Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Battery questions

1) What's the cheapest place to get genuine Eneloops?
2) What's a good (reasonably priced) fast 8 cell charger that won't burn them out and preferably also work in the car?

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

02-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are asking tough questions, would need to research. I do like the idea of a vehicle charger for 8 Eneloop`s, just have not run across any.
02-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
2) What's a good (reasonably priced) fast 8 cell charger that won't burn them out and preferably also work in the car?
Don't bother... Just buy extra Eneloops (so you don't run out) and use the slow-Sanyo one, you'll get a much better charge
02-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #4

Try this site.

Largest selection of AAA, AA, C, D, 9V nimh Rechargeable Replacement Batteries, Chargers, Sanyo, Eneloop, Maha, Imedion, Powerex

They sometime have some great combo sales.

02-23-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Re: Largest selection of AAA, AA, C, D, 9V nimh Rechargeable Replacement Batteries, Chargers, Sanyo, Eneloop, Maha, Imedion, Powerex

Thanks for the tip! - Bob
02-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter

1)
...preferably also work in the car?

Cheers,
Maybe this or something like it would be useful in case you end up with a charger without 12V option. Small enough to keep in the glove compartment..
80 Watt Continuous Power Inverter
02-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a related question (sorry for somewhat hijacking the thread). I'm using a basic Kodak branded charger for my Eneloops. It doesn't indicate when the batteries are charged, but I usually leave them in there for 2-3 hrs. They are slightly warm after charging, but not hot. Does anyone know the average "correct" charging time on a generic battery charger like the one I'm using?
02-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

1) What's the cheapest place to get genuine Eneloops?

Cheers,
The only charger that I've seen that meets your car requirements is the Duracell CEF-23, now discontinued. It charges each cell independently, but only charges 4. It can still be found on ebay. The CEF-23 package with the car adapter is now very hard to find. I built my own car adapter to plug into the charger. I used an old cigar lighter plug and a connector from Radio Shack (keep the polarity right). All CEF-23 chargers have the plug for 12v input.
Here is one, just to show you what they look like. The prices are going up on these! The word must be getting out as to how good they are. I bought one on ebay for $11.
Brand New Duracell Mobile Charger USB 4 AA Rechargeable | eBay
I found one with the car adapter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Duracell-Mobile-Charger-CEF23DX4N-USB-car-adapter-US...item256ce94574

Last edited by gp1806; 02-23-2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: add link
02-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I have a related question (sorry for somewhat hijacking the thread). I'm using a basic Kodak branded charger for my Eneloops. It doesn't indicate when the batteries are charged, but I usually leave them in there for 2-3 hrs. They are slightly warm after charging, but not hot. Does anyone know the average "correct" charging time on a generic battery charger like the one I'm using?
A lot of generic ones are fast chargers with a 2 hour or less charging time. I have (and still use on occasion) an 8 year old 2x-AA generic wall charger that came with my Fuji finepix. It does have indicator light, though. Iíve timed it before with a set of depleted 2400mAh NiMH and it was almost dead-on 2 hours.