Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K100 or K10

I have had a K100D for almost a year now (have taken 5,000 pictures or so), and am thinking about either buying a 50mm/F1.4 lens and/or a DA* lens, or trading my camera in on a K10. I have read some of the threads on K10/K100 comparisons, and have downloaded the K10 manual and scanned through it.

A few questions follow...

1. How much is the K10 ISO 100 used? I generally find the K100 ISO 3200 very grainy, and have not used it much, so I don't think I would lose much there...
2. Can someone explain the "sensitivity Priority" setting on the K10?
3. Any comments on the K10 battery pack? I have several sets of batteries for the K100, and that has worked out well.
4. Any thoughts regarding range of the K10 flash versus the K100 flash?

Thanks in advance!

01-04-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krs Quote
I have had a K100D for almost a year now (have taken 5,000 pictures or so), and am thinking about either buying a 50mm/F1.4 lens and/or a DA* lens, or trading my camera in on a K10. I have read some of the threads on K10/K100 comparisons, and have downloaded the K10 manual and scanned through it.

A few questions follow...

1. How much is the K10 ISO 100 used? I generally find the K100 ISO 3200 very grainy, and have not used it much, so I don't think I would lose much there...
2. Can someone explain the "sensitivity Priority" setting on the K10?
3. Any comments on the K10 battery pack? I have several sets of batteries for the K100, and that has worked out well.
4. Any thoughts regarding range of the K10 flash versus the K100 flash?

Thanks in advance!
  1. I use 100 ISO quite a bit, but I did purchase the DA* f/2.8 lenses that allow me to do it. I have my USER setting at auto 100-400. I find that in this range, for my uses, there is not problem with the image quality.
  2. SV - set the shutter speed and aperture, and the camera will adjust the ISO to create correct exposure.
  3. I have the grip D-BG2 - and I love it. The camera is much more comfortable in my hands with it. It's nice to have a spare card, a place to store the Remote F and twice the battery life all in one place.
  4. I don't know. Flash range seems ok for a built in, coming from an MZ-S. I don't use flash all that much, but I don't not use it either.
01-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. I am in the "still learning" stage, but have been activley using the Tv and Av settings, night shots with a tripod, very interested in a "fast" lens for inside sporting events, and travel a fair amount (went to Russia a couple months ago, and got some great shooting opportunities). I for the most part do not use the AUTO point and shoot settings.

I can trade my camera in within 12 months of purchase (meaning this March) and get 50% toward a different purchase. I am then puzzling over should I take the opportunity and upgrade to the K10D, or rather spend that money on lens(es). I have tested out the DA* lenses a couple of times as well as the 50mm/F1.4 lens. The 18-250mm lens looks interesting as well, given I find myself changing between lenses a lot...

I cannot say that I have "moved" beyond the K100 capabilities, but thinking forward??? I cannot really justify going to two cameras nor buying the new generation Pentax when it comes out, but a K10 upgrade is certianly doable.

Lens(es) or K10 - a personal choice - but comments are very welcome!
01-05-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I would think some new lenses would open up a whole now set of opportunities for your K100D. Don't get me wrong, I love the K10D, but neither are any good without lenses to put on them.

01-05-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you already have the K100, I would probably hold off on getting another camera until you see what pentax has coming out reportidly on Jan 24th.

I am not sure, since you already have shake reduction, that the extra MP count would be justified.

I have a K10D, but my change from 6-10MP was going from *istD to K10D. I got a lot of performance in terms of continuous shooting , 10MP AND shake reduction all in one go. You are really only going to benefit a little by moving from 6 to 10MP.

If you want to spend money at this point, get lenses, good lenses will always give you something you don't already own
01-05-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
If you already have the K100, I would probably hold off on getting another camera until you see what pentax has coming out reportidly on Jan 24th.

I am not sure, since you already have shake reduction, that the extra MP count would be justified.

I have a K10D, but my change from 6-10MP was going from *istD to K10D. I got a lot of performance in terms of continuous shooting , 10MP AND shake reduction all in one go. You are really only going to benefit a little by moving from 6 to 10MP.

If you want to spend money at this point, get lenses, good lenses will always give you something you don't already own
My choice of the K10D rather than the K100D was based on the controls, not the megapixels. 6.1 Mp is quite useful for amateurs, and one can get decent enlargements from the images. A pro wrote in a recent article that he had magazine covers from a 6 Mp camera. However, the K10D has more of the most used (by me) controls on a simple button and edial that I can operate without taking my eye from the viewfinder.
01-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
SV - set the shutter speed and aperture, and the camera will adjust the ISO to create correct exposure.
That's TAv.

Sv is where you set the ISO and let the camera find an appropriate shutter speed and aperture for exposure.

01-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hard choice. I have both the K10 and K100 and do love having the controls on the body. I use SV quite a bit (the second definition is correct, you set the ISO and the camera sets the aperture and shutter speed). But I tend to use them interchangeably - keeping different types of lenses on them if I have both cameras, or chosing one over the other depending on what I'm doing (the K100 goes hiking and when I'm going to be shooting in low light, the K10 is my normal camera for every day).

But I think I'd get the lenses first. It's not like K100 is such a limited camera and you can make most of the same changes by using the various menus. New lenses open up such a wonderful new way of looking at things.
01-06-2008, 09:29 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote
That's TAv.

Sv is where you set the ISO and let the camera find an appropriate shutter speed and aperture for exposure.
Oops. Sorry!