Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2008, 04:11 AM   #1

Is my camera a Gray-Market one?

I just snagged a K10D from Abe's of Maine (see the Reseller ratings here, yea I know I took a risk ) for 618.00 - 100.00 rebate = 518.00 (which is VERY decent) and a couple of Pentax Lenses (the Pentax DA 50-200mm and the DA 18-55 ones)...

I read in the reseller reviews about some people getting gray market cameras, but I went ahead and ordered from them (other than the pushy upsalesman everything went smooth). Well everything is here in the box, including the warranty card and all. But what I'd like to know before I wait a month to find out after sending in for the rebate is; Is there a way to tell if this is a Gray market camera now, like from the Serial or some other defining feature? It has worried me since I ordered it that I might not have a viable warranty or get my 100.00 rebate if this is Gray market.

I appreciate the help in advance

OZ

Last edited by DarkSideofOZ; 01-05-2008 at 08:32 AM.
01-05-2008, 06:32 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Abe's and gray market

I have ordered 2 cameras and lenses from Abe's and have never had any problems with them. Sure, I received a followup call telling me when items were shipping and did I need this or that-but never high pressure job. I would say if you received the camera,etc and the USA warranty cards in the boxes, then you did not get gray market items. I thought I read on the Abe's website somewhere that they did not sell/deal in any gray market items.
Hope this helps...
01-05-2008, 07:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick1946 Quote
I have ordered 2 cameras and lenses from Abe's and have never had any problems with them. Sure, I received a followup call telling me when items were shipping and did I need this or that-but never high pressure job. I would say if you received the camera,etc and the USA warranty cards in the boxes, then you did not get gray market items. I thought I read on the Abe's website somewhere that they did not sell/deal in any gray market items.
Hope this helps...
Well its not so much a "waranty card" that is in the box. There is the serial # sheet and a Registration card (which I'm assuming is the warranty card) Also, if you look at the link above in the ratings, there are several people claiming gray market items from these folks, so thats what worried me, I was going to grab the camera elsewhere but i saw no "pentax" gray market complaints, mainly Sony, Nikon.. so I went ahead and took a chance. I'm not unhappy mind you I love the camera, and they shipped it out FAST (faster than the places I ordered batteries, mem cards from by like... 4 days. ) I'm just cautious and would like to ensure I get the 100 dollar rebate and a valid Warranty. (Abes only has a 30 day return policy, and word back from the rebate folks would easily take longer.)

So again, is there a way to tell from the serial or anything?
01-05-2008, 07:53 AM   #4

Simply call them and ask if their product qualifies with the MIR. I asked another online vendor and they said no theirs was not. The price was way too cheap and I figured it was Grey but I just had to call them and ask. Call them up, they should shoot straight with you.

01-05-2008, 08:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cajuncutter Quote
Simply call them and ask if their product qualifies with the MIR. I asked another online vendor and they said no theirs was not. The price was way too cheap and I figured it was Grey but I just had to call them and ask. Call them up, they should shoot straight with you.
Therein lies the problem, most all the complaints in the Reseller Reviwews link above say Abe's Guaranteed them they were not Gray market and the warranty would cover them (the guy with the $3,000 Sony cam one got it the worst). So I need to find out on my end so that I might know BEFORE I take the risk of sending it off and letting the rebate period AND my Return window expire before I know for sure whether its good in the US
01-05-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the box contained US specific material be that a registration card or warranty card and an original manual in the English language only, you should be good. You cannot infer anything from the serial number. Pentax keeps track of those of course, and you could call Pentax.
01-05-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought my K10D, battery pack, lenses and warranty from Abe's of Maine in the summer. Used the enclosed info to get a number of rebates from Pentax. NO PROBLEMS.