Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

100d super, SUPER noisy

At night. I just came back in from taking my first night shots with the super. Opened in ACR, corrected white balance and BAM!! Tripple noisey images. Took them into Neat and Ninja and the results gave an unacceptable loss of detail, were talking porridge. Before leaving on my night mission i read up on advice on the forums and found, SR off, NR on, Use tripod etc.

I took great satisfaction from blasting the offending material with an aggressive delete. Wish i had kept an example to show but they have arrived at the gates of digital hell.

So i took a look at the night picks you guys have posted and CLEAN, i mean FANTASTIC shots!!

Im not new to nocturnal adventures but the noise from my super noisy Super has hit me for six. PLEASE share your Pentax noise suppression secrets.

Regards, Desperate.

01-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #2

Advice nr. 1:
Ask for advice first, delete later.

Other than that:
What ISO ?
Were the shots mostly dark ?
How long were the exposures ?
01-05-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Procyon

Shots were all ISO 200
Ranging from 5sec to 15 sec
The overall scene was fairly dark, suburban streets with a few shops.
01-05-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Make sure noise reduction is turned on. The camera's Internal noise reduction is designed to work with long exposures only. In essence it creates a dark frame exposure that negates the noise inherent in exposures longer than 1 second due to the sensor heating up.

01-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Were your shots severely underexposed? That would give you a lot of noise when ACR "fixes" the exposure.
01-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spooked Quote
Shots were all ISO 200
Ranging from 5sec to 15 sec
Please take a look at the image at Digital Cameras, Pentax K100D Digital Camera Test Image (click on the image to show full size)
it was taken with a Pentax K100D (not Super, but I think it's similar) at lighting level of 1/8 fc
1.3 lux - ISO200 - 13 sec f3.5 - so should be similar conditions to your shots.

That shot shows low noise.

So either there is something wrong with your K100D Super -
or as suggested you may have turned noise reduction OFF? (pages 106 and 146 in manual)-
digital cameras have difficulties with very long exposures -
although at ISO200 it probably should not have been quite as bad as your description.

You could simply take some more shots with the similar settings of a similar scene and see if they are just as noisy - and you can then also show them to us?
01-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My initial thoughts are why did you shoot at such a low ISO setting. Often I shoot at 800 iso and set the camera on P and get pretty good results.
Allot has to do with the lens and a picture with exif data would have really helped.
01-06-2008, 12:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Use your histogram. Push your exposure as far to the right as possible.

01-06-2008, 02:22 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Ole I suspect you have hit the nail on the head. I will try again today during the blue hour rather than wait for pitch black.

Thanks for the input Ole

Peter
01-06-2008, 02:24 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Vincent im gonna give those settings a shot and see what comes out. Ill post this evening.

Thanks

Peter
01-06-2008, 02:26 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Jodokast

Advice taken, Ill try all the suggestions given here and post results tonight. Fingers crossed

Peter
01-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spooked Quote
Hi Jodokast

Advice taken, Ill try all the suggestions given here and post results tonight. Fingers crossed

Peter
A quicker take on Jodokast's suggestion is to expose for a tiny highlight blinkie here and there. You can set your LCD display to show them. This will bias your exposure almost perfectly to the ETTR standard. Don't blink every cloud in the sky, though, just a teeny one in a cloud somewhere, or a reflection on a chrome bumper. If your highlight warnings are on those highlights that have no detail in them, your exposure will be right on the money. If there are no warnings, you are wasting exposure room, assuming of course that there are specular highlights in the scene your are photographing.