Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 04:56 AM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 453
Original Poster
I looked at the pentax kit. Its $60, which is kind of pricey for what it is. It won't solve my residue problem I don't think.Don't worry people. I'm going to take it into the repair shop for a professional clean. I'm stubborn but not completely foolish.

As far as the focusing screen....the last time I pulled it out I got a few smudges on it from my fingers. Its not fingerprints I'm talking about seeing, but a greasy sheen from the oils that makes it look a little cloudy. I've wiped it off before with microfiber with no ill effects. I will avoid alcohol though. I read here somewhere that someone used alcohol without ill effect. That's why I figured it safe to use.

03-01-2012, 05:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 453
Original Poster
Oh and thanks for the link to how to clean a focusing screen properly. That will be most useful. Looks like I can use dawn and distilled water....
03-01-2012, 05:10 AM   #18
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 9,197
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
There is a special anti static coating (Indium tin oxide) on the filter you just cleaned and that is not resistent to most fluids and METHANOL is one of them so don't use it....
Only a few sensors have that ITO coating exposed. On most sensors it is fine to use Methanol. Eclipse is nothing but Methanol.

As you have noticed yourself, E2 (formerly regarded as a safer alternative to Methanol for some sensor types) has been dropped. It is no longer considered necessary by the manufacturer.

FWIW, I'd never pay for a cleaning job. I'll be a lot more careful than 90% of all professional cleaners myself and it is just way too expensive. Most commercial cleaning kits are overprices as well. You can achieve the effect of an Arctic Butterfly for example, by buying a cheap brush from an art shop. Have a look at the "Pixel Sweeper" article. Wet cleaning DIY is a bit more involved, but if done right will be no worse than buying an expensive kit.
03-01-2012, 05:15 AM   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 453
Original Poster
Well I have a k-7. Can anyone clarify if the coating is exposed or not? I would much rather lose $50 than risk damaging the coating with an unknown cleaner. I agree that I don't like having others do things, but I'm beginning to think it might be best to err on the side of caution here. I couldn't afford to lose my camera for a whole month if I can avoid it....

03-01-2012, 05:24 AM   #20
Veteran Member
timh's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wales
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 445
QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote
Visibledust makes some nice products for cleaning you camera. It's all pricey, but worth it [...]
A few years ago (2008?) I found myself in New Zealand with a dirty sensor, ended up buying a Visibledust kit from the nearest camera shop for some seemingly outrageous amount of money. Followed the instructions, it just took 1 swab to clean the sensor completely.

And it turned out to be pretty good value, because I still have the kit and have only used about half of it, I think I've cleaned a sensor about once a year since.
03-01-2012, 07:36 AM   #21
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 453
Original Poster
Google Places

After reading some reviews I've decided not to take it to the repair shop. I cannot justify a $40 inspection fee + the $50 he is going to want for the work. 2 good reviews and 13 scathing reviews. I will see what my friends cleaning solution contains and will see what the local camera shop has. He did say he had some cleaning kits.
03-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #22
Veteran Member
philippe's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Flanders Fields
Posts: 463
QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
I looked at the pentax kit. Its $60, which is kind of pricey for what it is. It won't solve my residue problem I don't think.Don't worry people. I'm going to take it into the repair shop for a professional clean. I'm stubborn but not completely foolish.

As far as the focusing screen....the last time I pulled it out I got a few smudges on it from my fingers. Its not fingerprints I'm talking about seeing, but a greasy sheen from the oils that makes it look a little cloudy. I've wiped it off before with microfiber with no ill effects. I will avoid alcohol though. I read here somewhere that someone used alcohol without ill effect. That's why I figured it safe to use.
Yes, the Pentax kit is some what pricey, but that kit allows for more than one cleaning, actually, as long there are of those sticky paper sheets left, then one can go on cleaning...
Mine is 4 years old now and I am half way the 'sticky papers'!
Of course, not all the sensor cleaning can be done with that kit, and perhaps not your residue problem too, but a lot can be done with it, even lens cleaning!

Last edited by philippe; 03-01-2012 at 09:49 AM.
03-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #23
Veteran Member
philippe's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Flanders Fields
Posts: 463
QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
Google Places

After reading some reviews I've decided not to take it to the repair shop. I cannot justify a $40 inspection fee + the $50 he is going to want for the work. 2 good reviews and 13 scathing reviews. I will see what my friends cleaning solution contains and will see what the local camera shop has. He did say he had some cleaning kits.
My goodness, that's not for free! Over here I would pay 50 for the job, done in 24h, and they take the risk!

03-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #24
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 453
Original Poster
I called photographic solutions and asked them why they discontinued e2. They said that after years of testing, they found the original eclipse to be just as safe. They guaruntee it against damage to the sensor and will pay for any damage their product causes. I'm pretty sure my friend has the eclipse kit, so I am going to give it a shot later on today. Photographic solutions assured me that pure methanol won't damage the sensor. I have also read reports that methanol is all nikon uses themselves. If anyone has destroyed an aa filter with eclipse, please chime in now before I make the same mistake. I have a k7 which uses a samsung sensor. If my research is correct, it does have the tin oxide coating. The only reports I've read of sensor damage occurred to 5dmk1 users, so maybe canon did something different with the coating there. All of the other canons with dust shakers seem to be unaffected. Anyone else with success/failure stories??
03-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #25
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 453
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
My goodness, that's not for free! Over here I would pay 50 for the job, done in 24h, and they take the risk!
Did you look at the reviews?
03-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #26
nah
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Westminster, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 280
Sensor Klear for me, the glass filter on the top of the sensor is a lot more resilient than you think.
03-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #27
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
Why is evereybody always experimenting with those 'other' cleaning kits, Pentax has probably the word's best cleaning kit in house (the O-ICH 1)?
It's so good that LEICA is using it in their Solms factory.
What would we want more?
Good luck getting smears off with that thing
03-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #28
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Only a few sensors have that ITO coating exposed. On most sensors it is fine to use Methanol. Eclipse is nothing but Methanol.

As you have noticed yourself, E2 (formerly regarded as a safer alternative to Methanol for some sensor types) has been dropped. It is no longer considered necessary by the manufacturer.

FWIW, I'd never pay for a cleaning job. I'll be a lot more careful than 90% of all professional cleaners myself and it is just way too expensive. Most commercial cleaning kits are overprices as well. You can achieve the effect of an Arctic Butterfly for example, by buying a cheap brush from an art shop. Have a look at the "Pixel Sweeper" article. Wet cleaning DIY is a bit more involved, but if done right will be no worse than buying an expensive kit.
It never hurts to be careful right, i remember reading it so that's why i brought it up.

It would be a hefty repair cost to replace the sensor...
03-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #29
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 453
Original Poster
So I tried my friends kit. It was delkin sensor solutions. It cleaned off the residue but left its own and did not flash off well. Also my dust spot is still there.

I tried several times and it cleared up, but still traces of residue were left. I can see the dust spot easily with my eye and good light. It is white. I gave up after several cleanings failed to remove it. Now I wonder what to do. I think I might try spending the money. I didn't scratch the filter from what I can tell. I just see cloudiness where the cleaner dried irregularly. If I wipe it again it moves, so I don't think I did permanent damage. What a bummer. Its a pretty big dust spot too. I wouldn't attempt touching the sensor if I though it was minor.
03-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 453
Original Poster
Delkin said their product was safe on the website for the k-7. So that's why I tried it. I wouldn't recommend them at all. Their solution is awful.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, dust, photography, residue, sensor, spot, tomorrow
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cleaning a K-X Sensor..... How? Silverkarn Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 09-15-2010 09:08 AM
Sensor cleaning for the clueless Seafood Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 03-26-2010 11:00 PM
Sensor cleaning. Modus Operandi Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 17 03-12-2010 04:48 PM
Sensor cleaning: Pec-Pads or Sensor Swabs gadgetnu Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 29 09-24-2007 10:52 AM
Sensor cleaning > Sensor Swab > void warranty? Twinky Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 07-28-2007 01:10 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:41 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top