Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2012, 01:54 AM   #31

I think from what we know from the K-5 history, it's not worth it to buy the Pentax camera right after it's out.

Reasons:

1. inflated price. Current K-5 price is WAY below what it was after the issue.

2. huge number of QC issues - buttons falling out, sensor stains, focus problems (maybe not QC though)

3. a number of technical issues - mirror flops come to mind.

Currently however, most of those issues SEEM to have been resolved - provided that you buy recently manufactured camera.

So I don't know about you but I am not going to buy the next camera earlier than after a year or two of its production.

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
24mp
what for?

at 16 MP, even the top of the line DA* 300mm looks too soft (according to photozone, its resolution figures on K-5 are way below DA40 or even the cheapo DA 35 f/2.4 AL, and their test images do look very soft even in focus areas).

24MP FF would be nice though.

Last edited by olenl; 02-29-2012 at 02:00 AM.
02-29-2012, 02:16 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So what do you guys think will be the introductory price for this Photokina-release camera?
02-29-2012, 06:05 AM   #33
Inactive Account

I may stand corrected, but I'd be surprised if anyone could justify a guess at this point without having any details on the actual camera. My inclination is to look to the historical precedent, but that seems even less promising. The K-5 was a clear and direct successor to the K-7 (in name, form and function), yet it seems that the launch price of the K-5 was a full $300 higher. Unless I've missed something (which is certainly possible), I'd call that an unconventional approach, to say the least. If the K-5 was a new class of camera or was being marketed alongside the K-7, it would make more sense to me. The only other justification I can fathom is that it was a one-time move meant to revamp their pricing strategy. Am I missing some bit of info in my analysis?
02-29-2012, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would guess they will keep the new top of the line K-5 replacement cost at around $1500 tops.. or loose more people to entry level FF market as the 5D Mark2 and D700 at the $2000 price point (Technically the D700 now has no low end price limit set by Nikon.. dealers can sell them for whatever they want.. even at their cost if they really wanted). I know that if I was looking at the K-5's replacement for $1700 and a D700 was $1800-$2000, there would not be much of a choice unless I was VERY well invested in great PK glass.. like $3000+ invested.. If the glass you've invested in is good enough, and in good shape, it will sell at a not-too depreciated value. That being said, by Photokonia, MAYBE they will come out and announce they are developing a FF upgrade path.. because face it.. if your looking for the K-5's replacement your looking for the best IQ you can get.. or a K-5 would do just fine and not need an upgrade.

03-06-2012, 04:26 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Stop Press!! A well-informed source told me about the K5 replacement, and it's going to be a throwback to days gone by. The only image I've got is a (very rough) mock-up.

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad276/sam-joseph/PentaxMX-D.jpg

I'll have one of those.

Regards
03-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A couple of small wishes from me:
1. A choice of different 5- and 11- AF point behaviours, "favor nearest" and "favor strongest", something like that. The current Auto AF point selection is so bent on picking the center point it's useless for offcenter foregrounds with cluttered backgrounds.
2. White balance readout in the top display.

Regards,
--Anders.
03-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #37

i would love to see

dual card slot
60p fullhd video
option to select aperture and shutter speed range or min max values when automated. they could also do this via firmwire update for k5
move iso button to back of the camera
articulated lcd
03-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Patajac Quote
option to select aperture and shutter speed range or min max values when automated. they could also do this via firmwire update for k5
Yeay this would be great. I also would like that in K-5. That with the setting for sport or one of those gives the camera some nice options to make choices when light changes a lot.

03-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Its a hard one, I'm hoping for a new and improved sensor with even better high iso capabilities. Also hoping for better autofocus tracking, focus peaking with live view, and be able to use catch-in-focus with any lens (without resorting to shorting contacts). I hope they make an even bigger viewfinder... maybe 0.8x magnification? Also hoping they make it a cm or 2 taller for those of us with big hands (since getting my d90 I've grown to appreciate how tall it is since I can actually grip it properly).

And most of all, I'm hoping it will be full frame. Also, i would definitely wait, technology advances so fast, who knows the improvements the successor will bring.
03-07-2012, 02:42 AM   #40
Pentaxian

I think a full frame would not replace the K-5.... it will be one step up

But if the K-5 remains in production and Pentax skips on making a "K-5 Super" and just update the camera through firmware, then all the better! After all, the K-5 is very hard to beat...
03-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #41
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
But, what's holding me back is something I read that Pentax will be introducing another DSLR at Photokina this fall.
Who cares??? 3 words...ebay & Craig's List. 'This fall' is a ways away yet. Buy the K-5 now. Enjoy it for a year or so. Sell it and buy the next model if/when the price of the new model makes it worth-while.

Life is short - why settle?
03-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Possible knower (not me) says

asahi man over in DPreviews says:

asahi man wrote:
The replacement of the K-5 will NOT have the Sony 24MP.
It will have a new! 16MP Sensor,made by Sony.
We will see the new Body in September/Photokina.
Earlier this Summer will come the new lowbudget camera,later than the 2 other at Photokina.

and

Pentax have still enough K-5 bodys on stock till September,but now they are produce the replacement.
Name is not K-3.
A couple of bodys are waiting for daylight this year.
It will be a very interesting Photokina in september.
The qualityrange is on high K-5 level of course
They are not using the actually Sony 24MP Sensor.
I like that
I think in Summer Pentax will tell something about it for public.
Best regards

Kurt Schilling posits: Could be better sensor point layout for AF, better flash system among other things ?
asahi man replies: Yes

From this thread: K-5 replacement: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Edit: asahi man also says in another thread: I am a salesman with direct contacts to pentax europe and one of the salers with highest pentax sales in europe,so very good informed.

Last edited by solar1; 03-07-2012 at 07:02 PM.
03-07-2012, 11:31 PM   #43

Sony 24MP sensor from nex7 is pretty amazing from reviews I've read, I doubt they'd make a new 16mp at all... especially that is better as it wouldn't make much sense... maybe some tweaks to the existing one?

Last edited by mrnotwo; 03-07-2012 at 11:36 PM.
03-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #44
Site Supporter

I want provision for full remote control... This would allow not only a remote viewfinder, but remote operation of the camera.
03-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #45
Veteran Member

The way I see it is that 12million pixels outperform the lenses 16 million does it with ease,
so the only thing more pixels will do is fill everything up quicker and slow everything down,
including the camera. There are some, that big files can be very handy for, but not many.
24 million seems about right for FF but not APSC. To my mind, anyone needing totally
huge prints or files, I cant understand why they wouldnt be using FF or MF anyway.
Except for the huge cost of MF obviously lol