I said something like crap now I have to upgrade. I guess it heard me , because it started working, and It hasn't missed a beat since
Mine only has around 14000 actuation
The next day I was shooting some wild life. I was shooting fast. I found that this little camera can shoot almost as fast as I can trip the shutter. It seems like it was just a one time thing ( fingers crossed)

Last edited by patrick9; 02-21-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Added second paragraph
03-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #5

I have about 13k actuations on mine. The problem I have is the LCD display on the top of the camera no longer works. Have a big black blotch in the middle of the LCD display. Not sure if worth fixing. Camera still works.

Been looking at K10 and K20 on ebay as a replacement. In the mean time have been borrowing a Nikon D80 and D300 and am really liking those. They are much better in fast action shots.
03-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
Forum Member

I was one of the ones with a sensor failure and my personal opinion is that it is not so much how many shutter clicks, but a combination of age and use. I had not used my camera for a couple of months. It worked perfectly fine the last time I used it, but when I went to do some test shots in a light tent, all I got was black images. I purchased this DL from the forum marketplace, and it served me well while I used it. All electrical components will have a finite lifespan, and in some instances that time period can be severly affected by outside influences such as temp, humidity, battery leakage, etc. I had a 42 inch LCD TV go out at 4.5 years and investigation proved it was bad capacitors on the power supply board/ Further investigation revealed that there were some "bad" capacitors on the market several years ago, and when I checked mine, they fit the description of the defective units. I would not be too surprised to find the same issue in these older cameras.