Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2012, 05:33 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 Front Wheel Problem

Hello;
After used K10D and K20D for couple of years I decided to upgrade to Pentax K7. But there is a problem at the front wheel, it doesn't work properly. Looks like working good whilwe increasing but when try to decrease, it jumps irregularly and doesn't operate as it should, it is useless.
Did anyone have this problem? and idea for the causes?
In Turkey there is a service named Elitel but couldn't take an answer from them.
Thanks in advance

02-26-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
unfortunately, you are going to have to get it repaired - and it can be a bit expensive...it cost me $160AU to get mine fixed. I have had this happen to my K7 several times. In the meantime you can use a lens with an aperture ring (if you have one) and assign shutter speed control to the rear dial in the custom functions menu.

These control wheels, or E-dials as pentax calls them are a rather annoying weakness the K7 and K5 have, I have even head of 645D users suffering from the same problem.
02-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, search the forum here PentaxForums.com - Search Forums with "erratic dial" and you will get several hits of similar problems with *ist, K-7, K-R and even 645D.

It's caused by either a faulty encoder (which needs replacement) or more likely dirt or grease on the contacts of the encoder.

I have heard of people squirting a small amount of (oil free) CO contact cleaner into the e-dial and rotating it.
He'res a thread with photos of someone who disassembeld their K-r to fix the dial with a similar problem. (Not suggesting you do that with a weather sealed K-7 but seeing the phots helps to explain)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/145847-k-r-e-dial-repair.html

If there's any warranty left on it, I would send it in.

FWIW My front e-dial is completely knackered on my K-7 because I dropped it directly on the front corner, still inside a bag though.
I found I could work around it with the rear e-dial only.
I just changed the dial setting for rear only and it its fine for Av, Tv, and even M with an apeture ring. M mode with a DA lens is a pain though.
02-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the answers.
I agree that I can live without front wheel. I used it to adjust iso now I will use the iso button.
Btw. it is annoying to have such a problem.