Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
Inactive Account

DA lenses on full frame sensor

Hi all,

I read somewhere that e.g. the DA 16-45 is not really useable on an analog SLR (with 35 mm film) when going to the wide range of the lens.
Is this true ?
And if this is true, does this mean I will have to buy new lenses if Pentax ever releases a DSLR with a full frame sensor (also 35mm) ?

How about the DA* 16-50 lens ? Has anyone tried it on an analog SLR ?

Thanks,

Z.

01-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZigDaPig Quote
Hi all,

I read somewhere that e.g. the DA 16-45 is not really useable on an analog SLR (with 35 mm film) when going to the wide range of the lens.
Is this true ?
Well it's usable on bodies with aperture control from the body but it vignettes pretty badly at the wide end from about 24mm and the corners are nothing special across the usable zoom range.

And if this is true, does this mean I will have to buy new lenses if Pentax ever releases a DSLR with a full frame sensor (also 35mm) ?
Assuming you have no FF WA lenses probably (assuming that they ever produce a body with 24x36mm sensor).

I assume it would work similarly to the DA 16-45 but I've not heard any user reports and it's not a lens that I own.
01-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #3

No lenses without aperture rings will work on film cameras properly since the electronics to control the aperture is not available on any Pentax film camera other than the last one they made.

Tom
01-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
No lenses without aperture rings will work on film cameras properly since the electronics to control the aperture is not available on any Pentax film camera other than the last one they made.
A read of the following page will reveal otherwise, just substitute SMC-FAJ for SMC-DA :

Summary of the K-Mount Evolution, Names, and Features

01-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Rob and Tom, exactly what I needed to know...
01-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use my DA 16-45 with great results on a zx10. I even like the vignetting, which starts around 22mm. Definitely makes spectacular images on film.

It's true I can't set aperture via the camera, but I can use Tv and P modes. I can even use the lens on my Program Plus, no problem, as the DA lens simply behaves like an A lens. I owned the lens months before I had a dSLR.

Here's some samples from the first roll I took with the lens:
My new Pentax lens on a 35mm camera! Photo Gallery by jussi at pbase.com

Also, the DA 70 works fine with film bodies also, and does not vignette.
01-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote

Tom
Tom

I have a PZ-1 which is essentually a film version of the *istD and K10D. the 18-35 mm lens that came with the *istD origonally (no apature ring, no apature coupling lever) works just fine on the PZ-1, In fact it is also a full frame lens (probably the only one ever offered on the pentax DSLRs) and gave great shots on the PZ-1 at 18mm.

Many of the modern pentax cameras that followed the PZ-1 will use the digital zoom lenses just fine except at widest focal lengths. My sigma 10-20 is ok from about 14mm up

Edit note:

With the exception of the sigma 10-20 above, which is really only for ASP-C sensors only, every other lens I own is full frame, 100% of my lenses work fully on my PZ-1 which is still my film back up but also note that with the exception of auto-focus, every lens I own EXCEPT for the pentax 18-35 also work fully on my KX and Ricoh XR2s.

NIt's not that I am waiting for full frame, since I do a lot of wild life photography, and the ASP-C sensor with its crop factor work in my favor, and the sigma 10-20 is a great ultra wide, it has just worked out that way.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 01-04-2008 at 04:04 PM.
01-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DA* 16-50 vignettes on Film SLRs

Hi all,

Is this true ?

Thanks,

Z.
I just mounted the DA* 16-50 on my MZ-S - well, technically, it's my wife's now - and it vignettes at all focal lengths. The MZ-S also controls the aperture in Program and Shutter priority modes.

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 01-04-2008 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Added test for f/stop control
01-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I just mounted the DA* 16-50 on my MZ-S - well, technically, it's my wife's now - and it vignettes at all focal lengths. The MZ-S also controls the aperture in Program and Shutter priority modes.
You may find that the focusing screen is making the vignetting look somewhat worse than it may be on film though I agree they generally definitely vignette more than the equivalent FF lenses regardless of how useful they may be.
01-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
You may find that the focusing screen is making the vignetting look somewhat worse than it may be on film though I agree they generally definitely vignette more than the equivalent FF lenses regardless of how useful they may be.
This is not minor vignetting - the screen looked like I had a circular fish eye mounted on the camera. I think that it is definitely not compatible - unless you like the circular frame :ugh:
01-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

This is not minor vignetting - the screen looked like I had a circular fish eye mounted on the camera. I think that it is definitely not compatible - unless you like the circular frame :ugh:
Even at 50mm? That's surprising, care to stick some Magic tape across your cameras film guide rails and report on the image that's actually projected onto the focal plane?
01-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
Even at 50mm? That's surprising, care to stick some Magic tape across your cameras film guide rails and report on the image that's actually projected onto the focal plane?
I can do that with the SF-1 over the weekend. I'll see if I can take a picture of the tape with the K10D and M100/4 macro. Talk about a challenging shot ...
01-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I can do that with the SF-1 over the weekend. I'll see if I can take a picture of the tape with the K10D and M100/4 macro. Talk about a challenging shot ...
Cool, it will be interesting. I frosted a piece of glass out of a 35mm slide mount which I just tape across the rails, a bit less hassle than the tape and not too hard to photograph.
01-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #14

Welcome to the club! Looking forward to see your shots with this nice camera!
01-05-2008, 05:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Heh heh, what a digital world we're in... why not put a 24 exposure roll of film through, get the local drug store to develop and put it on cd, and have the results in an hour. nah, too simple