Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-x AF "debug menu" calibration methodology question

Hey all.

In the interest of getting the absolute sharpest possible images from my K-x bodies, I'm planning on calibrating the AF through the debug menu. Here's what I'm wondering: Would it be better to use an AF lens at it's widest aperture (f3.5) & autofocus for the test, OR would it be better to use a fast manual focus f1.4 50mm lens at it's widest aperture (for the narrowest possible DOF and theoretically the most accuracy) and calibrate via the focus confirmation?

I'm guessing the focus confirmation/catch in focus is triggered by the same mechanism that is responsible for autofocus.

So, whaddya think?

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)

03-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter

You'll need to calibrate every lens that is focusing off. On my K-x, my DA55-300 is perfect but my Tamron 17-50 is way off. Unfortunately with the K-x, you'll need to make a mental note of each setting and remember to change the calibration when you swap lenses. Having the camera recognize the calibration settings for each lens is a big benefit of the K-5.
03-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is only 1 setting but changing the setting with lens changes would be too fiddly for me. I think you would be better to choose the lens that has the shallowest depth of field - that you regularly use. For me I ended up with a setting that is a bit of a compromise between my the lenses I regularly use (which changes from time to time).
In my case I'm currently using Super Tak 50 1.4, Sigma 17-70 and FA100 f2.8 macro the most. I tweaked it for the 50 f1.4, even though the close focus of the FA100 challenges DOF more because I mostly visually (or LV) focus for the macro, where as I rely on Focus indicator more for the Tak.
03-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
As it turns out, it's pretty much on the nose with both bodies, so I think I'm good. I'm just never satisfied til I tweak everything just so.