Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Popup flash.

Hi:

I have only used flashes on point and shoot cameras (which seem to work okay even on a cheap camera), and I have never really thought about how they work before. I have tried to use the pop-up flash on my K100D in various auto modes with no success (especially in Night Portrait Mode, which I was excited to try). The picture is always overexposed. I always shoot with manual focus which I am guessing denies the camera information it needs on the distance to the subject to set the exposure correctly. Is this the problem?

Now to just take a flash picture, I set the camera to Av with the flash up (and a 1/180 sec shutter speed). Then I change the aperture until the exposure is good (although the subject has sometimes walked off).

All I can come up with for a night portrait shot is to use the above method to get the right aperture value, then switch the camera to M at that aperture and find the right shutter speed to expose the background.

This method seems really slow. Is there a less cumbersome way to use a flash with a manual focus lens?

Thanks

01-04-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Couple of things to try, there is a setting to link your focusing point with your exposure point, so it tries to expose based on the area you are focusing, this might help. Also what part is getting overexposed? The foreground, or the subject itself? If the foreground is getting overexposed and the subject is too dark, maybe they are too far away for your flash. The other thing to try is to underexpose your shot, if you click on the av button, looks like a -/+ button, then roll your wheel you can force the camera to underexpose up to two stops. Try these and see if that helps.
01-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #3

Underexposing the ambient [ non-flash ] light is a good idea when using flash as it'll add a mood to you sure. With your overexposing problem cant really help. Just remember that the flash exposure is ONLY determined by aperture and ISO, shutterspeed doesnt affect the flash exposure. The shutter speed determines the ambient level at the aperture and ISO used.
Also although Ive never used the popup flash much, if at all, try this out. Sadly I dont think it can be done as easily with the K100D as I dont think theres any metal hinges, but with my DL Id cut the business card in such a way that there is a tab about as wide as your hotshoe, 2cm or so extented, probablymore, from the rest of the card, and slide that into the hotshoe from the front. Its quite a tight fit but be patient and it'll get in, then you can slide the hotshoe protector thing onto the hotshoe to secure it even more. Then just bend the business card up until it stays curled up. and your done!

Thanks