Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I'm having a hard time believing that high ISO/DR will improve with a 24MP sensor (assuming it's APS-C). That said Sony did a great job on the 16MP sensor, so who knows...

I'm hoping the next enthusiast/pro model comes with interchangable viewfinders. Want an EVF for video/manual focus work? Just swap it on!

02-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well I also think that the PRIME M processor is for the coming generation of Pentax camera's. I don't think we will get two of them in our dslr for now. Also I don't think that we already get the next Fuji processor, but that will be out before PhotoKina, so it is possible that K-3 (If that is the APS-C successor) could have one next step into this (allowing USB 3.0 and some more futures). Supporting UHS-I so that will be quicker (but I don't think that the currend system is able to deliver all the speed that is possible with like new 90MB/s writespeed cards), having more advanced video-settings.

I don't think we will see that 24 mp sensor in our APS-C camera's. So my wild guess would be either again the 16mp sensor or a new (rumoured) 20 mp sensor from Sony.

New and improved AF system. I hope some kind of tracking AF. More AF points (maybe the 25) and some improvements on handling these.

I hope a new AWB system that is smarter and a new metering system.

Is there a need for more? Well new flash system and possible to make more advanced handling off camera flashes. Well with the highlighted things it is already a good improvement.
02-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What if the K-5 persists in production and that this 24MP upcoming model is ... one step higher than the K-5 (but still APS-C, just like Canon 7D > 60D)? Could that also be possible?
02-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
What if the K-5 persists in production and that this 24MP upcoming model is ... one step higher than the K-5 (but still APS-C, just like Canon 7D > 60D)? Could that also be possible?
It's possible but not at all probable. Pentax has had a high end and a low end for years now. I don't see that changing.

02-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I can see the K-5 without WR and a few features stripped off becoming the K-r's replacement.. and the K-5's replacement being a K-5 with 24MP sensor and Prime M and other little improvements. Maybe Dual SD card slot?
02-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Any ideas as to the timing of this "K-3" possibly arriving earlier than the fall?

I'm in a similar position (as the OP). I have a K-7, but I haven't been able to talk myself into buying a K-5 because it's been out for so long now. I'm completely aware that it's an awesome camera, it's just the psychology of the whole thing. If I buy one now—then it means that I should have bought one 2 years ago (says my brain). Plus, when the new one arrives, I know I'd regret not being more patient.

I've been hoping for April-ish—based, I guess, on the comparison to the normal cycles, and having noted that the discounts which are likely intended to clear out stock end at the end of March (right?). Any chance of that?
02-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #22

Wait for the new camera to be announced then either spring for it or if it does not offer enough to justify the price difference then go buy the K-5, you will save money. These things have gotten to be like computers and Pentax is good at market stripping techniques to get the most money out of each evolution of its cameras. Its cheaper to stay one or two models behind with technology, unless you are a pro and money is no object. I am too debating a K-5 purchase, never got a K-7 - could care less about video, FF of course would be nice but with the lens road map I have seen that is unlikely. So I shoot with a K20D for now and wait.

Remember - spend your money on the glass it holds value better, some of my FA* lenses are now worth more than what I paid for them by a lot.
02-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I would hate the K5 going more than 16 million pixels. The files are more than big enough for APSC. More is just stupid to me.
Just give the K5 a focussing system that actualy works and a better smoother operating system so that when I press preveiw etc
the picture actualy comes up etc. The ability to give correct exposure when using flash would be nice too.
I would rather see refinement rather than all new. The K5 is a good camera but it could be an awsome camera and it would be the best APSC camera
in existance with the right improvements. Look at the Honda CBR 600 or the Porche 911... been around since BC and are just honed to perfection.
The K5 has the building blocks of something great ! Its just let down through poor implemation.

02-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #24
Inactive Account

@Naturephoto1P: I appreciate the perspective… you make some good points (particularly re: glass).

If I were in your position (i.e. with a K20), I'd be a lot more willing to pull the trigger on a K-5. I shot with a K20 before I upgraded to the K-7. When I upgraded, I noticed a significant difference—primarily in responsiveness and other usability-related features (vs. simply the image quality). I've never even held a K-5, but I've been surprised (and pleased, I suppose) to see so much enthusiasm about it on the forums. It looks (physically) a lot more like an upgraded K-7 than the K-7 looked like an upgraded K20, but it sounds like most people who own the K-5 perceive it as just as significant an advancement from the K-7 as the K-7 was to the K20. In any case, you're in for a treat with whatever you end up moving to after the K20, be it the K-7, K-5 or "K-3."

@westmill: I gather that a lot of people feel the same way you do on the successor to the K-5—refine it (vs. reinventing it). That sounds like a solid line of reasoning—and it's an approach that I've also come to appreciate as a result of being an Apple enthusiast. I've had the 1st, 3rd, and 5th iPhones. With the latter two, I was initially a bit underwhelmed because of wanting something totally fresh and different. In both cases, I came to appreciate the fact that I've had the "finely-tuned" version of each of the three iPhone designs (1, 2/3, 4/5). It would be fine with me if they went to town on refining the K-5. Whatever they do, I just wish they'd hurry up with it!
02-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
and the K-5's replacement being a K-5 with 24MP sensor and Prime M and other little improvements. Maybe Dual SD card slot?
What if the Prime M is for the K-01 line only? Will there by no Prime III as the sensors from the K-7, K-x to K-5 and K-r are all Prime II?
02-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #26
Inactive Account

K5 replacement

The best and most accurate date so far is "around September", so if you can wait that long then I would. But when I upgraded to the k5 from the k7, let me just tell you from my view there is absolutely no comparison. As far as ISO with doing a side by side comparison (not technical) it looked as if K5 @ 51,200 was better quality than the K7 at 6,400. But the new one "is going to to offer much more, but hopefully not changing the design of the body" I would have to agree on the body I also hope they don't change it.
02-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by japafu Quote
The best and most accurate date so far is "around September", so if you can wait that long then I would. But when I upgraded to the k5 from the k7, let me just tell you from my view there is absolutely no comparison. As far as ISO with doing a side by side comparison (not technical) it looked as if K5 @ 51,200 was better quality than the K7 at 6,400. But the new one "is going to to offer much more, but hopefully not changing the design of the body" I would have to agree on the body I also hope they don't change it.
Agree with you... hope they keep the same body (at least more or less the same) for the k-5 replacement model. If Pentax make their own sensor, I would think they can keep the k-5 line for a bit longer (may be 3 or more years just like the 7D), unfortunately they have to do with whatever sensor is available from Sony or other manufacturers. It appears that the trend (or race) is back again to higher pixel counts and faster processors. Keeping in mind that the memory makers also want to see high pixel counts (thus bigger image files, higher demands for high capacity cards etc.). The other area of improvement would likely be seen in k-5 replacement is in the AF speed and accuracy. It is going to be interesting comes September....
02-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
What if the Prime M is for the K-01 line only? Will there by no Prime III as the sensors from the K-7, K-x to K-5 and K-r are all Prime II?
Well I can see the PRIME III and PRIME M being the exact same other than the AF control I/O's since the M uses PEAK detection on the sensor.. probably going to be the only real difference in the processor.. but the K-5 replacement will have a lot more features than the K01 for sure.
02-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The biggest advantages of K-5 over K-7 are better high ISO performance and higher dynamic range. If that helps your photography, get a K-5. If not, wait.
02-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Well I can see the PRIME III and PRIME M being the exact same other than the AF control I/O's since the M uses PEAK detection on the sensor.. probably going to be the only real difference in the processor.. but the K-5 replacement will have a lot more features than the K01 for sure.
But the Prime M on the K-01 is mostly used for CDAF right? I hope it handles phase detection well, to make it fast enough (not an expert on AF systems here, hope someone more knowledgeable sheds some light on it?)