Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-5 and ...

Hi, I'm new to Pentax. I was shooting Canon for a number of years, last one a had was 60d. I've decided to switch to Pentax, K-5, as I was looking for a smaller camera with a good low light performance, more ragget body was a definite plus as well. When I had my Canon I had a Sigma 24-70mm 2.8, I liked that lens a lot, but it was kind of pricy, $1099 + tax here in Canada. I love taking pictures of my kids, 5 and 2.5 years old, so a lot of action :-);

so assuming I would use a flash in doors, what lens would you recommend? I'm open to any suggestions, prims, zooms... Just not to pricy :-).

Thanks in advance for the advice.

02-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you use flash for indoor shots, I would recommend getting a hot-shoe mount flash because the built-in one has limited capability; you can get a third-party or used flash. As for the lens, I suggest getting the DAL 35/2.4 which is relatively inexpensive as you will find that faster lens with bigger aperture yields better results for indoor flash shots.
02-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter

The DA* 16-50 is a good indoor lens, well under $1099 too. The DA 17-70 is also good though it's f/4.. not a problem for the K-5 relative to other cameras though!

If it's a true bargain you seek, the 18-50 Sigma seems to get good reviews: f/2.8-4.5, HSM silent focus, and $200 - for the price that will be hard to beat. Sigma and Tamron have 17-50s that stay at f/2.8 for a bit more cash. Check the Lens Reviews here to see if any of those speak to you.
02-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vrubel Quote
so assuming I would use a flash in doors, what lens would you recommend? I'm open to any suggestions, prims, zooms... Just not to pricy :-).
For general indoor shooting with flash, I think you would get decent results with the 18-55WR or 18-135WR and get the benefit of weather sealing. I would also suggest either the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 or 17-50 f2.8 (with a grain of salt). I say this because I had these Tammys at one point and as great as their IQ were, I was a bit disappointed with their build quality. Their excellent IQ, however; is worth reconsidering...YMMV.

I agree with the hot-shoe flash suggestion. I only use pop-up flash as last resort where a shot taken is better than no-shots taken.
Cheers!

Last edited by K57XR; 02-25-2012 at 12:11 PM.
02-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
For general indoor shooting with flash, I think you would get decent results with the 18-55WR or 18-135WR and get the benefit of weather sealing. I would also suggest either the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 or 17-50 f2.8 (with a grain of salt). I say this because I had these Tammys at one point and as great as their IQ was, I was a bit disappointed with their build quality. Their excellent IQ, however; is worth reconsidering.

I agree with the hot-shoe flash suggestion. I only use pop-up flash in as last resort where a shot taken is better then no-shots taken.
Cheers!
Hot-shoe flash for sure, I never use the pop-up, I don't like the harsh look of the strait flash, usually bounce it of the sealing or a wall. As per Tammys I have the same experience, hence the conundrum; do i get a fast tammy, and risk it, or do I get a slower Pentax like the 17-70 f4... or do I just get a 35mm prime like it was suggested above.
02-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
The DA* 16-50 is a good indoor lens, well under $1099 too. The DA 17-70 is also good though it's f/4.. not a problem for the K-5 relative to other cameras though!

If it's a true bargain you seek, the 18-50 Sigma seems to get good reviews: f/2.8-4.5, HSM silent focus, and $200 - for the price that will be hard to beat. Sigma and Tamron have 17-50s that stay at f/2.8 for a bit more cash. Check the Lens Reviews here to see if any of those speak to you.
jimr-pdx, can use share any images shot with k-5 and DA17-70?
02-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Hot-shoe flash for sure, I never use the pop-up, I don't like the harsh look of the strait flash, usually bounce it of the sealing or a wall. As per Tammys I have the same experience, hence the conundrum; do i get a fast tammy, and risk it, or do I get a slower Pentax like the 17-70 f4... or do I just get a 35mm prime like it was suggested above.
If you do choose the Tamrons I suggest getting them from a source with "good" return/replacement policy. I'm sure not all of them will have QC issues but it wouldn't hurt to have a replacement option. I considered the Pentax 17-70 f4 but quite frankly, I became a little hesitant after reading some of the SDM issues other users have reported and the cost of their repair. I had my eye on the 35mm f2.4 prime and almost bought it but pulled back when I found most of my keeper shots are either wider or longer than 35mm.
02-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You can still buy the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM for Pentax (ca. US$800) if you wish. 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM - Standard Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

Otherwise the Tamron 28-75/2.8 (the Wedding shooter's lens) should be perfect for you at a very substantial saving (ca. US$400). SP 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF); Tamron USA, Inc.

02-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
Pentaxian

As much as I love primes, and believe me that I do as I use them for about 90% of my photography, if your intention is photographing children inside then a zoom lens will probably be the best for your convenience, with the condition of using a flash (which you've already said you intend to do). Now for choosing a zoom lens you should know that even the least respected ones are miraculously better with good light (which you will have using a flash well) so even the cheap 18-55 ,which you wight or might not have, will do an excellent job, and if you still decide to go for one of the higher spec'd lenses (I can think of many good reasons to do so) I can assure you that 70mm @F4 is enough for subject isolation indoors (but you probably know that).

Cheers.
02-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The Metz 44, 48 or 50 AF-1 is a good choice for external flash (the best and priciest one is the 58 AF-2) in my opinion

As for lenses, I second the suggestion for the DA 35 2.4, plastic fantastic! And if you can get one, prolly an FA 50 1.4 (or if you can wait, in a few months the DA 50 1.8 is coming out!)

As for zooms... if you can get your hands on ol' ones like the 28-70 f/4, 28-105 f4-5.6, or for new ones the 16-45, those are good choices (though most likely you'll have to use a flash). I would like to suggest the 24-70 2.8 zooms but they're well, rather pricey. If second-hand though, you can probably get one for less than $900.
02-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a 16-45, and while it's not the fastest lens out there, on the K5 you don't have to worry too much about light. Use a bounce flash or diffuser and you're good to go. While not as nice as the primes, for snapshots it's very flexible and if you have time to devote to a shot, you can set the conditions well.