Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
Yes, the Pentax kit is some what pricey, but that kit allows for more than one cleaning, actually, as long there are of those sticky paper sheets left, then one can go on cleaning...
Mine is 4 years old now and I am half way the 'sticky papers'!
Of course, not all the sensor cleaning can be done with that kit, and perhaps not your residue problem too, but a lot can be done with it, even lens cleaning!
The Pentax lollipop worked great for me.... twice, then the third time it left sticky gunk all over the sensor and I had to get it professionally cleaned

03-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I think once I get this cleaned properly I am going to invest in the pentax kit. Wet cleaning makes me really f***ing nervous.

Edit: I've heard of the pentax kit leaving residue. I think. That happens if you apply any pressure sideways on it. I've heard lots of mixed reports about it. The amazon reviews all complain about it. Hmmmmmmm.

Last edited by zosxavius; 03-01-2012 at 04:45 PM.
03-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
Delkin said their product was safe on the website for the k-7. So that's why I tried it. I wouldn't recommend them at all. Their solution is awful.
Really.
I have used Delkin Devices Sensor Scope wet cleaning kit ($ US 70.00) with K100D lots of times and with K7 couple times with great results. The non alcohol solution works fine if you follow the instructions, only put one or two drops on the swab. If saturated, you will end up with wet streaks that the dry wiping can not take care of. The instructions are pretty clear, at least on the sensor scope kit that I have.

Best of luck.
03-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The Pentax lollipop worked great for me.... twice, then the third time it left sticky gunk all over the sensor and I had to get it professionally cleaned
Same here, that's why I finally got the visibledust wet cleaning system kit. One swipe and it was all taken care of. It's been 2 years & I only had to use it 3 times for 2 cameras. Can't imagine having to bring this in at $50 a pop.

03-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I know that some use a sensor pen to clean it but i find that a bit iffy myself...
LENSPEN is The superior Camera lens cleaning system for all fine optics, rifle scopes, camcorder and camera viewer screens, binoculars
03-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote
Same here, that's why I finally got the visibledust wet cleaning system kit. One swipe and it was all taken care of. It's been 2 years & I only had to use it 3 times for 2 cameras. Can't imagine having to bring this in at $50 a pop.
Got the butterfly thing from them and that works well with dust and other small things but it's dry cleaning.
03-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #37
Pentaxian

I used a Sensor pen and what I found is that although it can remove wet residue (eg clean up from a Pentax lollipop), it leaves carbon dust all over the sensor in the process that cannot be blown off with a rocket blower.

Yeah, I've had my fair share of bad luck when it comes to sensor cleaning....
03-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Really.
I have used Delkin Devices Sensor Scope wet cleaning kit ($ US 70.00) with K100D lots of times and with K7 couple times with great results. The non alcohol solution works fine if you follow the instructions, only put one or two drops on the swab. If saturated, you will end up with wet streaks that the dry wiping can not take care of. The instructions are pretty clear, at least on the sensor scope kit that I have.

Best of luck.
Its possible the bottle I had was contaminated. It got to the point were I was making sure that the swab I was using was almost bone dry and it would flash off pretty quickly but it was still leaving visible spots of hazing. After several attempts (and much teeth gnashing) it still did not remove the dust particle and managed to leave a fiber from the wipe that the sensor shake won't eliminate. So I. Basically made my problem worse without fixing my first issue. I did follow their instructions. They say to wipe the sensor with a dry wipe. I read that this was a big no-no on several sites, and I gave in and tried it to see it it helped. It left streaks everywhere and made me think I just scratched the filter. That was their instruction though. I freaked out and wiped again and it cleared, but still.....

The local repair shop wants 125 dollars. Ludicrous. I've also read nothing but bad review after bad review of them online. More often than not cameras come out of there less functional than when they arrived. They also like to add on unecessary repairs.

I guess my only option is to try some eclipse and some better swabs maybe.

03-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Well, first of all, I only use the brand stuff on that brand gear because I am convinced that the 'brand people' know better than I what they are doing and why.
When there is an additional issue, like a smear that would not come off or any other thing like that, I have it solved by these 'brand people', so I would send my camera to the official Pentax service, and I would be willing to pay for it
It's also a matter of warranty, every intervention of a official service center has 6 months of warranty
03-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
Its possible the bottle I had was contaminated. It got to the point were I was making sure that the swab I was using was almost bone dry and it would flash off pretty quickly but it was still leaving visible spots of hazing. After several attempts (and much teeth gnashing) it still did not remove the dust particle and managed to leave a fiber from the wipe that the sensor shake won't eliminate. So I. Basically made my problem worse without fixing my first issue. I did follow their instructions. They say to wipe the sensor with a dry wipe. I read that this was a big no-no on several sites, and I gave in and tried it to see it it helped. It left streaks everywhere and made me think I just scratched the filter. That was their instruction though. I freaked out and wiped again and it cleared, but still.....

The local repair shop wants 125 dollars. Ludicrous. I've also read nothing but bad review after bad review of them online. More often than not cameras come out of there less functional than when they arrived. They also like to add on unecessary repairs.

I guess my only option is to try some eclipse and some better swabs maybe.
Sounds like something was amiss. This is the kit I use, happy with it so far. The vacuum is pretty useless BTW.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:47 PM.
03-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried again unsucessfully to dislodge the huge chunk of dust today using a photographic solutions swab as a brush, which is not a good idea. Actually I didn't try, one of my pro photographer friends tried. It won't budge. Any idea on what to do with a stuck piece of dust? I am going to order some eclipse or see if the camera shop has some tomorrow. I think they do. It seems wet cleaning won't even dislodge it though. Any ideas? Anyone had a really stubborn piece of dust? Oh and whatever residue the solution I used last left, it doesn't seem to impact image quality in any way and my sensor seems clear and not cloudy in test shots. Time to try eclipse I think.
03-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #42

Try using water as a solvent on the big spot. After clean with Eclipse/methanol to remove the smudges from the water. I clean my monitor with alcohol but sometimes there are spots that it will not remove. I use water to loosen the spots then clean again with alcohol. Water disolves different organics/minerals than alcohol. If water won't dissolve it at least it would be safe and you would be no worse off than now.

Use a Q-tip for spot applications. I use Q-tips and methanol for cleaning. It requires more care but with careful technique I am left with a clear sensor and no streaks.

Don't use alcohol on the focus screen. Alcohol softens some plastics. Use water, dish soap and an artist brush. Rinse with distilled water. Blow dry.
03-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bratt Quote
Try using water as a solvent on the big spot. After clean with Eclipse/methanol to remove the smudges from the water. I clean my monitor with alcohol but sometimes there are spots that it will not remove. I use water to loosen the spots then clean again with alcohol. Water disolves different organics/minerals than alcohol. If water won't dissolve it at least it would be safe and you would be no worse off than now.

Use a Q-tip for spot applications. I use Q-tips and methanol for cleaning. It requires more care but with careful technique I am left with a clear sensor and no streaks.

Don't use alcohol on the focus screen. Alcohol softens some plastics. Use water, dish soap and an artist brush. Rinse with distilled water. Blow dry.
I've used a q-tip and methanol as well on a tough speck (don't press too hard)and followed up with a pec pad wrapped around a swab (with a couple drops of methanol). I usually use the blower for good measure too. I had no luck with the solution I got with the visible dust swabs. (nothing like good old solvent) I have had two used bodies with really dirty sensors that must have taken 10 cleanings. I suspect they were smokers, though it could have just been pollution as they were both from NYC.
03-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Anybody tried using one of those spraycans with air?
03-05-2012, 02:10 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Anybody tried using one of those spraycans with air?
I wouldn't, just because the air quickly gets ice-cold and subjecting the delicate bits like your sensor to that seems like a bad idea all around. Also, all it would take would be one bit of anything caught in the canned air's plastic tube to become a rapidly fired projectile that could go splat against the sensor as well.

That said, I had a bit of lint get caught up in the gears controlling my shutter and I did take canned air to that, and it dislodged the piece gumming up the works.