Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 168
SR Disabled in Wireless Flash Mode?

Hi Gang:

I am currently using my K10D built-in flash to trigger a Vivitar 283 via a "peanut" slave on the 283. Camera is in manual exposure mode. Works fine but I noticed that SR seems to be disabled when I do this. In the PhotoME exif viewer under the Manufacturer Notes is says that SR is on but not stabilized. I tend to routinely have SR on when I hand-hold the camera but there doesn't seem much point in this situation. Anybody else encounter this?

Richard

01-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 168
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Old Timer 56 Quote
Hi Gang:

I am currently using my K10D built-in flash to trigger a Vivitar 283 via a "peanut" slave on the 283. Camera is in manual exposure mode. Works fine but I noticed that SR seems to be disabled when I do this. In the PhotoME exif viewer under the Manufacturer Notes is says that SR is on but not stabilized. I tend to routinely have SR on when I hand-hold the camera but there doesn't seem much point in this situation. Anybody else encounter this?

Richard
Well, I discovered that I don't really have to use Wireless Flash with this set-up. Perhaps that flash mode is more intended for use with Pentax flashes. The flash modes available for manual exposure are Flash On, Flash On + Red Eye, and Trailing Curtain Sync. So I just set the flash for Flash On, adjust the flash output to minus 2, and shoot. SR is then fully functional and I can set the shutter speed to anything up to 1/180 sec. The slave sensor in my Vivitar 283 is the "digital" type, engineered to ignore the preflash. Good thing because I don't see any way to turn that off.

Richard
01-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member
mattdm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,964
QuoteOriginally posted by Old Timer 56 Quote
Well, I discovered that I don't really have to use Wireless Flash with this set-up. Perhaps that flash mode is more intended for use with Pentax flashes.
Yeah -- it makes the on-camera flash send pulses of light containing control data to the off-camera units.
01-05-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 168
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Yeah -- it makes the on-camera flash send pulses of light containing control data to the off-camera units.
I figured as much. But I still wonder why SR is disabled in Wireless Flash mode. I like to sometimes work in the ambient light and that often requires a slow shutter speed. Of course I could put the camera on a tripod (I did that in the "old days" shooting film) but I like the mobility of hand-holding the camera. SR makes that easy.

Richard

01-05-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member
stewart_photo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 1,864
QuoteOriginally posted by Old Timer 56 Quote
(snip) But I still wonder why SR is disabled in Wireless Flash mode. I like to sometimes work in the ambient light and that often requires a slow shutter speed. (snip)

Part of the reason may rest in the two sentences found on page 67 of the owners manual... "The Shake Reduction function will not fully work when shooting at slower shutter speed, for example when shooting a moving subject or night scene. In this case, it is recommended that the Shake Reduction function be turned off and the camera used on a tripod." In other words, a limitation of the shake reduction system.

So, if we ignore slower shutter speeds (as in the ambient light situations you mention, Richard) and just focus on normal flash situations, the remainder of the reason may rest in the notion that flash is reasonably fast enough to freeze any movement, making shake reduction pretty much unnecessary.

stewart
01-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 168
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Part of the reason may rest in the two sentences found on page 67 of the owners manual... "The Shake Reduction function will not fully work when shooting at slower shutter speed, for example when shooting a moving subject or night scene. In this case, it is recommended that the Shake Reduction function be turned off and the camera used on a tripod." In other words, a limitation of the shake reduction system.

So, if we ignore slower shutter speeds (as in the ambient light situations you mention, Richard) and just focus on normal flash situations, the remainder of the reason may rest in the notion that flash is reasonably fast enough to freeze any movement, making shake reduction pretty much unnecessary.

stewart
Well, I've been shooting at about 1/15sec with the flash in a room with light fixtures. The short duration of the flash certainly freezes any subject motion but the light fixtures would be blurred by camera shake without SR enabled. At least in my old shaky hands. I could shoot at a faster shutter speed (up to 1/180sec) but that would defeat the idea of capturing the ambient light. The result would be an obvious flash picture, less natural looking.

As it is, my set-up does work with SR, with the flash mode set to Flash On. I guess users of off-camera Pentax flashes have to live without SR if they use the Wireless flash mode. That doesn't make any sense to me. As for the manual, obviously SR will have no effect on freezing subject motion, only on reducing the effects of camera shake. I have used it to good effect in hand-held night scenes and other low-light situations (without flash). That includes scenes with subject movement. Anything moving (people, vehicles, etc) tends to be burred but static parts of the scene are sharp. This is rather contradicts what the manual suggests.

Richard
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, flash, photography, sr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AF360FGZ won't flash in wireless mode thatguyyoulove Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 16 10-19-2010 05:08 AM
K-7 flash in Wireless mode. Doesn't work correctly? Edvinas Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 09-07-2010 06:14 PM
Wireless flash disabled on K200D when 3 sec remote delay is used? cdurfor Pentax DSLR Discussion 0 04-09-2010 05:58 AM
Why is SR disabled in wireless flash mode? panoguy Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 6 04-04-2009 04:43 AM
help with 360 flash + k200d wireless mode adamkean Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 0 03-14-2009 02:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:53 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top