Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Getty Images camera list

I was looking for this list since I had a talk with a sportsphotographer last saturday. A pro-shooter (Nikon) that is going to the London Olypics (where I'm not ). Just about working at events, He was also at the EC waterfly and I meet him a few times a year at different events. Next to his gear he also still does know a few things about photography that I still have to learn.

So the list for accepted camera's for Getty Images doesn't excist anymore. The last list was from 2010 and then the K20D and K-7 where on it.

Now they have a different approach:
Stock Photo and Digital Photography guide: Getty Images discontinue the approved camera list

We will only accept JPEG images which have been converted from uncompressed 47.5-52 MB TIFF files, (flattened, with no layers, paths or channels) - 24 bit RGB Color, 8 bits per channel (8 bit file).

For 35mm digital capture, we strongly recommend use of a professional-quality digital SLR using RAW or uncompressed TIFF format. Most compact "point-and-shoot" and consumer-level cameras do not produce images of the level of quality our customers demand, and would not be suitable for submission to Getty Images.

So how does this work out for K-5, and earlier camera's? What does this mean about TIFF.

Is this more stricter then the list before? Is this one reason more for Pentax to go into Full Frame to meet future and more advanced photofiles?

02-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I was looking for this list since I had a talk with a sportsphotographer last saturday. A pro-shooter (Nikon) that is going to the London Olypics (where I'm not ). Just about working at events, He was also at the EC waterfly and I meet him a few times a year at different events. Next to his gear he also still does know a few things about photography that I still have to learn.

So the list for accepted camera's for Getty Images doesn't excist anymore. The last list was from 2010 and then the K20D and K-7 where on it.

Now they have a different approach:
Stock Photo and Digital Photography guide: Getty Images discontinue the approved camera list

We will only accept JPEG images which have been converted from uncompressed 47.5-52 MB TIFF files, (flattened, with no layers, paths or channels) - 24 bit RGB Color, 8 bits per channel (8 bit file).

For 35mm digital capture, we strongly recommend use of a professional-quality digital SLR using RAW or uncompressed TIFF format. Most compact "point-and-shoot" and consumer-level cameras do not produce images of the level of quality our customers demand, and would not be suitable for submission to Getty Images.

So how does this work out for K-5, and earlier camera's? What does this mean about TIFF.

Is this more stricter then the list before? Is this one reason more for Pentax to go into Full Frame to meet future and more advanced photofiles?
To me this list is less strict then listing all "approved cameras". TIFF is a file format for images on comuters but i do not think there is any camera that takes pictures i tiff natively. Atleast ive never heard of any. Most do RAW format. It sounds like to me that this opens the door for cameras such as the Q which does do RAW format technically. But i could be misreading it.
02-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
TIFF is a file format for images on comuters but i do not think there is any camera that takes pictures i tiff natively. Atleast ive never heard of any.
Nikons do. The D3S, D3X and the D300s.
02-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

FYI: A 24 bit RGB, uncompressed 52MB TIFF equals approx 17.3 megapixels. 47.5 MB TIFF is just under 16 megapixels. Sounds like the K-5 would qualify, but they may frown upon older 10 and 14 megapixel models. (K10D, K200D, K20D, K-7...)

02-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Nikons do. The D3S, D3X and the D300s.
The *istD does too.
02-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
The *istD does too.
So does my Panasonic DMC-FZ5 but I don't think Getty would accept anything from that.
02-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Yep, my *istD does take TIFF, and they are generally around the 17mb in size.

02-28-2012, 02:49 AM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
FYI: A 24 bit RGB, uncompressed 52MB TIFF equals approx 17.3 megapixels. 47.5 MB TIFF is just under 16 megapixels. Sounds like the K-5 would qualify, but they may frown upon older 10 and 14 megapixel models. (K10D, K200D, K20D, K-7...)
Thanks for this. So Pentax really needs to step up with the next camera (APS-C, APS-H or Full Frame) te keep competing in this league. For me this is an important thing looking into the future.
02-28-2012, 03:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you work on any file with a plug-in for Aperture (and I'm assuming LR or PS too) then the saved file will be a large TIFF. Almost certainly above that 47MB limit. Also when exporting from Aperture (and again other PP software) you again have the option to save as a TIFF file which is far larger than a standard RAW / jpg.
02-28-2012, 04:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-7 in camera conversion from RAW to TIFF is 42.5MB, 24bit Colour, 8bit/channel, uncompressed, 14MP
Yet if I process the same RAW image in PS5 Camera RAW, I get a 71.1MB TIFF
03-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #11
Banned

Original Poster
Butt those TIFF's are for use for image-editor's when on sportsevents as Olympics or so, since news papers only take jpg. But that demands are increasing over time is very clear.
03-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I think most RAW developers will save images as TIFs. No problem there.
Or I could use my decade-old 1.1mpx Sony DSC-P20 P&S. It saves TIFs.
03-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
If they only accept JPEG, how in the hell do they know where it was derived from. And to get a JPEG from another format with layers, paths, channels and more than 24-bit color goes without saying that it will be "flattened" and end up 24-bit color.
03-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
If they only accept JPEG, how in the hell do they know where it was derived from. And to get a JPEG from another format with layers, paths, channels and more than 24-bit color goes without saying that it will be "flattened" and end up 24-bit color.
Well I did wonder about that myself. Clearly you can judge image quality on noise and stuff like that. So is you want sportsimages taken at iso1600 and above then K-7 will not pass the door anymore I guess.
03-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Are they saying they only accept JPEGs that were once that big and converted (since they are lossy), AND they also accept non-JPEGs like uncompressed TIFFs (which you can easily make from any RAW file). I think what they might really be saying is "don't use JPEG"...