Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #1

k7 parts diagram

I've had my k7 for a few years now and never had any trouble with it until recently. The metal part that sticks out of the camera body and attaches to the strap just fell out. Now when I look into the hole it came from I can see the nut that was attached to it free floating inside the case. Fastening this back in seems like an easy enough job except that I can't figure out where all the screws are to take the top part of the camera off so I can get inside. I've been looking at a repair manual for the k10d and the construction is pretty much the same. There is a screw hidden in the battery slot and two inside the pop up flash. Then there are a few along the edge of the casing, but even after I remove all this the side by the mode selection wheel doesn't want to come up. I don't want to force it when I'm probably just missing a piece of the puzzle.

Has anyone got a parts diagram, repair manual, or exploded view of what this thing looks like inside? OR Does anyone know how to take off the top cover of the camera?

Though I can still use all the functions of the camera this is really starting to be a pain. And on top of that the hole left by the strap connector goes all the way into the internal workings of the mode select wheel, so its more than just having to hold on to the camera more.

02-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You may push Pentax for a free repair b4 considering DIY since flaw like this should NEVER happen. Removing the top and re-attach the lug is not a difficult task, but the circuit can be killed if not carefully.
02-29-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you're not missing a screw, it might be the WR gasket that doesn't want to release. If you're not very careful with both disassembly and reassembly, the WR seal may be ruined in the process. I agree with wlachan, contact Pentax directly. This is obviously a defect of materials and/or workmanship, hopefully they'll take some responsibility and help you out.
02-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I believe there is a screw inside the battery compartment as well.

03-23-2012, 02:18 AM   #5

K-5 - successfull top cover removal

since the K-5 and K-7 bodies are the same - I believe this may help. The last screw is under the grip rubber, beneath the "K-5" lettering on the front of the camera. The rubber material is glued on with a double-sided adhesive tape and sticks back no problem. I peeled just the top part (about a third of the area) of the rubber piece off to get access to the screw. Weather sealing is all OK and sturdy enough as long as you don't touch it - stuff on our hands is awful for some metals and plastics... I'd advise wearing powder-free latex gloves.
03-23-2012, 02:20 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
I believe there is a screw inside the battery compartment as well.
Indeed there is. you'll need a long thin screwdriver to reach that.
06-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikhail_Kriviniouk Quote
since the K-5 and K-7 bodies are the same - I believe this may help. The last screw is under the grip rubber, beneath the "K-5" lettering on the front of the camera. The rubber material is glued on with a double-sided adhesive tape and sticks back no problem. I peeled just the top part (about a third of the area) of the rubber piece off to get access to the screw.
Thanks for that ! I was stuck at the same point with my K-7 :-)