Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's the K5 replacement going to offer?

I currently have a K7 and debating whether I should purchase the K5 ...prices are so good right now. But, what's holding me back is something I read that Pentax will be introducing another DSLR at Photokina this fall. If this is a K5 replacement, what do you folks think it will offer over the current K5?

02-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
I currently have a K7 and debating whether I should purchase the K5 ...prices are so good right now. But, what's holding me back is something I read that Pentax will be introducing another DSLR at Photokina this fall. If this is a K5 replacement, what do you folks think it will offer over the current K5?
Better video control, for sure. If not, then the K-01 will beat it in that aspect (which I am sure Pentax will not allow for their enthusiast line).
02-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The upcoming DSLRs should both have the Prime M engine, which will deliver increased processing performance as well as better video. The K-5's successor will have 24 megapixels and may or may not be a full-frame, but in any case, it should be a step above the K-5 (not that the K-5 is bad or anything, though).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
24mp and hopefully better AF.

02-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
24mp and hopefully better AF.
I tend to agree with that... sensor and AF improvement..
02-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Better AF and quality control would really boost the company's image. Also things like free tethering (even though I don't need it) and double memory slots.
02-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

All of the above available in a shiny new Hot Pink and Black Body designed by Marc Newson

02-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
All of the above available in a shiny new Hot Pink and Black Body designed by Marc Newson
Can you buy me a yellow one? It's not too far away 'til my birthday.
02-26-2012, 12:16 AM   #9
Forum Member

the K-5 is so good. but i hope to see improvements in autofocus and navigational speed in playback.

I think the K-5's autofocus can be improved with a firmware update.. Not sure if it's just mine or with all K-5s... but I find that K-5 is very conservative with using the AF assist light. This is where I'm torn. I want the light to come on more readily if I have it turned on. But I also wish the light was a simple white light instead of green. I find the green light more intrusive than white.

I had the D700 for about a month. The AF is simply miles ahead, with or without the AF light turned on, especially in low light. But D700 also utilizes the AF light more when I had it on. D7000 is probably a better comparison in terms of pricing... but I don't have much experience with it.
02-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #10

Get the k5 if you need to shoot higher iso. Otherwise i would wait.
02-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #11

i hope they improve the autofocus, i didnt find it much of an improvement over the K7...
02-26-2012, 02:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I would stick with your K-7 for now.. this fall when the next camera's are announced make the decision.. worst case scenario is you get the K-5 for cheaper than it is now... best case, you spend the extra and get the new hot-rod.
02-26-2012, 03:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I just upgraded to the K-5 from the K-7..... I was worth it...... definately worth it..
02-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The next model will probably have a newer and better (hopefully) sensor, some better AF, etc. Digital technology is changing and improving at a rapid rate. It will also be more expensive. Consider that the K5 is now dipping under $1000 on occasion and some good deals will pop up as time gets closer to the introduction of the new model. Also, most of the early issues have been fixed so buying a camera after it has been in production for a couple of years is less likely to have problems. The K5 is a real fine camera and you'll be saving a good $500 or maybe more.
02-26-2012, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Improved 'Quallity Control' in the manufacturing stage should in my opinion be the top of Pentax's list of priorities!!

They'll undoubtebly make a brilliant camera but if the new models have 'sensor-stains' or crappy 'e-dials' then they may as well give up the ghost!!
Hoping they've employed a team to do proper quality control tests before the ship...

Reputations are not easilly built but easilly wounded...