Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fishy Quote
Hi All,

for a long time I was convinced the meter of my old K10D was seriously ill- over-exposure with more than 2-3 f-stops was no exception, I had a -2 dialled in permanently and still had to dial down after that.. This was with my DA* 16-50 and SMC M 35 mm. So bad actually, that I bought a proper meter and use that when things get tricky. Then, this weekend, I tried an old 18-50 kit zoom. And hey presto- near perfect metering! Even with difficult subjects (lots of reflecting bits on a sunny day)

The 16-50 had aperture issues, but the 35 is in pristine condition.
What gives? Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks!
I've got a K10 and yes, metering an M, K and occasional A lens is usually off a bit but not out of hand.

If you are indeed using Manual mode and the Green button method for your M35, exposure compensation does not work in these settings. You would need to open or close aperture setting and/or more commonly, dial in a faster or slower shutter speed. Also good to know, the M35 is known to have some "sluggish" aperture issues. Personally, I would try the M35 in AV mode wide open and see how it fares, in AV mode you can dial in EV compensation. If it works well in this mode, it might be the aperture.

If you are using spot metering versus, center-weighted or matrix, your chances of successfully capturing a high contrast bright scene will go down.

In the end, as mentioned above, knowing how each of your lenses meters/works is the most important thing... they're all going to be a little different. The Kit Lens is one of my favorites as well

02-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
the M35 is known to have some "sluggish" aperture issues.
That is good to know, and would explain some inconsistencies I could not reproduce... Did anyone come up with a fix? That would have been a problem regardless of camera type used, right?

QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
try the M35 in AV mode wide open and see how it fares
Yeah, done that, same result. Always M mode, obviously ev+- doesn't work there... (and on a bright sunny day at least 3 stops over exposed. Complete white burn out.)

Not too wild about the kit lens for contrast and resolution, but it does the trick for focusing and measuring
02-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fishy Quote
That is good to know, and would explain some inconsistencies I could not reproduce... Did anyone come up with a fix? That would have been a problem regardless of camera type used, right?
If you take a look through these reviews, one or two mention the issue/fix: SMC Pentax-M 35mm F2.8 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I have this lens and I can tell it is not as "snappy" as my other M's but it has not given me any problems as far as off the scale metering.
03-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #19

Original Poster
Well, two weeks later and I have received my serviced DA* 16-60 back. Paid €90 (~$119) for "Refixer block frontal, remise en etat de la commande diaphragme" Whatever that is.
Seems better now, but haven't had a single day with real light... Now I can go figure out if it is camera or lens related...

03-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #20

Original Poster
We had some daylight- it must be spring!
So- when center weighted metering with the DA lens, the camera measures about 1-2 stop higher than my meter- not enough toe be picky about. With the M 35 it still overexposes quite badly, but I noticed the blades snap back faster if you flip 'em open and closed for a few times. So, when I meter (green button) a couple of times at least I get predictable results. I guess this chapter is now closed, and I'll just have to remember to pack the light meter if I use the M35.
Thanks all for your ideas!